Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's all about the kids man! KKOA Salina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bugnastynastybug, Jul 30, 2012.

1. bugnastynastybug

bugnastynastybug

His was not the most traditional car at the KKOA Salina show but he was probably the coolest car OWNER there. This guy (and I didn't get his name, sorry) had an outrageous Hemi Charger show car, top dollar, monster motor, custom interior, perfect stance, sawblade brake rotors even, just crazy over-the-top killer stuff, all extremely well done. This is the car that I would expect to see behind ropes or on a turntable at a big indoor show.

Nope, not this guy, he drove it in, it was clean but not spotless and he was letting kids sit in it and take their pictures! The look on those kids faces and their dad's was just priceless, I can just imagine they were telling everyone they met about getting to sit in that "awesome black car". Texting pics to their mom and their buddies.

This is the kind of guy that fosters a love of old cars with the younger crowd, makes them want one, want to learn more about them and even build their own one day.

I talked to the owner for a minute and told him how special that was and he seemed genuinely thankful for me to say that. He said it's just a car and the kids love to have their pictures taken in it. He told me he had 300 kids sit in that car at a WOW car show earlier this year.

For me, that is what having a cool car is all about: to drive, to enjoy, to share it with others.

DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0725.jpg

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

That's the future right there..........I still wonder why guys 'shun' kids when they try to ask stupid questions about their car........or haze them for getting to close........Those little "Hooligans" are going to buy your NOS junk at an estate sale for nothing......been there/done that the last couple of years & I'm not a punk kid anymore.

3. Sounds like he gets it. That car might be o/t, and I normally don't care for big wheels.....but being a Mopar nut I have to say that car is pretty freaking cool!!!!

4. the guy is may what a lot of guys can learning some from and i hate this to say ,everything on this car is what i dont like ...but in this combination,just great

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

6. tjmercury

tjmercury

Amen, If we don't get them interested in this hobby, it WILL die. It seems like every time we go to a cruise-in, I wil burn 1/2 a tank of fuel giving kids and little old ladies a run down the main drag in my convertible, but as said it is worth seeing the giant perma-smiles on their faces!

7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Most of the guys in our car club won't let kids near their rides .
    I always invite them to "Hop in, have Dad take a photo of ya ", I don't care if you have to stand on the seat to see out.
    They love it ,after all it's just a car, I built it I can fix anything they might mess up.

8. thats very cool of him and not to bust any bubbles but thats a plymouth roadrunner

9. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

When someone is taking a picture of someone by my car, I always open the door and invite them to set in it. By the way I was at Salina, what neat show.

10. adamshumard

adamshumard

That car was killer. And the guy was cool. Not what i went there to see, but im damn glad i got to see it. As said before, alot of things that I dont care for normally, but they fit that car perfectly.

11. I'm not feeling any love for the car but the man opens the door for kids,and I respect his willingness to do so,I've done it many times over the years these kids will always remember this. HRP

12. yblock292

yblock292

This is funny, remember years ago had my 29 highboy (my avatar) and a buddys 30 coupe in starbirds show and were letting little kids climb in the cars, stand on the seats jump around while parents were getting pics of it all. Problem was then the kids thought they could do it in all the cars! Oops, oh well we had fun doing it and the kids had a ball!

13. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

That's really nice of the guy to let people get so close and even get in the car. Reminds me of my now deceased auto tech teacher. He'd always bring in some of his cars whether it be his '51 Mercury, one of his muscle cars, or his Cadillac that would do 189 mph. He'd let us work on them, sit in them and even drive them on occasion. He was great!

The only car show I've been to was in high school when our class field trip was to help my afore mentioned teacher set up his Mercury at the show. Next to my teacher's spot was a spot set up for a '60 Corvette with a blown big block. He had his info board with a few pictures set up before the car came in. After a while he and a few other people PUSHED the car inside. The car had a cover over it. He even had covers over the tires! When I asked him if he could remove the cover so me and the other guys around could see the car, he pointed to the info board and said, "Look at the pictures." He apparently wasn't going to take off the cover until the judging because he didn't want dust to get on the car.

I spoke to one of the guys that helped him push in the car and he said that it was a trailer queen and doesn't even run because the guy doesn't put fluids in it! I said to myself right then that if I ever actually have a nice car I'd definitely not be like that guy and actually let people near my car.

14. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Props to the Road Runner guy. I'm sure the kids were thrilled to be in and around that car.

15. bugnastynastybug

bugnastynastybug

No bubbles busted here, I freely admit I don't know nothin' about no Mopars!:)

One the other side of this, I did see a car that had some sign about physical harm if you touched his car.... funny, I don't have any pics of that one.

16. dexleo2

dexleo2

I seen that car there, and a stated before not what I went there to see. But to anyone who opens his car up for the kids, my hats off to him. When I take my O/T car to the mustang shows and such, and a young kid or even an adult shows any intrest in it, I'm always happy to open the door and let them sit in it and get pictures of them in it. Hell I have even taken a couple for a cruise after the show. Got to keep the younger generations intrested in hotrods and such otherwise are shit will end up getting crushed after we are gone to make Prius and cobalts........

17. wrong car ops

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool car, cool guy.

19. At a recent show, this Dad & his very young son walked up to my car..Even though his son probably didn't know what his Dad was explaining to him ,the youngster looked like he was having a good time. I told Dad to put the lad behind the wheel..We took pictures and sent them to he & wife.. We got the nicest note in reply...Will the kid remember it..probably not...but, the look on the kids face and the proud look on Dads face made it all worth it..
    It's the small things in life that are important...

Stan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  20. BCR

BCR

I saw that car. Neat that he was getting the kids involved.

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I too saw the car, and not being a mopar fan, it still twisted my neck around and stared as it went by. Nice sweet cackle in the exhaust.