Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Judson flathead supercharger - chances?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedbug78, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

I've been up close and personal with Judsons on VWs, but I'd really like one for my flathead build. What are my chances for finding one? What is a fair price? I'm a noob to flathead stuff. I'm not too worried about hp. Is there a better "old looking" option?

2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I don't know if it is any "better" but it is different and strictly nostalgia and that is a McCullogh centrifugal. They turn up occasionally on eBay. Properly set up they will put you in the 140 hp area.

Speedbug78 likes this.
  3. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I installed one about 60 years ago. It was a new kit and went on with no problems. It definitely was able to be felt in the seat of the pants performance. I never had one apart.
    If I did one these days, I would put a new 250 Stromberg on top.

5. Okay, what are you going for? That would help.;)

6. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

"Okay, what are you going for?"
    Well hmm. I like style, I like old stuff, I like many uncommon things but uncommon can cross the line to weird pretty quickly.

Judsons aren't real common and I've had some interaction with so they are a bit special to me.
    McCulloch's have a pretty good history back into the 30's and have the style of that period.

Detroits and Scots look similar overall and detroits have been used very extensively for a long long time. Street cars, dragsters anything with a blower has used something that looks like this until paxtons became popular.

Not that blowers are common among cars in general.

Sorry its tough to explain.

7. SCoT is the correct acronym. It stands for Supercharger Company of Torino (Turin).

So this is one of those "I'll like it when I see it" briefs?
    A tight brief gets better results, a wishy-washy one and you'll have suggestions of every supercharger ever made.

Please describe your vision for the whole car.

continentaljohn likes this.
  8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

10. v8flat44

v8flat44

You might want to post this on the Ford Barn too. Love the idea.

Speedbug78 likes this.
  11. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

Thank you guys so much for the info! I had totally forgotten about some of these options and I'll be keeping my eyes open when swap meets start happening again. The magazine article posting and prices are amazing info I hadn't been able to find elsewhere.

12. noboD

noboD

Did they make a Judson specifically for a flathead? I installed one on a kid's Beetle in HS, was not real impressed.

13. [​IMG]

Here's a pair of ads I found- couldn't find anything specific for flathead, advertisement-wise...

14. noboD

noboD

Thanks Bill. I know where a NOS one in the box is, been trying to buy it for about 20 years. They do look cool.

5window likes this.
  15. Note that all of the Judson blowers in the ads above are all for smaller engines. The largest listed is the Corvair which was still only 2.4 L. I think any the Judsons would be too small for any flathead except a V8-60.

16. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

17. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

18. 5window

5window

19. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

20. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

That's a good thought 5window. Any ideas on cleaning it up? I had considered running a remote electric water pump, maybe low-mounting an alternator. What's your opinion on the VS57?

21. Speedbug78

Speedbug78

I'd never seen these before Latham Supercharger:
    [​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

First they claim 40'% more HP and then this second ad the claim is 50% more HP. Do you have another ad that claims 60% more? LOL. I didn't know automotive induction theory research was as easy as just making up new numbers...

23. v8flat44

v8flat44

I'll bet most "claims" are just words blow'n in the wind......

24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another engine shot of Ardun powered Merc I posted above.

Jet96 and kadillackid like this.
  25. L76

L76

I just finished a flathead build. Engine runs strong normally aspirated. I came across a few Judson superchargers and thought I’d give ‘em a try. I can’t get the engine running with the Judson hooked up. LOL. Anyone have experience with these? I’m stymied! Posted pix of my motor in another thread.

-L76

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. L76

L76

FYI... got it running. Strong too! Found a vacuum leak in the intake (fixed) and moved to resistor-less wires/old style plugs... all is good! I have a second Judson that I also fired up on the test engine. Both working!

Cheers,
    L76

mgtstumpy likes this.