Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jaguar Mk IX questions....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Thanks for the reply Rocky, but I think i'd better look alittle closer to home...and when I can convince my wife I need the motor (besides the 3 flatties).
    And I agree..staying focussed is the key, or else we'd ALL have 36 unfinished "works in progress'.
    That Mk IX would be COOOOL, but it would be a bitch to repair, and suck all of your time/money. Maybe another will come along, in better shape, when you've got the time. [​IMG]

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Personally, I like the luxo-cruiser idea, but I'd have to go with a fifties Buick or Olds 98 with a 455 and an overdrive auto. Ice cold air and leather- it doesn't get any better!

3. Sailor

Sailor

I know Im late on this one, but here we go..
    Its wrong that the E-type is the only attractive Jag from the sixties. Its definatly the most attractive (roadgoing) Jag, but at least over here, all sixties Jags are attractive IF they are in good shape. My old man bought his 64 mkII (similar to the rusty one in the first pic), which is in great condition for abt.$20.000, which is a good price compared with a lot of other ones I have seen. Over here that money could get you a 2d tri-five ht in the same condition. If on the other hand both cars were in really bad shape; the tri-five would be worth 5 times more than the Jag. If in the shape Rocky describes the Mk IX, someone would take on the Tri-five, but the Jag would die.

Other than that, I'll bet there is a lot of parts on the wreck someone really needs. Those old, big Jags doesnt have all the attention the MkIIs and E-types have partswise.

4. I totally love the Bently look of the car. It just OOzes class. I can picture it all finished in black with a silver flake cove, parked gleaming in my driveway....or slinking through the shaded fairgrounds at Back to the 50's, windows up with the a/c on....
    Truth is, it needs everything! It would have to be a frame-off project to fix the rusty floor and possibly a rusty frame, not to mention needing all the new motormount bracketry welded in place for an American V/8 etc etc....
    I love projects like that but not until I have a place to put it and the time to put toward it. Damn! All I really need is to win the lottery!.........

5. Sailor

Sailor

Amen on the lottery part...

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've always thought those would look cooool with a fastback & those fadeaways....ooooooze
    [​IMG]

7. Hay Rock Man from Nebrasky- If I ever said anything worth listening to -stay away from english cars........love the brits hate their Iron-I only have my 37 Rolls Royce limo/job to compare to that Jag redo- but I almost quit on car as a result of working on that over the pond shit.[sorry but its true] NOT THE BEST ENGINEERING]If you want the Bently look do as I did -I once built a 41 chevyRagtop chopped three and sectioned three with moulded in "fadeaways" and it looked so much like a Bently I sold it![Isnt a metropolitan ALSO english?]sheeezh! [​IMG]oh well I removed all the english mechanicals..... [​IMG]

8. Paul2748

Paul2748

Parts are going to cost PLENTY!!!!!. For instance, to have the calipers redone will probably cost in excess of 600 bucks. I know, I had some XKE calipers redone seven or eight years ago (for my kids car) and they cost over 500 bucks. Plan on all other parts to be expensive. If you think Caddy parts are expensive, wait till you price Jag parts.

9. Yeah, Kenny...that's how ya do it! My lil brother [was with me at the drags] and I took an innocent little mild-mannered Morris Minor and removed everything mechanical except the door latches....substituted American stuff, including the electrical for a reliable little 10 second weekend cruiser..
    I saved the lever action shocks and gave away the steering rack... and the front hubs and drums to a Riley owner in need [bless him].....all the rest went to Japan to make us new Camrys........

10. 201

If any one is serious about roddind that Jag, check out Hemmings under Jag parts, look for John's Car's. He's had ads in there for years for V-8 conversions and other stuff.H also has page long rants about any thing that piss's him off.Good luck with Lucas-Prince Of Darkness !