Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's getting cold out, how do you heat your garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tracer55, Nov 30, 2011.

1. synchro7

synchro7

I use a 125K BTU overhead radiant (black tube) heater. Have it on a setback t-stat, 50 at night and 66 during the day. It only raised the average fuel bill about $35.00 a month. Plus, I gave $400.00 for it and it was only 1 year old.

2. garage!? pfffft we don't need no stinkin garage! and if its stupid cold out and I just HAVE to wrench on something, a burn barrel works just fine lol

3. Harms Way

Harms Way

And there portable,....

[​IMG]

4. My neighbor replaced his heat in his home and gave me the old oil fired furnace. I just put a plug on the wire and stuck a rubber hose in a can of diesel, been working great for the past six years. I have instant heat for cheap..........
    [​IMG]

5. AfterhoursFab

AfterhoursFab
    from NJ

We've been going the easy route and tried every kind of propane heater available but finally came across a style similar to this:

[​IMG]

There no comparing it to the torpedo style or the IR style, this thing heats up a 2 car garage in about 5 min, its gets so hot on the lowest setting that you have to occasional shut it off so you dont keel over lol

6. oj

oj

I got a good sized shop and have oil furnace, on a cold day with wind i'll go thru $30-35 in fuel and i have the thermo set at 64deg. If i am not careful i'll go thru $800 a month for heat!

7. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Just open the door and let the sun shine in LOL Nice to be in AZ

8. Mine is hot as hell in the Summer and colder that the proverbial witches' tit in the Winter. Close the doors in the Winter and open them in the Summer. Mine is 2,400 sq ft, so I can't afford to install and run heat or air.

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used to use torpedo heaters, stink bad and too much soot. I went last fall to the local Menards store and bought a 45000 BTU hanging gas heater for residential garages. I have about $700 in it total. I love it. I keep the thermostat about 50. When I get off work turn it to 60-65, and work in pleasure

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one of these in my 30 x 40 x 14 shop, which is well insulated on all sides. I bought the 75K BTU through 250K BTU Model, and it's really too much for my shop. I run it at it's lowest setting and then slowly shut the valve on the propane cylinder to get it even lower. I'm in north central Minnesota, and I still have to shut it off occasionaly because it gets to hot in the shop. I'm trying to sell this one so I can buy the 35K BTU to 85K BTU model which I can run at a lower setting. Hopefully, I can then run it continuously at a lower setting and use less propane (which ain't gettin' any cheaper).

One thing to be careful of. These things throw of a lot of intense heat. Winter before last, I was using it and was standing with my back to it about 3 ft away. I bent over to do something, which pushed my butt closer to it, and all of a sudden, felt a burning sensation on the back of my leg. I looked around and saw that the frayed spot on the back of my jeans had caught on fire. I ended up with burns on the back of my leg that required a hospital stay and a substantial skin graft. I was laid up for two months.
    I still use it, but have a healthy respect for it. I try to locate it as far as I can from anything and make sure I am at least 10 feet from it whan working on anything. Also, any jeahs with any fraying are NOT worn in the shop. Frayed denim (cotton and or polyester) is what we used in Boy Scouts as tinder when we used primitive fire-starting methods. It is very flammable. I now have a set of fireproofed cover alls.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  11. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

A old wood heator I built in 1979 ...

Attached Files: