Register now to get rid of these ads!

History JFK,45years ago Nov22d,'63 what car and where were you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Nov 21, 2008.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

I wasnt even an impure thought for about 9 more years ,but my mom and dad told me all about it and what they were doing when they heard the news .Its amazing to me how so many people can remember what they were doing in 1963 like it was yesterday. It must have been a terrible time indeed to stick in everyones mind for that long ...

2. yeah it was....hope you NEVER have to go thru it! :(

3. henryj429

henryj429

I was probably wrapped up in about 5 scarves while sliding down the snowdrift in the front yard in my vintage wood toboggan.

I was old enough to read the newspaper when RFK was shot a few years later and remember it clearly. At that point my parents explained to me what had happened to JFK.

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Greatest? I'm really curious how you came to that conclusion. Modern Liberal News Media Propaganda, is my guess. Ask your Political Science teacher to expand on that.

JFK CAUSED the Cuban Crisis by by his loose-cannon tactics, when he ordered the placement of nuke warheads in Turkey. The USSR responded in kind. In the end it was a stalemate.
    AFTER the US withdrew their missles from Turkey, USSR withdrew theirs from Cuba. At the same time he was conducting an illegal war in Southeast Asia that would evolve into the Vietnam Boondoggle that killed hundreds of thousands of US Military personnel. To what end?

5. well 29 your right to a degree......the part everybody liked was a young and fresh face in the whitehouse promising the best of everything (camalot) young family in the white house with little kids people could relate too.........sound kinda recent and familiar???

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Well sure....... Utopia. But that ain't the Pres' job, that's for fiction. Off Topic I know, but the entire family, made Nixon look like a piker.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  7. jimb0

jimb0
    BANNED

i wasnt even a glimmer in my mother eyes.

8. teddyp

teddyp

i was in my last year of high school i went to a voc tech took up body work had a 57 chev conv. i frist did black then blue and a 55 chev we were in shop when we heard the news a sad day my brother in law was in the army at the time and was in dc his unit were with robert k when the pick out the grave site

Attached Files:

9. jroberts

jroberts

I can hardly believe its been 45 years. It just doesn't seem that long ago. On the other hand a lot has happened in those 45 years.

I was a sophomore in high school. We lived in Kailua, Hawaii at the time. All the faculty and students were asked to assemble around the flag pole. We couldn't figure t his out. Then we were told that the President had been killed. Like most of you have said, we were in a state of shock. One girl in the crowd began fooling around and laughing. I remember that another girl turned around and punched her out!

I can remember sitting in front of the TV for hours watching the news. Most TV programs came on a week late, but all of this news was live, I was very impressed.

Dad had just purchased a new Datsun four door sedan. Red and tan, fog lights and an AM radio.

10. autobilly

autobilly

Too Kool!

11. sun down

sun down
    from tx

remember it well, I was 22, just out of the Navy by 4 months( 59-63) and here
    in Mesquite, 12 miles East of down town Dallas...

I had a mint 55 chevy convert that I later traded for my first
    new car..........a 63 corviar.............not a good move at all

12. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Ummm was not even thought about yet......I was born in 85. My mom was 2 though but doesn't remember it.

13. 61bone

61bone

At that exact point, I was having a prime rib at Als Oasis in Chamberlin SD, I was driving my Grandmothers 62 Cad Coupe Deville back to Pierre from Sioux Falls. My car was a 55 Chev 2dr hardtop with a 340 Hp 327. A waitress came in and said the president had been shot. The place went dead quiet and stayed that way till someone turned on the radio so we could hear the news broadcast. It was a long trip from there to home.

14. i was 4 and we were living in new orleans all the cars in my shop were Tonka's!!:D
    RIP JFK..

15. That wasn't Mrs. Bertrands' class was it ?????

16. fanspete

fanspete

I was in my womb!

17. I was in 8th grade, San Rafael Military Academy. In English, my teacher was a crusty old guy, Mr. Terry, he used to wack us on the back of the head with a ruler if you weren't paying attention(you could do that back then). He came in crying and made the announcement. Seeing him crying is something I will never forget.

Mom had a Chevy II and my stepfather had an MG TD.

18. oldsman71

oldsman71

wow! this tread is long, lots of history, but I was born in 1971.

