Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jeff Bradshaw walks through a hoard for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captainjunk#2, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a few years ago My youngest son and I decided to buy all the 64 thru 72 trucks we could. We placed adds on craigslist and the shopper papers. wanted 64 thru 72 chevy trucks will pay up to $500. and we bought over a hundred in a couple of months. Im certain anyone can find the project of their dreams at a reasonable price . There is no point in giving free rent to guys who think their stuff is made out of unobtainum.

2. images.jpg
    I'm pretty sure this is what we're dealing with here.
    There is a way to do this. I love stuff like this. The bigger, the better.
    However, you need to have the owner 100% behind you though. Sadly, I don't think this is the case here.
    Nobody has mentioned this aspect yet } Even after every speck of iron is gone , the owner still has the dirt that it was on....And he's worried about the price of a 65 Chevelle?
    Sad case, that won't end well.

3. I'm out.
    I don't want to know more!

5window likes this.
  4. The37Kid

The37Kid

How long do the $20.00 tours last? Do you get to see stuff you are interested in or just the crap? :confused:

Bob

5. steel3window

steel3window
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My impression is that the tour lasts as long as you need to see what you want to see...

Old wolf likes this.
  6. Actually, I don't have a big problem with the $ 20. I'd used it to reserve a spot over the 'net. So many a day, so it doesn't turn into a madhouse. Just show up on time and get your $20 back. Still make money that way, anyway.
    Okay, not going to tell them how to do it. Disregard.

7. It’s sad this may end the way it’s going to end.

Lots of usable parts and cars if the owner would price it right, not free but right.

An auction would be they way to do it at his age, maybe he won’t get the money he is thinking of but it would be a large influx at one time, stuff is gone to good homes and move on.

I see this ton getting turned into kias and Hyundai’s in the future

Shame.

PunkAssGearhead88 and Old wolf like this.
  8. 5window

5window

Not trying to pick a fight but I still don't get that mindset. On the one hand, you're completely destroying stuff because it's yours. On the other hand, you've got folks donating their stuff to help others finish their dream-think HAMBAndy. I think I'll have to just wander away confused. But, I'll side with Group B, that's just me.

9. 5window

5window

I think you only get your tour fee back if you actually buy something. I imagine the tour goes, "How much is this? I don't know. How much is that? 3 gazillion dollars". I don't think it will ever be a madhouse, most everyone is staying home.

PunkAssGearhead88 and Old wolf like this.
  10. Just call me greedy stingy then. I don't care ive got a thick skin. I have this Rule you cannot give away whatever it is you do for a living. and for many years I made much of my living from my hoard. And today the money I can derive from it supplements my retirement. I don't have a 401 all my retirement funds are tied up in my hoard. There is a saying that's if you are in business and sell for a profit you will never go broke. Now in order to do that. You must make your profit on the front end. You must buy at a bargain. If you cannot buy at your price walk away. If you have the cash something else will come along. Ok so if you buy at a bargain then you can still sell cheep enough to leave room for the next guy and still make a reasonable profit. Sometimes you can do things that add value. Like buying two separate projects and by selling them as a pair there is enough good parts to complete one. And then you have stuff that will not sell for as much as you have invested. So instead of selling to the general public at a loss. You send it to be recycled still at a loss but you want to make certain its gone. That's just how it is. Now the hoard in question. Its apparent his prices are full on retail or higher. He isn't leaving any room for the next guy. That's fine its his stuff but it will never really sell. Im still of the opinion that there are lots more projects than ready willing and able buyers.

The37Kid and VANDENPLAS like this.
  11. One thing about a auction. you get every penny that its actually worth at that time and place. Ive bought a lot at auctions over the years. and quite often I had to out bid the scrap man.

WTF really and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. Old wolf you are right, and if you can do it then do it, but if and when you get to an age / health etc point we’re you know you can’t do what’s required to move it out then why not sell it all..... all of it cash in what you can, scrap what you can’t and take the cash and spend it on your family , self, vacation ..... fucking buttons if that’s what you like !!!

Better then having it sit , go to waste and all of it becoming scrap!

Auction would be it for me, I’ve been to a bunch I’ve won a few thing ( wayyyyy cheap and come away ok on others )
    But I wanted it and either way it went my wallet said ok

Old wolf likes this.
  13. I 66 and am not yet at the point where I am not able to perform the necessary work to have our hoard. I drought in three pickups last year. a M farmall tractor and a D4 bulldozer. got two of the truck running. sold one. got the tractor and bulldozer running. I am realistic and fully understand I am well into the winter of my life. But for the moment Im still having fun. Im retired every day is a Saturday.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i think the owner believes all this tin is made of platinum , and no one is going to get a deal , the only value was a free look at his stash , but i believe he will die with it , and it will end up in city or state hands and be dealt with by the crusher

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  15. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

16. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

What I get out of this is we have a hoarder with a mental problem. I think that he understands he has this problem and wants to do something about it. I believe his way of coping is by asking too much for his things.
    This does two things.
    It makes him feel like he is doing something that he knows needs to be done.
    But by asking too much, it sabotages that endeavor allowing him to keep his stuff longer.
    Just give it time guys. His coping mechanism will weaken and he will want to see his stuff move.
    This doesn’t happen over night with someone like this.
    Especially someone without a family.
    This stuff has been his family and always there for him.
    He needs time to see it differently.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf and steel3window like this.
  17. 1low52

1low52

It makes me sad.
    These cars pictured and many more like them at this property could't be bought and got sold to scrapper at auction after owners death. 100_3478.JPG 100_3514.JPG 100_3513.JPG

scotts52 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. phat rat

phat rat

Apparently the scrapper placed a higher value on them than you or others at the auction did. Therefore no reason to bitch

Old wolf, 5window, The37Kid and 2 others like this.
  19. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Just because they went to a scrapper doesn’t mean they were crushed. I know a number of scrappers who wouldn’t think of crushing something like these. They know they are worth more as they are. Then make more money selling them as they are....
    Or they just become part of their own hoard

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nailhead A-V8 and The37Kid like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

21. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Now this statement I agree with! After watching the video and reading what other HAMBers wrote about the owner and the "seller", I would not waste my time going to look at them even if I lived close by. There are plenty of projects out there for sale by realistic owners who want to sell at a reasonable price. You might have to look at a few and ask around for leads.... but dealing with these guys is only going to get you frustration.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  22. That's why if I have something that doesn't sell and I decide to take it to the scrapper and sell for junk price. I make certain its junk. I wapp the bejabbers out of it with my rear backhoe bucket. I want to make certain it gets recycled.

23. roder1935

roder1935

That is absolutely redickulas
    If it's scrap to you why would you care what somebody does with it after you sold it to them

24. 1low52

1low52

'Ignorance is bliss'.
    I know every situation is different.
    In this situation the lawyers handling the sale would not sell to private individuals because the cars had no 'paperwork', and the scrapper would not sell to us. We tried, believe me.
    Could be he wanted them himself, they were passed on, I don't know.
    I, and many others, tried for 40+years to convince the owner to sell but he never wavered that they would not be sold as long as he lived. He was right.
    As stated, 'it makes me sad'. And I'll bitch if I want to.:cool:

Nailhead A-V8 and 5window like this.
  25. 5window

5window

Lawyers!

26. ive bought pretty desirable cars with no paper work. and when I had the revenue Dept run the Vin numbers to see if I could get a bonded title I found their where liens on the title. So I couldn't sell them to anyone. just part them out. or send them to the scrapper. I certianly do not want anyone that has a official capacity to see the vin numbers on those. So they get beat to crap to make certain no one tries to title them. Or I might just want to reduce the number of available projects. so those get beat up so they are certain to be scrapped. Kinda like the Hartung idiot new car dealer who if a new vehicle became a year old he parked it and let it set and rot and let good trade ins set and rot. There are still plenty of project vehicles. You just have to be ready willing and able to buy them.

27. Ok I was over stocked with Pk truck cabs that had good roofs and cowl but the floors and rockers where rusted away. So I made certain when I hauled them off the roofs and cowl weren't any good. That way if someone needs a roof they can still buy one from me. and by beating and mashing I can haul a bigger load. no need in me saving a 100 cabs with rusty bottoms. I don't care what someone does with their own stuff no matter if they bought it from me or anyone else.

28. phat rat

phat rat

Under those circumstances I understand. You said it was an auction and I thought you weren't bidding high enough to get any

1low52 likes this.
  29. most scrap men have deeper pockets than most of us do. Sometimes they are buying for someone else. They may have contracted with a broker to buy and deliver a certain number of tons of scrap. and the broker furnishes the cash to buy and the scrap man receives a buyers fee and is paid for his time and labor. in such a situation it is not his to sell. There is a steel mill at Newport Ark. But they will not buy from the general public. You must contract thru a broker to sell to them. The same goes for the Nucor Yamato steel mill at Blytheville Ark.

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Been in that Nucor mill in Blytheville many times!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.