Register now to get rid of these ads!

John's Picnic Today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binga, Nov 5, 2006.

1. For those Aussies that missed the Picnic here is some pics.
    Awesome cars and awesome weather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Some blokes coupe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

The change of hubcaps looks good frank, but are you going to keep these ones on?? Arent they the NOS ones you showed us??

4. Billy Mussett's gorgeous 32 coupe:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Whodaky's Coupe
    [​IMG]

5. Last ones for now

Lowsquires pickup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last but not least Greg Fords FX/FJ based gasser
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jimbob

jimbob

Nnice pics, thanks. Pissed I couldn't make it this year, last year was a blast. Will get there next year again.

Looks like Frank had his Charger out as well as the duece??

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THANK YOU!!
    It sucks that I couldnt get there......

8. Yep had both the MoPar out and the Deuce today. My brother and his kids in the Charger - they loved it haha!!

Top day and great weather/company...hard to keep tabs on all the dudes but managed to catch up with quite a few. Losquire pulled a shifty maneouvre and power parked haha...nice one bro !!

Here are some of my pix !!

Rat

Attached Files:

9. jimbob

jimbob

Haha, nice one mate, that Charga is killer.

New caps look good on the duece bro.:cool:

YOu coming up with Flatoz in January?

10. Heres a few more....

Rat

Attached Files:

11. Yep the plan is to hit KRAKK in Jan....hit the road with Flatoz and meet up at yours.

You hitting Bright next week ?

Rat

12. jimbob

jimbob

Nup, pretty bummed about not gettin to johns or birght, specially with the new truck, but I gotta get these home reno's done so Suzie and I can really enjoy next year.

13. Yeah they're the ones. Hollywood hubcap co circa 1957 I believe. Think Im gonna leave em on for a while - really like the look of 'em.....rare and different to boot !!

Rat

14. great pix guys. thanks for throw'n them up :)

15. jimbob

jimbob

If you're coming up for KRAKK I'd better email you an entry form when I get back to work on Wednesday.

16. Okey dokey....

Rat

17. Rat I just love your coupe you should be really proud of it.
    The new caps are awesome

Binga

18. striper

striper

What colour is that kettle..."Mr Pot"?

Wanted to say g'day today Frank. Your car was everywhere but I don't know what you look like.

My 2 bobs worth on today. Congrats to the organisers on the parking arrangements. (Still a bit hard to enforce). And the use of the centre of the track was really good. I reckon if the whole event was based on the centre court area with bands and other features and the track centre for all the cars, it would feel much more integrated.

Nothing bad to say this year Carps. It was good to talk to you today.
    (Oh...too many Toranas)

Pete

19. Bttt for the morning crew

20. 55olds88

55olds88

Looks like a good weekend for it, some killer cars too, that white EK ute looks sweet, They must be a pretty easy chop they always seem to be gettting whacked.

21. Thanks for the pics Binga. Was there all weekend obviously, but saw pretty much nothin'.....so Jimbob, you've seen as much as me.

Thanks to Gruntis for lending me "my" bike for the Sunday!

I gotta be the odd one out though Frank....the caps SUCK on your car. Chrome against white....and then pale blue...??? Nup. Car needs to be a dark colour for that to work well. Put 'em back in the box. Sorry mate, I'm not into arse-kissin'!

Got to see Brett's car late last night too.....sweeeeet!

22. And not to place too fine a point on it, didn't Frank get the trophy for power parking, or was it for something else?

Biggest difficulty was getting the first few cars into the central area, once they were there, the others followed quickly. Talking to people out there they were happy as it's a much more pleasnt spot than they imagined. Biggest bummer was that he expensive PA we hired and had pointed that way, decided to take a vacation very early in the day, thus it was a bit hard for folks out there to know what was happening elsewhere.

I think it worked pretty well. What we tried to do was ensure the cars
    power parked' in the central area, were not too many, but at the same time represented a good cross section of the cars attending, albeit ones that i really liked. :)

We had a couple of minor issue in addition to the dud PA but they were all sorted pretty quickly. I only saw a couple of early Narrow body Toranas, both with V8 engine swaps, so I think they are acceptable even to the die hards. On the other hand, I'm thinking we gotta do something to curb the influx of 49/50 Mercs, I counted seven of them, more than I think I've ever seen in one place at one time provided you don't count the dozens that the Late Paul Spillman had in his shed each time I visited him in the US.

