Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jalopy Showdown Drags one month out!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scarylarry, Sep 2, 2010.

1. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

a very BIG THANK YOU to Larry and his team for putting on such a great show !!!!

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Well, despite a fantastic attempt, I didn't make to the drags... bummed.

I drove my roadster down to williamsport, PA on friday, played two gigs that night and then my wife, Mary, called me at 1 am. She's got a heart condition that at times really gives her trouble. She was feeling really sick and contemplating going out to the hospital so I nixed my beaver springs plans, cancelled our sat night gig and beat feet back to buffalo. Or tried to anyhow... When I got to Dansville, NY at 3am, I stopped for gas and noticed one of my compression fittings on the fuel block was weeping a bit. So while two drunken rednecks getting gas next to me asked me stupid questions about the car and took turns spouting racist BS, I tried to fix it. However, the more I messed with it the worse it leaked until it was squirting out like a super-soaker... Nothing's open... I ended up sleeping (or trying to anyhow, it was F*%#ING COLD!) on the front seat of my roadster in the gas station parking lot until the auto parts store opened up at 7:30am and I could get a piece of rubber fuel line and a barb fitting. Not how I was planning to spend my fri night, and I wasn't of much use to my ailing bride either!

Anyhow, Mary's feeling better, thank god. I'm finally caught up on sleep. and even though Henry did it, don't EVER use copper for fuel lines. Even short lengths hard mounted at both ends like mine were. It seems like the vibration just worked the lines right at the compression sleeve until fuel was able to leak between. I guess maybe if you only drive your car once a month on sundays it might hold up, but for interstate travel, it just doesn't work.

Oh well, hopefully next year I'll have my 27 drag roadster ready!

3. plmczy

plmczy

Hey Andy glad to hear the wife is doing good. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I wondered where you guy's were, hoping nothing bad happened. later shawn

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

A big thank you to Slim for displaying the H.A.M.B. banner to sign and meet at!

Always good to see and talk to other Hambers at these events and find out where to meet up next.

5. looks like it was another great day... work unfortunately came first and had to miss it

6. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Good to hear your wife's alright. I was in Williamsport Friday night too, headed out early Saturday morning. Too bad we couldn't of met up, I'd love to see that roadster.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Is there an email mailing group for the event?

8. bje31

bje31
    from Western PA

another great show....

9. doug free

doug free