Register now to get rid of these ads!

its f'n hot! what a/c do you use if any....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sandimasguy, Jun 5, 2006.

1. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

i want to put a/c in my shoebox. i know ill probably have to hear but its hot as hell and i want to drive the shit out of my car.

so what system have you used and is there a best place to buy it? maybe a hamber?

i also have one of those new window a/c units but i think it would look kinda lame on the car and they shoot water at you and dont get that cold

thanks in advance all!

2. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

Do a search. The consensus seems to be Vintage Air, but whatever you do, do not use Southern Air! Too many horror stories.

Tucker

3. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

did a serch but it seems to come up with just about every post on this board

4. scoop

scoop

Do what my wife, did take your pants off! Kinda of hard to concentrate on driving!!!

5. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

Dude. I hear ya about the heat. It feels like its about 110 degrees in my truck on Sat. I just about parked and wanted to cry in traffic.

6. Slide

Slide

...which will tell you to go w/ 100% Vintage Air. :rolleyes: :D

I have a cobbled together setup from several vendors... very unimpressive performance. Personally, the most effective thing I've found is to lay off the Dr. Pepper & beer so I don't sweat as much, roll down the windows, pop open the vent windows and drive. Granted, most of my driving is at 50 mph +++, and it hasn't been as humid here the last couple summers.

7. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

its was 107 here yesturday. i drove my shoebox with no air and the original flathead. just roll the windows down. if you want A/C get a new car. IMHO

8. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

what if you have no vent windows and you side glass opening is about 7 inches?

9. kustomd

kustomd

I'd go with vintage air especially on something chopped. I'm thinking about putting air in my wife's car and my car just because of the heat. That will probably be the nicest things on both cars.

10. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

here is the car

and i have plenty of new cars to drive but those are not as fun

Attached Files:

11. Relay

Relay

i put a vintage air kit in my camaro, the kit wasnt that hard to install at all and here in phoenix yesterday it was about 116, and it cooled off in my camaro almost as good as my 04 silverado, if i had better floor insulation i'd be wearing a jacket.

in other words it works great, comes with an adjustable expansion valve to help tune the ac for best performance. to me it was worth the 1,100 doll hairs

12. mikes51

mikes51

The units that mount behind the dash (vents cool air from center and outside corners of the dash) are better than the under dash box units. Vintage air is especially good if you have a stock classic. Their units go the extra step in design so the installation looks stock (no extra controls that look added on).

I also drove my car to a run the first time it was chopped with no vent windows. The day I got back I ordered an A/C system on sale from JC Whitney. That was 12 years ago. Since then I replaced a few components,converted from r12, so it's now a combination of parts from HotRod Air, local shop's hoses and crimps, and the original Texas subcontractor for JC. Whitney. It's an under dash box unit and it works fine for me. If I were to buy another whole unit I'd also go with anyone except Southern Air.

Make sure to plug up all the leaks around the window frames and door weatherstripping. Also get good linsulation around the floorboards and firewall.

13. sandimasguy

sandimasguy

where is a good place to order the vintage air system

i looked on thier site and there are tons of vendors but nobody stocks the systems and they say like 3 week delivery.......doh!

14. Relay

Relay

i ordered my kit directly from vintage air it arrived about a week later.

15. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Stay away from Old Air Products in Fort Worth!

16. I just ordered a new Vintage Air directly from Vintage Air unit for my 59 Ford Ranchero. They promised no longer than three weeks delivery to Bakersfiled, CA. They said it could be sooner, but my unit is a "one-off-the-shelf" special that have to piece together and din't want to promise any sooner. We shall see. Talk to John at Vintage, he is a good listener.

17. Catdaddyo

Catdaddyo

I need to know why ? I was just getting ready to order one....

18. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I just finished air in my F-100 and used an original hang on unit from a 65 Mustang, It looks vinatge and performs very good. The hang on units will out perform behind the dash units because they don't have to blow through any hoses. You get air directly over the evaporator. I paid $50. for the hang on, cleaned and painted it, changed the expansion valve, bought new chrome balls for it, and have less than $100. in it. The rest of the parts can be had from any of the A/C suppliers. If you don't want to fool around with old stuff, but still want vintage looks, these units can be bought new from any of the Mustang suppliers for the same money or less than Vintage air. And I have used many kits from Old Air with great success, and would use them again without question.

19. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Why is that:confused: That's where i got mine for my shoebox and it fits and works like a dream. It was recommended by a few of the guys on shoeboxford.com. I got great customer service when I called. They were very knowledgable and even sent me a couple extra vents at no charge that I wanted. I'd use them again.

20. Dirty2

Dirty2

Try to use freon 12, to me it seems to get colder. But in my sedan I have a water cooler (swamp cooler) in the floor for Danyelle.

21. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

I've used them all in every type of car imaginable. Vintage Air and Hot Rod Air seem to be the best out there. Every company has their problem systems, but I've had the least trouble with those.

22. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

vintage air-these kits purely kick ass. and they will make the little cab of your shoebox nearly uncomfortably cold.

I can attest that in a '69 chevy pickup cab, you can't leave it on too long-it will freeze your nuts off!

23. I have been collecting cheap used parts for my rat rod air. I'll be damned if some bastard didn't beat me to it.

Attached Files:

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've used Vintage Air in several HotRods and they worked great. In my current project 'Caveman' I'm using a system from Classis Auto Air http://www.classicautoair.com/ Call and ask for Brady, he was very helpful to me.
    The car is not done yet, so I'll give a report when completed.

25. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Vintage Air has a bitchin underdash Mark IV unit for under $300. Buy a condensor, drier, and compressor, run the lines and hoses, charge it up and cruise in comfort. This is the system I'll be installing in my '64 C-10 Daily driver. VA makes a "Sure Fit" kit for my truck, but I prefer the look of an underdash.

26. Hot Rod Air is also a good company and will save you a few hundred bucks.

27. mikes51

mikes51

LMAO!!

28. Odd,,,,,I had trouble with the Vintage air system,,,,I discovered a blockage in the evaporater,,,,they did make it right after a few months,,,,

I bought a unit from Shane at Southern Rods and never had a problem,,HRP

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

i suppose this would be a good post to tack this thought onto, not meaning ti hyjack but to help with the heat.

would you guys figure putting down a good floor/headliner insulation would keep the inside temps down? the floors in alot of these cars get preety warm after a while if theres nothing but metal under your feet.

im not sure if itd just keep it hot in there or keep it out?

if itd help keep it cool any recomendations product wise?

tim