Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Jumping in the deep end

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

F-8's had the Lincoln engine, like my friend Bob's 1949. IMG_0521.JPG

2. flatford39

flatford39

That's a beautiful truck...what kind of brakes are on it??? Did they have air brakes ten or were they still hydraulic?

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I built a test stand using a front half of a rusty 37 frame, ugly, but handy. IMG_0583.JPG

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I don't really know about the brakes, but he has an F-1 to match. IMG_6790.JPG

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man...what beauties! I bought a '50 F6 flatbed from Dennis Moomjean 5 years back. It had a '52 Olds 88 in it, was new when installed in '53. (!) I changed oil, did a minor tune and it lit immediately, along with the infamous Olds hydraulic lifter chatter...
    Quieted down in 2 minutes, ran like a new one.
    Sold it, my friend Lester had a '34 Coupe to put the engine in.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, dumb question time. There's no more oil flowing out of the motor and it doesn't look like there's any gunk up in there. How much do I add? I know the motor will hold five quarts with the optional external oil filter, but do I need to do anything special to 'wring it out' or do I just dump five quarts in it now?

10W30? Does synthetic or non-synthetic matter?

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I wouldn't use synthetic. Also, after you add the oil and have a guage in place, leave the spark plugs out, when spinning it over. That way, you can get a feel for compression on all cylinders, before your initial start up.

alanp561 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  8. RMONTY

RMONTY

trevorsmith I have the stuff together to whip up a stand. I have a bunch of 2" square tubing and whatnot. Should be set for a stand on Sunday.

9. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to Sunday!

I ended up with 15W-40 Rotella - apparently popular for flatheads, and, conveniently, on sale for $15 a gallon.

I can't get the oil filter canister lid(?) off - it's the only thing I've encountered so far that's given me any trouble. It's seized up pretty tight. No point pulling the filter right now I guess since I don't have a new one to put in but I'd like to be able to when I do.

10. alchemy

alchemy

Remove the bolt, then take a sharp edged hammer and slide it up the side of the canister, tapping the lid upward all around. Be ready to catch it when the spring flings it upward.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Whack the lid with a plastic hammer on the lower lip.

kidcampbell71 and trevorsworth like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

These are the kind of threads I like. Takes me back 25 years, when I started fooling around with Flatheads, for the second time.

13. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was able to wrangle it off but now I don’t understand the filter cartridge inside lol. It spins in place 360 degrees but lifting up on the handle does nothing.

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Drive a screwdriver into the cartridge and pry it out using the rim of the housing, as a fulcum .

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Electricity IS magic, but there are many magicians on the HAMB, so just ask and we'll get ya fixed up.

winduptoy and trevorsworth like this.
  16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol whoops, must have nicked the gasket on the cleanout. Got a nice steady drip now. There goes $20 worth of oil.

OK, got a drip pan under it to catch it & I'm done for the night.

I was able to get the oil filter out using the fulcrum method. Concluded I didn't need to be messing with it right now and put it back. Very clean inside the canister.

Looks like tomorrow I need to buy some gasket material and another 5 quarts of oil.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  17. As a young Mechanic I was taught when removing a Flathead starter to Loosen both bolts about 3/8". Then tap on the section of the Starter that rests against the bellhousing till it comes loose and pull it back against the through bolt heads. Then continue removing the Top bolt till it comes out of the threads in the bellhousing and tip the starter away from the motor. Next get a 1/4" nut and put it on the top bolt and tighten it up. Then continue removing the lower bolt. This keeps the starter housing from coming apart into 3 sections. Now you can wrestle the starter past the ring gear without it falling apart in your hands.

18. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Just an observation, clean the engine ( exterior ) really good before removing pans , parts of pans , carbs whatever. I have used a shop vac to get as much loose dirt as possible. Then brush, used various pointed tools, clean crevices, vacuum again wipe. Just hate the thought of getting any of that cruddy dirt inside engine .

alanp561, winduptoy, adam401 and 2 others like this.
  19. belair

belair

Get Vern Tardel’s book(s) on flatheads. Money well spent - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, knowledge is power, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suggest building a test stand somewhat like Marty Strode showed in post 63. You don't have to use an old frame unless you just happen to have the front part of one, you can use heavy angle iron or channel iron or square or rectangular tubing or even round tubing. What ever you come up with that doesn't cost a bunch to build it with.