Usually picking the trophy winners is easy as there's always one or to standut cars in each category. This year was a pain in the butt as we planned to have it all done and dusted before lunch time. It took close on two hours to walk the property scanning the cars to make sure we saw everything in order to be fair and select the right cars for awards. Good thing is that not one person complained even about the Porsche being given a hot rod award. Although a few wondered about the blue deuce being powerparked and taking a trophy home.

Picking the King of Kustoms was a nightmare with so many great cars to choose from that even the 'short list' had a dozen cars on it. I guess the interesting thing is that there was only one unchopped 'mild' kustom on that list and it was such a standout car that it just had to take the gold.

Being a tad busier than usual I never got a chance to shoot any photos, although my camera did spend time with a few others and contains what can only be described as some interesting images.

Another new feature that ran particularly well and we hope will grow next year, was the saturday night cruise in the main shopping area of Packenham. I only had to speak to one guy who was getting a little too excited and even that was no problem. The cops even came down to join in and cruise with the rods and kustoms, which is kinda rare for us. They were relly pleased that we were well controlled and kept a lid on overexuberance, despite the clear display of some serious horsepresssure in some cars. The local traders were also appreciative of our presence and many wanted to know if we'd be returning on a regular basis.

Another element I'm particularly proud of is that the grounds showed no signs of damage from the event and there was buggerall litter, meaning cleanup was minimal. The worst being in the central area where despite the extra bins, they were all still filled to capacity.

The crew all went home totally knackered but smiling even tho we saw less of the event than we ever have in years past.

Was also good to catch up with you. however striping the model car trophies alone was not the same as the traditional late night session with Whodaky.

23. Hey Peddro, you forgot to mention your little wager. For all those involved, Peddro lost, coz I didn't drive anything to the Picnic, I was a passenger!

However on Friday night I did drive my '33 to the BBQ at Chopper's and on Saturday Dave did get his promised test drive in the new Toyota Aurion Sportivo. :D

24. I'll bite and no I don't need to suck up to Frank or anybody else. I just reckon the caps work a treat. Perhaps if the wheels were painted black to create a break between the caps and whitewalls they may work better but they look great just the way they are.

What really sucks on Frank's car, is that chrome ALTERNATOR! and the steering universals, they just don't fit! But then Frank can argue that they make the car reliable and driveable, so I guess that means they do fit, just like the way too modern five speed trans, coz a car that's not driveable, sux a lot more than shiney caps against pale blue and white. ;)

What? So it looks just like all the million other dark coloured '32 coupes?

25. Better check my post a little more carefully Carps....didn't say nothin' about you drivin'....or when....nobody one, nobody lost. You covered both bases.

Nice outfit Friday night....you were a little late for Halloween though and minus the popular exploding vest accessory.

Never bothered me. Doesn't stick out too much to me. Maybe I'm not THAT anal.

They made a million? And all dark? You wouldn't be EXAGGERATING a little would ya Carps?

But hell, a million good-looking dark-coloured '32 coupes would still be good to look at!

26. FWIW, I kinda agree with Carps anyway, that chrome alt DOES look outta place on the car as do the steering unis.

The alt is there coz I DRIVE this car all the time. I've only had it on the road for 9 months and in that time I have done over 4500 miles and remember, weve just been thru winter which would normally be down time.

In all those miles the car has NEVER let me down let down electrically. And Im planning on doing a shitload more miles this Summer too so, I'm kinda reluctant to change it even though I want to alter the look of it so it looks more trad. The steering unis are there even though they look "modern" coz I didint want to use old Torana unis that has seen their day....guess a bit of safety don't hurt after all.

Peddro I hear ya on the rim colour and kinda agree. This coming winter the front end is coming out for detailing haha and the rims will get painted as there is too much baby blue on the car to my eye, needs to be broken up a tad.

Carps thanks to Chopper, you and the crew for a great weekend - the other blokes who brought their rides with me had a ball too, so here's to next year !!

Rat

27. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Great Cars You Guys Just Drive Em On The Wrong Side...lol........hope You Had A Great Time Rooster...