Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jalopy Racer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reefer, Mar 9, 2004.

1. reefer

reefer

if you ever wondered where all the old Fords went, this will give you a pretty good idea.I`ve just found this site and I appologize if it`s been covered before.

get the Kleenex ready, it will effect you one of two ways, and you`ll need the tissue for either [​IMG]

www.geocities.com/toml242001/

2. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

great site... hmmmm goes nowhere

3. reefer

reefer

Guess I was just lucky when I hit on it.It stays on for a while,about five mouth watering pages then spits you out, something about overloading or whatever, then I can get in again later and hit another few pages....the pictures on this site are really worth the messing about.If you go to

www.californiajalopy.homestead.com

it will give you a taster.Why was it always Fords that they raced, and the choicest models ??

4. Ted H

Ted H

Why was it always Fords and the choices models?

We've got to think of it in the context of the times. Remember, the hey day of jalopy racing was in the late 40's early 50's. Also, t guys who raced them were just working stiffs like many on this board.In that time frame and for the money there just weren't any engines available that would compare to the Ford and there were a lot of pretty simple tricks to up the HP.( possible exception- Jimmy inline 6) The wrecking yards were full of Ford V-8's and Model A coupes were nearly a dime a dozen.Even in the mid to late 50's we could pick up a running Model A for $25-35 and 32, 33, 34 cuopes were sometimes available. The old Ford coupes were light and a modern (59AB) engine would bolt right in.
    Yes it makes sad today, but for the working guy with a house full of wife and kids those old junkers were a cheap way to go for some fun on Saturday night.
    My$.02, Ted: