Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeep T5 trans in the torquetube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stovebolt, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Still refining the machining program. Should have some done by the end of the month.

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I made some progress on the S-10 addapter. I've proven the casting and worked out the program. Here are some pics of the first fully machined casting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bct likes this.
  3. man that rules.

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

That's cool!!!

Any idea of a price ballpark yet?

No rush, just curious.

5. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ya, I just put my materials pricing together today. Man things have increased in the last year. looks like it will be closer to $500.

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

Still not a bad price for what it is.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Just picked up an S10 4x4 T5 thinking it'd work better in the Model-A application. Got a roadster that will see some work in a couple years...might have to get on the list!

CDO, Will your adapter have the V8 torque-tube bolt pattern or the Model-A or both?

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ernie,
    Unfortunately the bolt patterns are not close enough to make one pattern work for all of them and not far enough to put multiples on one.

If you want, I can put the V-8 pattern and one of the Model A patterns on one but the V-8 pattern would have to be rotated 90 degrees.

9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Getting close??

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Here's another maybe dumb question - can I use a Model-A clamshell on a V8 torque-tube? The u-joints are the same, right? If so, i could just do it that way...

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

x2 :)

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for reminding me, yes, you can use the Model A clam shell and ball cup on a V-8 torque tube.

I'm working on the yokes now. once those are done, the kits will be ready.

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I thought you might be able to, but never had 'em side by side - problem solved!

14. nexxussian

nexxussian

Err, how about a Model A setup, on a Model A torque tube (1931 if it matters)??

15. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

?????????????????I'm so ready to get this project going

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Sorry Guys, I've hit another snag. the shop that was going to do the spline work for my yokes closed and I'm trying to find a new one..

17. nexxussian

nexxussian

So how would one go about hooking up a speedometer on a Model A torque tube equipped setup?

I see what appears to be a speedo drive on the 'V8' setup, but I don't recall one on the A (could be a brain fart by me though).

18. 36tbird

36tbird

I, like some others, just stumbled on this great thread. Maybe kind of a related question:
    Looking at that pic in a recent Street Rodder mag where someone adapted an early shifter to a T-5 to move it forward and have it in the stock location, is that something that could be done with this set-up? Anybody point me to more info on that shifter re-location? Thanks.

19. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

The speedo is the same for model a and v8 ..its on the torque tube

20. nexxussian

nexxussian

Thank you.

I couldn't remember where it was, and I didn't have a picture.

21. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

How are the yokes coming along ??

22. Going to bump this out of curiousity.

I've been piecing together a Model A pickup out of the junk I've been collecting the last 5 years wondering if I can get it to the point of an engine and it occurs to me with an adapter I could put the Jeep T5 behind a Chevy 2.8 V6 and run that with the '40 rearend I have in the A already. This because I have all those parts laying here already. And it would allow for an easy swap to a flatty later.

Now if I just hadn't scrapped the car with the 2.8 carb intake on it... oh well those are probably cheap enough, the problem is a non-computer distributor. But that's a topic for some other thread.

23. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

24. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

25. doctorZ

doctorZ

I know this is a little late, but I got my closed drive conversion piece at the LARS and could not be any happier with it. The craftsmanship is incredible and it fits like a dream. It is definitely worth every penny, even though there were a lot of pennies! If it is something you are considering, I hope you go for it and order one from Dan. You will be very please with the product.
    -drZ

Outback likes this.
  26. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Have you shortened your drive shaft yet??? I hope someone does a tech on it...model a that is

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm assuming that you have the solid model A drive shaft. find out how much you have to shorten the drive shaft and torque tube. It should be the same for both. The shaft will be cut @ 12" from where the pinion mounts and the section to be removed will be cut from the forward section of the shaft just ahead of where it was cut.If you have a lathe, then turn a sleeve that is between 1 5/8" - 1 3/4" diameter out side and the bore of the sleeve will be bored to a slight press fit for the drive shaft where the shaft was cut and shortened. The sleeve will be @ 4" - 6" long. Then drill 4 ea 1/2" holes thru the side of the sleeve about 1" in from each end of the sleeve. these holes are for rosette welds. when the front half of the shaft is shortened to the length needed, re assemble the shaft using the sleeve by pressing in each half of the shaft to the mid point of the sleeve so that the two ends meet mid way into the sleeve. Now that it is assembled, weld the shaft to the sleeve at the ends and through the 1/2" holes that are drilled in the side of the sleeve making sure that the weld starts on the shaft and continues to fill the hole from the bottom up. once everything is welded, take it to a drive shaft shop and have them balance it.

Or take the shaft to a driveshaft shop and have them do this work. you will have to tell them how much to shorten it.

The other option is to have it cut to the right length and have either a new spline or new tapper cut on the end of the shaft.

[​IMG]

Shortening the torque tube can be done a couple of ways.
    One way is to cut the weld off where the tube and the rear flange that mounts to the rear end are attached, cut the proper amount from the tube, and reassemble the flange and tube.

Another way is to remove a section from the center of the tube and make a sleeve that fits inside the tube about 1" on either side of the joint and reassemble the two halves of the tube and weld the new joint.

[​IMG]

28. doctorZ

doctorZ

it is going in a model A, but the rear end is a 1946 ford passenger car rear. I have not cut the shaft yet. we have a guy in our shop that does all that good stuff and is going to show me how. i will be sure to do a tech article on the whole process once it is done. In the mean time, i am going to shorten the tube and cut the shaft short so i can hang it all for mock up.
    -drZ

29. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm getting ready to install my t 5 into my model a ...I'm going to get a Astro clutch disk....I'm not sure the size of my disk in the truck now..I think its a 10 inch clutch..does anyone know??

30. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Mine is done the cashiers check is in the post to CRAZY DADDYO

[​IMG]

[​IMG]