Register now to get rid of these ads!

History JERRY TITUS TALKS ABOUT HOW THE KKOA BEGAN...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jonnie King, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

upload_2017-7-26_0-8-29.jpeg
    IT ALL STARTED IN OCTOBER, 1980...and it's become a Monster Event !

A few year's ago, Jerry Titus, the Founder & President of the Kustom Kemps Of America, took some time out of his always busy schedule at one of the early Leadsleds when I was doing Interviews, and sat down with me to tell me how it all started.

If you're going to Salina this weekend and have been there before, OR, if you're a "First Timer", you'll enjoy your visit a little better after hearing Jerry's story...and you'll know a little more of why the crowd's get so big ! It's become like "one big family !

This a short, but cool Interview...and, yes, I'm on the way there tomorrow, but first I gotta finish packing ! So, I'll see you in Salina (IF I finish packing in time) ! Here's the Link to hear Jerry: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage41.html

ENJOY !

Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Sancho and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Special Note To All...

Sorry. I won't be in Salina this year. Heading down Hwy 70 going West yesterday morning on my way to this year's 37th Annual KKOA Leadsled, was about 40 Miles from KC, got off at the "Oak Grove" Exit going up that hill to get gas. That's when it happened: Brakes went out on me altogether...pedal to the floor...no stopping for anything. Hit vehicle in front of me very hard from behind on the 45degree-angle hill (that is how that Exit is built).

No power; no brakes. The force of hitting that vehicle, pushed me backwards...like being hit by a "flipper" in a Pin Ball Game. Spun out-of-control backwards going down the hill/ Exit Ramp. Like being in a movie or the "Twilight Zone". But this was REAL. And, at the time this happens to you, you become a "spectator'...looking through your windshield as if it were a TV screen, and you were watching someone else's life unfold before you...but it's yours, and you are powerless to control it or stop it, even though you're trying very hard.

Was spinning toward the Left embankment which would have aimed me straight-down onto Hwy 70 and into the oncoming 70-80 mph traffic itself. Didn't want to die that way. Spun the wheel in the opposite direction trying to aim for the embankment on the Right which leads down a gully/ hill into the grass/trees area. Was able to do that, but in the process, the right rear of my Olds catapulted over the embankment and crashed hard into the MO. State installed "Exit Here" sign...rammed hard into the base of it, throwing everything in the passenger compartment of my car all over the seats floor, etc. Hit so hard that the glove box door, dash installed ash tray, both flew open and their contents were spilled all over the seats & floor. So I ended-up having TWO accidents in a matter of seconds.

Two MO. State Patrol cars showed up...very nice, courteous gentlemen. Called for tow trucks to get me out of the gully/embankment. First truck had to winch me out; second truck was called to get my car & myself towed back home to St. Louis...all of which took hours to accomplish. And, I alternated between being dizzy, numb, hurting a lot, cold, hot, shaking...the MO SP officers were sure I was in shock and had me sit down until the tow units arrived. They both were a real credit to their uniforms...and I told them so before they left. They stayed with me through the whole ordeal to make sure I was not in danger from cars coming up the Exit ramp.

One piece of important Info to share with all of you before I go back to bed after writing this: ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS ! I ALWAYS have; ALWAYS will. Mine saved my life twice yesterday. Both the impact of my crashing into the vehicle in front of me, then spinning out of control backwards and ramming hard into the base of the Exit sign, pulled me hard against the belt both times (I have the bruise's on my chest as a reminder). My back, my neck, my left shoulder are in a lot of pain right now, but I'm still alive to talk about it. Make sure your family & friends are buckled-up too.

God bless you all, I wish I was there to enjoy this weekend with you, and I sincerely hope your journey to the KKOA this year, as well as anywhere else you travel to, is safe going & coming.

Your friend,
    Jonnie

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    pat59 likes this.
  3. 'Mo

'Mo

So sorry to hear this, Jonnie.
    Here's wishing you (and the occupants of the other car) a speedy recovery!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Very sorry to hear this Get healed up soon.

5. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Holy Crap! I'm glad you are in One piece. We will be thinking of you.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

7. hoping you feel better soon.

8. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I'm glad you are OK. Hopefully the ca is repairable. Please fill us in on the type of brakes you have on that car.

9. Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery, Jonnie.

Bowtie Coupe and lothianwilly71 like this.
  10. Jonnie, I'm so sorry to hear about this gut wrenching incident, but I'm also glad to hear that you're still around to tell us about it! I'm hopeful you'll mend quickly. Nonetheless, please do yourself a favor and go to your doctor now and have him look you over from head to toe. Tell him you've just been in an accident so that they don't give you an appointment a month from now. I was in a similar type accident in 1976 and I walked away with bumps and bruises. I didn't feel like I needed to see a doctor at the time, just some rest, and went back to work a couple days later. Now, after all these years, I'm having big problems with my neck and I know it's all related to that accident. I'm totally in agreement with you on the seat belts, too. They saved my bacon on that day in 1976.

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Thanks, 'Mo...
    I'm a little better, still shakey. The people in the other vehicle were fine, just a little shaken up. I was worried about them. I kept thinking about that as I hit them first...never want to harm anyone. They were worried about me...lady in the car said she could see me in her right outside mirror spinning around and around till the second crash...was hoping I didn't have anything broken.

Best to you 'Mo,
    Jonnie

12. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

34toddster, Hotdoggin DaddyO, Pat59,
    Thanks for the kind thoughts to you all. It's this type of friendship we all share that sure helps at a time like this.

Much good health & safe journey's for you !
    Jonnie

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

BigDogSS...

Thanks to you too for your taking time to Post this. My car is a '97 Olds LSS. I purchased it new in November of 1997...it's a 100 Anniversary Olds, and as anyone here who knows me, knows I truly love this car.

The brakes are original GM Discs on Front/Shoes on Rear. This had to be the Master Cylinder, or, a front line (possibly on the driver's side) that caused the problem. But, I was so shaken-up & dazed by what happened, plus the hood was crunched-shut by the first accident and couldn't be opened, that I was just numb and not able to explore anything. It's at my mechanic's now and he'll tell me what he finds out

Stay safe yourself, BigDog, you're one of the "good guys",
    Jonnie

BigDogSS likes this.
  14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

lothiandon1940,
    It'll be awhile, but your thoughts are very kind...and I thank you so much for thinking of me.

Best to you & yours,
    Jonnie

15. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Mark,
    Thank you, my friend. As all this transpired, I was thinking how glad I was (this time) to NOT be driving the INVICTA!

The way my Olds spun-around and ended-up when the second crash happened, and I rammed backwards down the Right Embankment into the grassy/forest area and crashed into the Exit Here sign, had the car in an almost straight-up position. Like you'd stand it on it's rear bumper.

And, also what happened was the front tires slid off the pavement of the exit ramp, and wedged between the pavement & the embankment...and the rear tires wedged against the base of the Exit Here sign. So, the first tow truck had a guy who knew how to "side winch" the Olds to get it back on the pavement. Took awhile to get that accomplished. By then the guy with the truck to transport the Olds & myself back to St. Louis, came and after a bit of time sorting everything out we finally got on the road late Wed. afternoon.

Stay super-safe in your travels Mark...we'll catch-up again one of these days, amigo.

Jonnie

Moriarity likes this.
  16. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Bowtie Coupe,
    Your words & thoughts are well taken. I did call my doctor yesterday. He's a good, wonderful pro, and I trust him all the way. I've got an appointment with him this aft.,
    and I know he'll uncover anything that could be long term. But you are right, and I give my friends the same advice...so we're both on the "same page".

Thanks again !

Jonnie

Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Very sorry to hear this Get well soon.

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

lothianwilly71,
    Thanks for the good words. Went to the doc's on Friday. Thank God no broken bones, but neck whiplash, back/ligaments strained. Left shoulder where I hit the driver's side door post very bruised & same with left knee cap that hit on the driver's side door, plus bruised chest area where the safety belt held me in. Doc says the healing process will be slow, but should be a pretty full recovery. Again, thanks to God & my safety belt I'm still alive.

Hope to see everybody at next year's Leadsled...I'm not gonna let 'em nail the lid on my coffin shut yet.

God bless,
    Jonnie

Bowtie Coupe and Sancho like this.