19. I was on the "grassy knoll"

20. CalGasser

CalGasser

I was going to Jr. College in Hawaii and heard the news. Everyone was stunned, then came the word JFK was pronounced dead. I was driving a '55 2 dr. hardtop Bel Air and trying to make a hot rod out of it. I would eventually win D/MP and E/G with it. It was a sad day for all!

21. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

In Architecture school at the Univ. of Az. Driving my 51 MG TD. They cnx. classes. Just the beginning wasn't it?

22. synchro7

synchro7

I was a junior sitting in electronics class when the announcement came over the PA sys. My ride was a 54 Mercury 2 dr ht.
    synchro7

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  23. jb2wheeler

jb2wheeler

[SIZE=+1]At that time I thought the world of JFK. I worked in a spray booth in a Kroehler furniture factory with a partner and when I heard the news I was in a daze and walked in front of the spray gun while my partner was spraying. I got a little on the side of my head. about an hour later my boss, who was a hard man to work with, got in an argument with a Demacrat, he was a Republican. about the JFK thing a short distance from me and the guy shot him about 4 times. He pulled thru, but JFK did not. I had a 54 Ford with a bored and stroked 352 bringing it out to 428 and it had a roller cam and all the goodies. JB2wheeler[/SIZE]

24. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

I have to answer this thread cause I was in an Army unit called "The Old Gaurd" in Washington D.C.from 1962 to 64.We did stuff like parades down Pennsulvania Ave.for President Kennedy,Linden Johnson,John Glen,and anyone that came to see the pres.we had to be there.We did lots of parades at the Washington Monument,and lots of funerals at Arlington Cemetary.We had just did a cordon duty around the presidents plane at a place called M.A.T.S terminal at the D.C. airport.In November Alpha Co. went to a place called Camp A.P.Hill Va.where we played war games for a week then we'd go back to D.C. On nov.22,63 we were loading up on the buses to go back to D.C. and one guy had a transistor radio and was holding it out the window to get better reception and hey you guys the president was shot in Dallas.We couldn't believe it cause we just saw him and it couldn't be.Then they said he died and everyone was numb,knowing we were going to do his funeral.When the busses came over the hill and started into D.C.I'll never forget seeing all the flags going to half mast all over town,it was chilling.I am one of the guys that you see on the history channel on the Kennedy Funeral.After the funeral we had to stand gaurd duty on the gravesite(3 lines 6 people abreast as far as you could see)I opened the limo door for Jackie Kennedy and Peter Lawford,Shaw of Iran,Iraq and all kinds of people that came to the gravesite to pay their respects.I sure had my picture takin a lot in those days.Man the stories I could tell you about the gravesite (white picket fence,eternal flame that was being fed by a tank on wheels on the road).I still have my 1962 Old Gaurd yearbook,The guys get together every year in D.C.for a reunion.They let all the old guys get in formation at Ft.Meyers parade field,man do we look like a bunch of old men with big guts,bald etc.We just tell them young guys that are there now that we once looked bad ass like you guys do,anyway I couldn't pass this thread up cause I was there and ....

25. Awesome story sir! To be one of the "Old Guard" must certainly have been an honor. I visited Arlington in '73, hope to go back soon, and to see the WWII and VietNam Vets memorials.

26. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

I was in 2nd grade and remember the teachers all crying when they sent us home. My mom was balling. No school for three days. We watched the news and my mom sobbed all day.

That image of JFK in those various Lincoln Continental convertibles led me to getting a 61 and restoring it as kind of a tribute. Here are some pics.

BTW, the JFK license plate is real.

Attached Files:

27. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

Does anyone know what happened to the jfk limo, is it in like a museum or something. Does anyone know where it is!

28. I as still tracing across the universe, not yet even a gleam in my old mans eye, but I was already making plans for when I got my license and dreaming about old cars.

29. vancec

vancec
    from yucaipa

It's in the Henry Ford museum in Dearborn Michigan. It was rebodied and armored after the assassination and used by Johnson, Nixon, Ford and Carter. It was retired in 1977.

It does not look like a 61 Convertible limo now.

30. Posted earlier. Ron
    [​IMG] [​IMG]