That lets you get the engine running and dialed in before you find the vehicle you want to put it in if that part of the hunt is a bit slow.

trevorsworth likes this.
  21. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent the evening carefully cleaning the oil cleanout and the bottom of the pan so I could use gasket maker to seal it up.

Not sure I did it right but we'll see what happens.

Yep, RMONTY and I are going to be building a stand on Sunday!

Looks like the gasket maker stuff is working. If I have to do it again though I'm going to just buy that stuff you cut yourself. Will be a pain in the ass for this big circle but I think it will be cleaner and better overall.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  22. UGOTBIT

UGOTBIT
    from Upstate NY

How did everything go today?

trevorsworth likes this.
  23. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went great! We finished up a few minutes before you posted and I was coming straight here to post about it. The test stand is built.

[​IMG][​IMG]

@RMONTY did the bulk of the work. It came out great. I have to finish bolting it down. Later I'll add an extension for a radiator.

The carburetor from @winduptoy didn't make it Saturday so hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Today we pulled the starter and threw a battery on it. It's good and the Bendix works, but without the motor bolted down we couldn't actually spin it over. Compression test and first start attempt soon... Don't worry, there will be video in case of shenanigans.

24. I knew RMonty was a stand up guy. This just proves it. Well done guys.

waxhead, brEad, adam401 and 2 others like this.
  25. I seem to remember something to do with the Fuel Pump pushrod having something to do with Oil Galley and Oil Pressure. With a block off plate and electric pump permanently mounted you probably won't have an issue, but if you have low or no Oil Pressure I'd lift the block off plate and see what was done to the Hole. Some guys would just cut off the pushrod and stick it back in. This led to a funny Tap, tap, tap. No problem is you know what it was. Some would install a soft plug and I've seen it tapped and plugged. At any rate not an issue if you have good Oil Pressure.

winduptoy likes this.
  26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have only just learned what that hole at the rear of the intake manifold is for. Right now it is covered by what looks like a piece of cardboard held on by two nuts... I wouldn't really call it a plate. I'll pull it off tomorrow afternoon and see what's in there.

I guess I also need to test the fuel pump. I assume it will burn up on 12v.

winduptoy likes this.
  27. Your right on the 12-V . Look the housing of the pump over real good. As I remember it there was a small flat spot cast on it and had 6-v or 12-v stamped right on it.

trevorsworth likes this.
  28. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

If you elevate your gas tank 2 or 3 feet you can just run the fuel line into the carb and just gravity feed it. I am so cheap, I didn't want to spend the money getting a new fuel pump diaphragm until I need it.

29. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@RMONTY Got her bolted down! Had to bust out the old harbor freight concrete drill to get my bit through that square tube, my cordless wasn't cutting it. She's rock solid now though. And while I was doing that, a package arrived...

@winduptoy [​IMG]

It's here! Dropped right on. Just sitting on there for now until I make up gaskets and fit the lines. The stock carburetor had what I guess was probably a vacuum line coming off it going down to the distributor? I guess for the vacuum advance. There's nowhere to hook that up on the Stromberg.

[​IMG]

The fuel pump is indeed 6 volts - glad you told me it'd be marked somewhere @Pist-n-Broke.

And speaking of fuel pumps, let's see what was under the disintegrating cardboard cover...

[​IMG]

Oh.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clean enough in there to eat off. I guess I need to buy or make up a solid cover plate though.

Unfortunately there was no good way to clean that surface before removing the cardboard cover, so a bit of crusty old oil fell in despite my best efforts to brush away from the opening.

That's all for tonight, got some homework to take care of so I'll have to reinstall the starter tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    brEad likes this.
  30. RMONTY

RMONTY

Making a plate for that wont be a big deal. Glad you got it bolted down!

kidcampbell71 and trevorsworth like this.