Register now to get rid of these ads!

June 2011 Banger Meet, Any Questions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Ron!!! She's a blast to drive!! I still want to go with 2 carbs instead of the 2 stage 2bbl when funds allow. I was actually pondering today on making my own intake. I wonder how 2 Rochesters will do........:rolleyes:

2. Piewagn

Piewagn

MB is correct Mike.....It's a Lion Speed Head III..... 7.5:1

3. ok CDO
    i did it....i think
    i am still running my stock a dizzy for this weekend. I put the spark lever all the way up. set it to about 8 deg (timing marks on the crank pulley) the car idels down and runs well. carbs flow the same on the unisink. pull the advance down and the rpms gain alot. no tach but from like 600-1200 with advancing the timing. Also it is pretty slugish off the bottom with the advance fully retarded. do i need to bump the timing, set the carbs again so they idle down. then see where i am at when advancing the timing with the lever
    thanks
    tk

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Without being there and see what it is doing, I'd check to see that the timing lever isn't making the throttle work too.

If you pull the timing lever down a third of the way down, does it leave better? if it does and it isn't knocking or pinging, then that would work for me. Run the lever full retard for starting, then run in more advanced when it is running. If I remember correctly, the lever will get you @ 40deg. or total timing.

What jets do you have in the carbs? I was running .035 jets.

Also as Jim mentioned, make sure there is no vacuum leak where the manifold bolts to the block and where the carbs mount to the Manifold.

It is tough to trouble shoot these thing with out being there.

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

One more think about carb sync'n ...... Be sure that the carb's linkage is disconected! This way moving one throttle screw doesn't influance the other

AND sometimes the little red piston gets stuck in the tube

Now I am going to sit with a cup of tea and listen to Quick Silver and try to remember the 60's

6. Earlier this week we watched the Dave Brubeck story. I sat with my beer and listened to Take Five, hard to beat cruisin' music from the 50's 60's. Damn, where have all the 8 tracks gone?

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Brubeck's "Take Five" is my favorite album of all time!!!!

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Have you heard his kid play that tune with the ol man?:cool:

9. Oh, the music teacher in me is LOVIN' this OT banter :)

10. Oh, the music teacher in me is LOVIN' this OT banter :D

11. rmak

rmak
    from Ohio

"Jazz at Oberlin" Very cool early Brubeck/Desmond. I saw the "Take Five" version of the quartet at Finney Chapel at OC in the 60's. If you're a real Brubeck affectionado, try "Reunion" with Brubeck, Desmond and Dave Van Kriedt on tenor sax. Very interesting.
    Anyhow, sorry banger purists. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.:D

12. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

I wouldn't apologize, music is an important part of bangering! a little booze helps too! p.s. lately I've been revisiting the Doors, to keep on the thread, here's some pictures of a bbq I went to today. the radial engine is 7 4-bangers wrapped around a crankshaft, the orange '32 RPU belongs to Gordon Gearheart, it has a Bob Mckinney 2 cam head on a Donovan block backed up by a Chrysler auto trans. the black '29 belongs to Max Mclain, it has a Jenkins head on a "B" block. If anyone is interested I can download more. Pat

Attached Files:

13. BHT8BALL - great pics - those REM heads, there is a guy down here in NZ that has one on a Donovan in a handmade special. I am yet to go and see it.

If you wouldnt mind posting more pics then that would be GREAT! Thanks!

14. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

I haven't had any luck sending more than 5 pictures at a time so I'll space them out & add a few comments, Pat

15. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

The riley FINALLY came back from the machine shop.. So now it's getting put together and start tuning. I need to build both intakes to get the Winfields on top of the motor..
    Any suggestions on runner length? The ports are two inches in diameter...

001.jpg

003.jpg

16. What is the manifold you have on it in the photos? Has it been opened up to 2".

17. godspeedbear

godspeedbear
    from golden

They are just stock manifolds, I don't think they can be opened up far enough.. I am keeping my eyes open for other banger intakes. I'm thinking it will be easier to build what I want...

18. Bodger45

Bodger45

^^^^^I bet you can't wait to fire that up. It looks great, congrats.^^^^^

19. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

Still limited on number of pictures I can send. I can't tell you much about the restored sprint car except it's done real nice. This event is put on by Chuck Wentworth, he owns Antique Aero that reproduced the wooden framed airplane from scratch including the 4 cyl. engine. Next picture is Chuck standing next to a stock "T"

Attached Files:

20. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

#29 is the right side of Max's '29, #31 is a work in progress, #38 is a well done restoration, the '34 3 window I included because I was hoping it had a Cragar in it. Pat

Attached Files:

21. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Hey all, I got a question about turning model a drums now that I'm working at an auto shop. I hear the stock size is 11'' how much can I take off and still be safe? Also one more what is the diameter for the exhaust pipe at the header? Thanks telecustom.

22. RussTee

RussTee

Day from hell!!!! more quakes here more damage and more injuries. This is going to put the reconstruction on my RP back cant risk putting the car on jacks and i will have to do some major work on my house to repair damage.

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That' s bad news. I hope all of your family is in good health.

Stay safe !!!!

24. Russ; even though we are many miles away , our hearts go out to you !!!!
    Take care,
    Ron

25. Cast or pressed steel

26. RussTee

RussTee

Thanks guys it is nice to be able to come here for a little sanity at least it is a fine day here today but dam cold with a frost and no heating. Re brake drums with the cost of cast brake drums being so cheap now and for safety sake I would not waste my time with stock drums even restorers here are taking their stock drums off and replacing them with cast units and a Flat Head Ted kit This Is a cost effective Safety Mod

27. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

28. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I got to drive my car this week end and drive it to work today. My new brake upgrade worked our real nice. My car stops better then any thing in my drive way now.
    Thanks to the help from Just plain Bill & Flathead Ted

The only thing that sucks is that I took 3 leaves out on my rear spring and cleand up the rest and painted them with some spring paint and now the rear is to soft and and my stock shocks don't work for shit now. I wish I didn't cut the leave I took out.
    any one have a part # for a rear shock that looks good and works
    thanks Bill

29. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

I'm going to say pressed steel. They look like the original style, but may have been replaced at some point...

Got them off the car tonight and all of them are at 11'' and look to not have been turned before.