Register now to get rid of these ads!

June 2011 Banger Meet, Any Questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jun 1, 2011.

1. walls

walls

Anyone know what fenders and running boards fit a 31 Vic? Are they unique to that model?

2. Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  3. 97

4. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Just built and tested the fish carb, 98mpg, crazy throttle response [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Ooh! I've a semi down draft Fish carb I've been wanting to try. You sure about the 98mpg though...?!

6. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

i'm just going off legend with 98, really smoothed out the engine though......will drive it today. who needs overdrive and gears when you have a fish

7. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

SPEEDBARRONS
    How is it on top end
    I have a fish I wont to try just because a buddy gave one to me but the bore size on them are small I am looking for a twin to it so I can try a twin fish set up

8. Maybe I should have worded it differently but how many answers were received to the question posted? On the Ford Barn there are very helpful people who are experts in this subject just waiting for some one to ask this type of question so they can display their knowledge. As an aside, I think people on this site are more concerned about questions regarding taking fenders off rather than putting them on. This may not be a fact but it IS my opinion. The people asking banger meet questions on the Barn are for the most part seeking info on mild modifications to gain a little better performance so they can keep up with the "sleepers" in their group. They are not, as a rule, racers such as are most of the people here. Some here, such as the "Junk Yard Kid", even have their own race track! I think you will find the Barn has become slightly more tolerant of late. I have pointed out to a couple of their PC police that they bitch whilst they are running cheater heads and touring cams with counter balanced cranks with electronic ignitions so the engine looks stock so they can bitch about hot rods. I still think the fender question would be better asked on the Barn! I will try to clarify my answers so as not to feed the lurkers, sharp shooters and nit pickers on these forums. Of course, I will admit I'm one of the worse (worst?) a them!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. What size Fish is it? I run an 1-1/4" single SU just fine - although I'm planning to try a pair.
    [​IMG]

The CFM figures of the 1-1/2" Fish I have looked encouraging enough to give it a go sometime once I work out the manifold...
    [​IMG]

Note that's never gonna work as the float bowl is set for a 45° angle.

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

In case some of you will be in North Orange County this Saturday:

[​IMG]

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I never did find any info on my fish. It Is a M1-330 the bore is 1.530
    I posted a pic last mouth I think but I cant find it in my photo bucket now I must need some sleep:rolleyes:

12. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

I'm thinking the bore is the 1.5, I had heard rumor that they wernt great on vacuum so I made my intake runner 1.25 it has alot of vacuum, didnt have time to drive it yet, fires right up and I dont have to shut the gas valve, this carb was originally run on a 28 chevy, pretty small intake runners, mine came with photo copys of a how to on the fish and history

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You posted about it in April:

I'd love to know more about Fish carburetors. I thought they were more about fuel economy than performance.

-Dave

14. Elrod

Elrod

I recently had the fun of blowing a head gasket on the cabby. I did a little research on the Ford Barn and found a few people who said they discovered that the middle of their Brumfield head was low. I took a straight edge and found that I had the same issue. I noticed that a few people mentioned that the head is not supported at this area. This may be the possible reason.

Anyways, I brought the head to my buddy's shop, Day Custom Engine in Richardson, TX (http://www.daycustomengine.com) and we had to skim off .010 to get the head flat again. It was also slightly warped at the front by the drivers front of the head but only by .003. Torquing head bolts would have corrected that, but I now have a truly flat head. You can see the pictures and video below.

Area drawn with sharpie is the low spot....

[​IMG]

..so we built up a support table on his high speed mill..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fired up the mill. You can watch the video below...

[​IMG]CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO

[​IMG]

Here we are at about .007. Notice the center is still low and hasn't been cut yet.

[​IMG]

And after the last pass at .010. Flat head again!

[​IMG]

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think this is outside the realm of a Ford Barn question, but if it is, tell me and I’ll take it over there.

Has anybody cut down a ‘30-‘31 radiator to work in a ‘23-‘27 shell? I happen to have an old Model A radiator in my parts pile, and it seems a shame to let it gather dust or be thrown out when I might be able to use it.

-Dave

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I can't help if it can or can't but you might wont to look into selling yours and using that cash to help pay for a new custom radiator.

