Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jere Jobe Stromberg knockoff test results

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Irish Mike, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Precsiely what I was trying to say.

Im with Littleman....I learned about all this carb shit by reading, dismantling , tuning and using them.

Rat

2. wildthunder

wildthunder
    from RI..USA

Thanks for the info on the “speedway 97” I just canceled the one I just ordered last night :eek: and ordered the real deal through Lucky's Speed Shop. ;) For some stupid reason I ordered the dam thing without checking this forum first. (Too much rum! on a Saturday night).:D
    I honestly don’t know what the hell I was thinking, I have spent the last year building a 30 Model A roadster, 40’s juice brakes 37 spindles, and a every other freaking part that needed to be replaced to build my dream hotrod (sorry not a flat head V8) I wanted something real old school and kept the flat 4 banger since it was still running. Of course I ripped the entire engine apart, by the time I was done I could have build 2 SBC!!
    I’m putting the engine back together now so I can finally drive this car before the summer. Zillions of hours and tons of money later. Oh well its only money!
    The dollar keeps losing its value and hotrods are like GOLD. I will post pics soon so I can show you all what you helped be build, If it wasn’t for this site I would be still scratching my head trying to figure out where do I begin!!

3. Hey Wildthunder - lets see some pix man !!

Rat

4. Abomination

Abomination

Here-here! ;)

~Jason

5. eblinga

eblinga
    from NFLD MN

Interesting critique and one I'm taking to heart. Was thinking about buying some of those Speedway carbs. Think I might spend up for the "real" new ones out of England. I know they will need tuning and adjustment to whatever setup I have, though they seem to held in high enough regard on here. Thanks for everyone's insight!!

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I'm confused as to why one would ask if this was a production carb or not... The write up Jere did was rife with criticisms for how this carb looked and was built.

Certainly Bill would send a ringer out to Jere, wouldn't he??? :confused: (and it would be just like Speedy Bill to send a junk ringer)

From what I've read and from what people on the HAMB (who know what they are talking about) have said... I take his report for gospel.

Its just one more niche market where Bill smells a dollar to be had...

7. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jere's sample carb was ordered, idependently off the shelf from Speedway, and received just the same as anyone else who'd ordered one would've gotten. The only fair way to test it.

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Trust no one, the truth is out there.

Attached Files:

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Agreed. I just verified this yesterday - an individual ordered a carb from Speedway & then sent it to Jere for eval.

So the comments about ringers or junk ringers is moot.

I gave Speedway the benefit of the doubt, but most of that doubt has been cleared up. I hope Speedy Bill is made aware of the deficiencies and takes action to correct them. I also know Jere's critique is consistent with the pre-production unit Abbin evaluated quite some time ago, I believe, at Speedy Bill's request.

Sad.

Perhaps this is just an early run and fixes weren't in place yet & Speedway sold them on hope - hope they work, hope they don't come back, hope for the best. Still, a poor way to do business and the damage control will be challenging, at best.

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Okay so Jere doesn't like them.

Who else has tried them? A scientific or informal account will do.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jere's opinion is enough for me. Who gives a rats arse if there is emotion in there. He tells us exactly what we need to know about them!

12. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

A lot of parts like this get purchased and put on a shelf for projects. Then they either don't get used at all for one reason or another, or the project takes so long that the parts are way beyond the date of acceptable return for credit when they are discovered to be defective. Either way, the seller is off the hook. If only half of them get returned for credit, I bet they still make a profit.

13. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Only, if you tried them after this and they sucked... You might want to keep that info to yourself... :D :D :D

Ryan, Uncle Max, Jere Jobe... Who else?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  14. Damn I love this site. I was getting real close to buying 8 of these damn things for my newest project. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You saved me from going to jail. I would have been pissed enough to kill If i had bought 8 of em.

15. carbking

carbking

Since we still have several original Stromberg 97's, have no need to look at the knockoffs, and thus no actual knowledge of the unit in question.

However, I would like to offer a comment concerning the aluminum throttle bodies. With two notable exceptions (Carter 4-barrels with huge clearances - 0.016~0.022 inch, and Holley 4-barrels with teflon bushings) EVERY production carburetor of which I am aware with an aluminum throttle body has wear issues. This would include Carter AS, BBS, BBD, and RBS; Rochester Q-Jets, and Stromberg WW and WWC (except the GMC truck WWC with roller bearings).

