Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerry's 32 3 Window / Hemi Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 13, 2011.

1. n847

n847

This is getting good!

2. finkfinder

finkfinder

You lucky, lucky guy! One helluva nice project! Subscribed for sure. It is in such great shape. Killer car with choice parts, what more could you ask for?

3. Congradts on the great find. Look's to be a very good body. Much better than the one I am trying to buy. Been working on this old guy to sell it to me for over a year now. But I feel I am getting closer to buying it. Old guy has had it for over 25 years and never touched it. Car was a old hot rod back in it's days. Like your channeled but chopped (HARD).
    Keep us all posted with up dates.

4. 53woody

53woody

Jerry Very cool I'll be watching this build, I'm digging the interior with the chrome garnish moldings. I can see the third year in a row at the Jalopyrama with another new car ! Bruce :cool:

5. I have been trying to tell what the old tube front axel is and I am stumped so far anyone know?

6. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

It's a stock Ford 1937 tube axle that came on their V8-60 cars. This one was chromed plated in the late 50's. Im going to swap it out for a dropped 32 axle.

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I yanked the rear out tonight..it's a 55 Chevy rear and some home made trailing arms made from two pieces of angle welded together. Spring hangers off of old wishbones welded to the back of the rear housing. The rear U bolts were "extended" with threaded rod welded on. man oh man.. Check out the high tech spacer. I don't know how this thing held together. One plus is that's original 32 rear spring in there and in good shape. I'll take it apart, clean it up, and will re-use it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rockers are welded to the side of the frame...cut one side loose tonight..she's almost free from the frame. Check out all the home made brackets for the running boards..etc.. I really get a kick out of seeing old "work" done on these cars. But I guess back then..they did what they did to just make things work. I'm going to have alot of time into cleaning the frame up and cutting off all the crap.

[​IMG]

here's how she sits now..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  8. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Some of the old goodies I've been hoarding up for this build.

old chrome junk

[​IMG]

Packard wheel covers.

[​IMG]

57 olds rear

[​IMG]

Bomber inside door locks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  9. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Nice work!!

Lovin it!

10. n847

n847

Those door locks are sick!

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

It was from Lewistown, Pa and built in the early 60's...ran around that neck of the woods for 20 years..then found it's way to Berks County..was on the road for awile then put way for 20+ years in a barn

12. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I can't decide what I'm going to do...I might unchannel it..
    I love the look of the side of a 32 frame..
    Either way it has to be cut loose from the frame.
    The only real way to do the frame nice is with the body off

13. redzula

redzula

subscribed that is one cool 3w

14. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Traded my chrome V8 60 axle for this old original Ed"Dago" Stewart dropped 32 heavy axle. I've never seen one of these in person before and it's really something...so much history in this thing. Should look killer up front on the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  15. sawzall

sawzall

I wondered what you were trading around yesterday!
    car looks great, hope to see it in person soon.

j

16. WOW!! I really like the trade for the dago axel. That will look outstanding on this ride.
    Thank's for posting what the tube axel was for me. It would have been a great wall hanger. But I like the trade better.

17. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

The body is just about ready to be taken off...need to borrow a friends body cart to put it on. I've also been cutting off some of those extra brackets that were put on the frame over the years and cleaning up the front of the frame.

Took a bunch of stuff to get blasted..should be done early next week.

Scored a cool 33 Plymouth insert that I'm thinking about using. Been doing lots of parts swapping with friends lately for this build.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  18. hasty

hasty

Looking good - looking forward to updates...

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

20. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Body and frame are separated finally. Thanks to 1oldrat,Rodger, and Gregg for coming over to help me lift it off. Going to finish cutting off the old brackets and clean the frame up this week. Much easier now that the body is off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

yeah..I've subscribed to yours too!

22. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Took a break from the frame for a night and started planning my rear suspenson set up. I'm using a really nice set of 36 rear bones and will be hanging the spring behind axle like stock using the spring hangers on the back of the bones. I'm gong to run another bar on top that is 1 inch OD, tapped out on the end with a clevis that will go onto a tab welded on the top of the rear end housing...doing this on each side. I'll then put in a gusset plate that I'll drill out beween the bone on the bottom and the rod on the top. The Rolling Bones do something similar with their rear suspension set ups.

Instead of using a heim at the front like they do I'm going to weld on a sleeve where the bone and rod comes to a point. I have poly bushings and a sleeve that is tapped out for a grease fitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bushing'd front ends will then go into a crossmember behind the tranny that I'll make

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  23. chaddilac

chaddilac

So this is what you're building? Where have I been??

24. Nice!...looking forward to future installments!

25. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

keep it up man, looks good!

26. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Thanks Andy..about time you started another build thread yourself I think..:D

27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Did a little work on the dash. The center was hacked up over the years and was like this this when I got it so I don't feel too bad about cutting a piece out. I removed the center reveal and butt welded a flat piece of metal in it's place. Traced the outline of the dash insert trim onto the new piece of steel and cut it out. I fitted the insert, welded some mounting bolts onto the back of the dash and put her in.

Found a bunch of other holes that were bondo'd shut when I stripped the paint which I welded up. Good clean metal now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

That really looks good,Jerry!!!

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Excellent Jerry.

30. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq