Register now to get rid of these ads!

jb weld or silicone gasket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badpat, Dec 27, 2003.

1. badpat

badpat

i have a small crack (about 1/8 inch) in my 8" housing, just outside where the pumkin bolts into the housing- nothing major, just drips a bit. i don't feel like pullin the rearend out now, so just want to patch it- any ideas as to what would be better jb or silicone???

2. skipperman

skipperman

JB will do it...clean the area GOOD and try to file a 'V" in the crack for better adhesion....JB has fixed everything I used it on.....(including freeze cracks in a block !)

Jersey Skip

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Why did it crack? Thats the first question you need to ask yourself! I wonder do you have problems your not considering?
    Steel doesn't crack without a reason.

Bill

4. badpat

badpat

it's been cracked as long as i have owned it, just fed up with teh small drip

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Use the JB Weld quick set stuff. Standard JB Weld will take too long to set up & probably won't seal worth a damn w/90wt leaking around it...

[​IMG]

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Why not weld it up and forget about it? If you don't weld, any muffler shop should fix it reasonably and permanently.

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Why not weld it up and forget about it? If you don't weld, any muffler shop should fix it reasonably and permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this crack at the lower edge of the housing? HRP

8. badpat

badpat