Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's 1946! Let's build a Flathead V8!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Apr 21, 2010.

1. So lets' say it's 1946 and I just got back from the war. I'm building a hot rod model A with a flathead Ford V8. What parts would have been available to upgrade my flathead? What would you build? I have a 1941 flattie if that matters....Pictures would be awesome too. The reason I ask is I want to stay "PC" i haven't found any source for what would have been available.

2. Buy a copy of the first 12? Issues of Hot Rod Magazine, it will teach you a ton.

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Tman has good advice but if you are hung up on 1946 don't forget HRM didn't start until '49. Some of Don Montgomery's books as well as old issues of "Throttle" magazine would provide you with some ideas. I think you will find that what was available immediately following the war was a bit skimpy.

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    hell yeah. i just found and bought a throttle mag-so cool.

5. thanks Tman. I'll start looking.

I wish they would reprint these...

I hadn't thought of availability problems. I'm not stuck on 1946, it's just kinda what I was shooting for in my head as my date...But that would have been my starting date. I guess anything in the post war - 1949 would be good. Wouldn't there have been some pre-war parts available? I just want to build something simple....maybe still run stock heads. I'm not sure. I just want it too look "right". I know what I want, I'm just not sure how to get there.

6. That's pretty correct...finding that early post war stuff is hard to find and spendy when you do.

7. If it was 1946, I'd look for a 32-34 Ford.

8. They did/do. the First 12 Issues is a compilation HRM did a few yeas back!

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

10. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I hear there's this guy with a wierd name building some cool intakes and regrinding cams. Victor Edelbrock or something like that.

11. I wouldn't....I'm not really a big fan of the 33-34.

bump for the day boys.

12. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

13. Koolman

Koolman

That is a great thread and build!

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

On my desk right now are the reprints of Jan-June 1948 Hot Rod magazine as well as original issues of July though Dec HRM and all years complete through 1958.

1948 was all about Hot Rod magazine.

15. bragger......:rolleyes:

16. oj

oj

Theres' two or three books, tex Smith comes to mind. the '46era model 59a is the one to go to work on. Vern Tardel refers to these books in his 'How to build a Ford Hot Rod' and has a good discussion of these engines etc and the PC thing to do. I expect you do a 'search' on flatties with tex smiths' name and a thread'll pop up and the other books will be mentioned there as well.

17. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

if your not too concerned with reproduction

a new edelbrock slingshot and stock heads would be correct for '46
    also a new thickstun pm-7 intake would be alright

both of which can be had for fair money compared to originals

18. As Zach eluded to that combination would look like this. Except this is all real Original parts. Also have a Harman Collins Dual Coil for the ignition side of things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  19. ^^^^^ looks nice. what intake is that?

would Rocky Mtn./cheater heads be available at the time?

20. I'm not a Ford man, so I can't speak to the specificities of the flathead V8, but I'm involved in a similar project (building a correct circa-1951 Plymouth NASCAR Grand-National series racer).

I believe what separates the true period correct build from the 'nostalgic' one is in the details. Pay close attention to fasteners, wiring, hoses, etc.. I've come across numerous 'repro' parts that were severely lacking in these areas (zinc plated fasteners when they should be silver cad, painted steel in place of japanned, &c.)

Period books, (HRM, Throttle, etc.) will help in achieving the general design layout & 'look', but I would seriously consider trying to find and study as many 'survivors' from the period as possible (there's only so much black & white photos will show). Go to as many shows/vintage race meets as possible...talk to the old timers, the guys that were THERE, and LISTEN...when you look at a period piece, try to place yourself in the shoes of the person that designed/built it. Ask yourself, 'why was this arranged this way?' 'What were they trying to accomplish here?' And so-on.

I would even suggest expanding your horizons by studying up old issues of Speedway Illustrated News, Speed Age, and the like. Immerse yourself in any/all things speed/industrial related from the period, and borrow heavily from them. Hell, get involved in the local Model 'A' club, learn as much as you can about the factory fit & finish, trimmings, and build techniques.

Sounds like you've got a killer build in the works...I'll definitely keep a close eye out for updates!

Best of luck!

21. Edelbrock Sling shot, pre-war casting. Heads would be just post war.

22. You totally get my train of thoughts...

23. zgears

zgears

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Remember too, progressive carb linkage didnt happen 'till the atleast the early 50's, so some people would run a 3 pot manifold with blockoff(s) unless they were hitting the track

25. Run over to Carl and Vedas they have everything to fix you up. ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  26. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Orr -----Maybe not !

27. I appreciate your generosity; my friends & family think of it as a train-wreck of incoherence rather than an organized and systematic 'train of thoughts!'

Best of luck on the car/build...please document everything for us!

-Gary

28. good to know. any exact date that progressive linkage appeared?