17. walls

walls

18. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Hey guys id really like to post up the video of my race track but cant seem to get it to work. It tells me there are some security thing missing. Then the work computer has its own issues with the other video. Anyone want to help me out? Pm me with an email and i think i can e-mail them. Im not real computer savoy.

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I can’t imagine it would bring much. The tanks are good, but the core looks iffy to me. It’s not an original Ford radiator even.

Maybe I’d spend more trying to make it work than I would on a new Brassworks or something.

-Dave

20. I'm right there at the moment Dave - had nothing but 30/31 rads but they're too narrow so I've picked up a 28/29 rad which seem to have a wider core that fills the T shell better. It'll end up with a new core anyway so it's just for the tanks. Then it's fun with fans and water pumps - I'd prefer to run a mechanical fan but the stock blades will be cutting through the top hose...

21. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for sharing this info!!!!

Are you running this head on a B block?
    Are you running a pressurized cooling system?

I have found that the small dia.(@1/4") holes near the head studs, and on the outside of #1 and # 4 cylinders are the source of my gasket failures.
    I have plugged those holes with set screws and so far have not had problems since. In your case, you would have to do it in the head too.

22. I wasn't trying to kick you, I was trying to help you!

There have been 12 or 13 posts on here since you asked your question and no one took the time to answer it. Look how fast they jumped onto the radiator chopping question. Your question probably would have been answered with in an hour over on the barn. I just left there after reading Bruce Lancaster's latest informative post regarding combustion chambers. You do know you are starting to sound like Nixon.

23. walls

walls

I know, just kidding.
    I usually don't read on the Ford Barn. Although until recently, I haven't really had a reason to. It really is the "restoration" equivalent to this site and it has a ton of info.

I'll be back though.;)

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is the video from Junk Yard Kid. Looks like a lot of fun!!!!!

25. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Thank you crazydaddyo! and thank you banger thread guys. Ive had thoughts of a v8 in this little truck. But these little bangers are too much fun.

26. Thanks to both of you! Brings back memories!

27. kevins29truck

kevins29truck
    from ohio

anyone have any experience with a winfield A cam ground down for a T block. Did gemsa get winfields masters on cams? I have a cam from gemsa, but wondered if anyone knew whether it was winfields work that gemsa ended up acquiring? Anyone with some history please help.

28. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Hi guys. Been doing a few searches for bolting a Model A Banger to a '39 Ford Toploader 3 speed manual transmission.

This is the combo I am planning to run.

Can anyone give me a detailed rundown of the process involved in bolting the banger and the toploader together? E.g, mounts, bell housing/adapting, etc etc... Pictures would be great.

Also for more general discussion/tips.... I can only imagine how many times you guys have been through this, but I would like to run my ideas for how I'm planning to hop up the Banger past you all. Let me know if I'm on the right track..... I am a newbie to Bangers.

Firstly I'll add that I'll be driving this just about daily.....

Plan is for a high-comp head. From what I have read, 6:1 is the highest I should go on a reasonably stock motor??

Next is a 2x2 intake. Are 97's the best carb to run? 94's would be a bit too much for the little banger correct? I know running a single carb intake works well with the little bangers, would it run a lot better?

Electronic ignition. Once again, from what I've read and from my little knowledge, an electronic ignition would help the Flatty big time. Which one should I run? I am on a tight budget (the usual story). However, what's gotta be done, has gotta be done, right?

Custom exhaust header.

And lastly, possibly a model 'B' camshaft.... What is involved in swapping this in to the 'A' Banger?

I would also love to find some time to do a bit of porting and possibly relieving but not sure on that yet.....

Anyhow, let me know what ya'll think?

Many thanks,

HC.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In 2000 I teamed with Jack Costella to run a 3 liter OHC V6 Nissan in his liner for the records in F/FS and F/ BGS. I took the OEM cams to Dema Elgin to have them reground. As usual Dema started telling me all kinds of techanical stuff that I don't understand, when he stopped and said "It's really a Winfield grind. They all are." FYI

30. RussTee

RussTee

they are a bit tricky to fit as you have to notch the block thread the cam in and then fit the cam bushes grind is as the fox said