Any of these units are an automatic install bushings, and 90 percent will require a new throttle shaft to come into tolerance at the first rebuild. I cannot look favorably on ANY new carburetor being sold to the hobby with an aluminum throttle body UNLESS bushings are standard from new.

And of course, heat transfer with the aluminum really can add to issues of percolation, especially with modern high volatility fuel.

My opinion, others may differ.

Jon.

16. Abomination

Abomination

LMAO!

This made my day... :D

~Jason

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Don't apologise for sticking with the Banger, Some of use think your crazy not to run one.

Just check out the sane and rational discussions we have over at the monthly Banger meets.
    This months thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339160

18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Now that is f'n hilarious. I spit my gum out when I saw this. Now I have to get a scraper out to clean my screen.

19. wildthunder

wildthunder
    from RI..USA

I want to put some pics but right now the car is in my brothers garage with the motor sitting on the floor next to it, I want to at least get the motor back in an roll the car out then take some pics, It dawned on me yesterday after all the things I have done to this car I never took pics... It's not like I don’t have digital cams and digital video cams... I think I was just so involved with what I was doing I never gave it much thought. Stupid!

I will post some pics soon, I was going to make a list of every thing I have done to the hotrod so far but it's easier to say what I have not done!
    I can't wait to start the engine for the first time! After it's back in.
    By the way is there any thing I should do to get oil up into the ending before I start it up. I was thinking I should hand crank the engine for a little while with no plugs in it to just get things moving. Sorry this flathead 4 is a whole new world for me. I have to say I love the simplicity of it. To bad it wasn’t cheaper to rebuild.<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt; height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:rolleyes:<!--[endif]-->.... Can't cry about it now, it's done!...now just hope it runs, By the way it has a FS Ignition, Header, 5.5 head,re ground touring cam ( I know I know should have gone new cam ) 40 over pistons , Valve job , lighten flywheel with v8 pressure plate, New Stromberg 97 ( on it's way) it's also been Re-babbited. and some more things done to the engine that I can't think of right now, The thing that amazes me is how it ran at all before I took it apart, It looked like someone took oil and mud and stuffed it into every hole inside the engine, oil pump was clogged babbiting was broken up, piston cylinders were way out of wack, the old carb set up had zero adjustments (I could turn every adjust screw on it and it never changed a thing.) Maybe that’s why it backfired and smoked like hell
    ) BUT soon it will be the coolest ride on the block!

20. cobalt327

cobalt327
    from Atlanta

Thank you!

My box gives me an error msg. about Visual Basic environment needs reinstalled or some such BS, then locks up the window when I try to read a doc like that.​

21. RichG

RichG

I'll take the word of a hands-on "expert" everytime over that of an engineer...

The "expert" may be wrong on occasion, but the engineers I've dealt with can't even come close to that mark!:D

The "expert" has experience with the actual use and operation of an item. The engineer has detail drawings and lots of calculations about it, with little or no experience in making things work. Just my experience...

22. well thats a no

23. Abomination

Abomination

After seeing the kinds of shit that goes on behind closed doors at the Harley plant here in town, I second that!

~Jason

24. RichG

RichG

I've got engineer stories that'll make you laugh until your cry, I guarantee it.

...like the fellow that designed the mixer that was bigger than the building we were supposed to put it in...

...or the hero that built a specialty forklift bigger than the door to the plant...

...or the time they decided to make our job easier by creating an automated machine. The only problem was that it took 10 times as long to get the job done out in 200 degree heat. We dropped three guys from heat exhaustion the first time we tried to use it...

25. Abomination

Abomination

Or the guy at the HD plant who refuses to actually RIDE, PERIOD! LOL!

~Jason

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Saw one of the 9 super 7's this weekend in Charlotte, got to look inside, wasn't really impressed when I looked at a nicely redone original for the same price.

27. Abomination

Abomination

Rate it, 1 - 10... if the real 97 was at a 10 in terms of quality (just for the sake of argument), where would the Speedway one lie?

Like an 8 or something?

~Jason

28. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Ya think?

Here's what I'm down with...
    Aerojets, Teapots, and 1904's..and green concrete floor dye...

Attached Files:

• aero.jpg
      aero.jpg
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
  29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

From the outside it was a 10, the inside was probably a 5 or so. I should've taken a pic, just didn't think of it.

30. Abomination

Abomination

Somebody sees one, even if it's a camera phone pic, hook us up! :D

~Jason