Register now to get rid of these ads!

is unchopped as cool as chopped???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. blackout

blackout

Everything has to be chopped to be cool except 40 Ford coupes.

2. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I think it all depends on what the owner wants...Who gives a shit what other people think. Both have their place. It all depends on the look desired.

Chopped or not chopped. Once again build the car the way you want it....be unique and not main stream.

3. Cool is what you think is cool. Not what others think. Bonus if everyone thinks its cool but..... I've seen things I think are butt ugly when the person thinks its badass. Thats OK to me as its not my car..
    I like Chopped but some cars look great unchopped.

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

There's no catch-all answer. It's preference, and hopefully, proportion is a consideration.

5. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Some cars just need to be chopped, and 49 51 Merc's are the ones that should be chopped. Just my opinion.

6. I like em both. I didn't chop my car...but my Brother did. I think they are each equally cool and will both have unique features.

[​IMG]

Ranchero59 and hfh like this.
  7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You're asking a super general question with no right or wrong answer.

My opinion: You make a hot rod or Custom into what you want. BUT... to do something solely because you think it makes you different or stand out is to completely miss the point. But if that is your bag then hey, you will probably enjoy your hot rod just as much as the Ramones shirt you picked up at Hot Topic last weekend.

Attached Files:

• chop.jpg
      chop.jpg
      File size:
      67.6 KB
      Views:
  8. DrJ

DrJ

"COOL" is just being cool without even questioning what is or isn't.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This is the attitude that has given us so many cartoon cars. A ton of over chopped stuff out there these days. What happened to the tasteful chop, the one where you have wonder is it chopped or not. It's got me to the point where I like unchopped more than most chops I see. I even had a customer that wanted a car chopped I suggested 3-4 inches and he kept saying 6-7. It would ruin the car, but it's his so I agreed, luckily I haven't seen it show back up yet.

10. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

My '54 Chevy hardtop will will not be put on the chopping block.

11. Think that about covers it...otherwise this will turn into an "it's your ride, do what you want" thread.

12. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Cris, I heard your brother and dad were chopping YOUR coupe now just to help you out cause you've been so busy with the snow shoveling.... Seriously on the chopped not chopped question' I'm starting to think this way. Being from the East coast in the 50's and 60's I was SO sick of channeled unchopped coupes I couldn't stand to look at another one. Now I think a unchopped 5 window preferably channeled is one of the best traditional looks going. Interesting thread. OB

13. PanBlanco

PanBlanco
    from Houston

All of the Chevy's in Los CoChinos have been Chopped...but Kevin Lee is right there is no right or wrong answer here. You just have to build it for yourself.

Here are a few of our cars...

Attached Files:

Ranchero59 likes this.
  14. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

It depends on the car and what that particular car say's to you....I've left them stock and unchopped because that what the car "told" me it needed. Conversley, I've chopped and sectioned a truck due to the same reason...

15. poorboy

poorboy

i like them both

16. guy1unico

guy1unico

Tudors yes or they look like a family sedan
    Most coupes No
    Once you chop cannot go back

17. zzford

zzford

'34 and earlier, chop 'em. '35 thru '36, yeah, but they look good unchopped. Later than that, leave 'em alone. This is primarely Fords I'm talking about but most cars fit in this time line I believe.

18. Sure you can... it's only steel. A guy that works with my mom restores Model A's... he's "unchopped" 2 model A coupes that had horrible chop jobs, both were chopped a long time ago by someone who didn't know what hell they were doing.

I like them both ways, depending on the car... but I've probably seen more bad looking chops than good ones.

My '32 Olds will NOT be chopped.

19. supercharged_scottsman

supercharged_scottsman
    from Galveston

I agree. I think just being a product of the '60s and '70s, I like anything that does not follow the "pack". And with 70% of the rods being basically the same body style and all chopped and dropped, anything unmolested looks unique and thus cool.;)

20. I hope somebody leaves their '53-'54 Chevy Tudor Sedans UNCHOPPED. Not a car, in my opinion that gains anything from a chop, but looses. Before long, all we'll have is chopped/Bagged cars that will represent the fad of the late 90's-Early 2000's. I can foresee the day when guys right here will talk about when car builders of this era thought "everything" was chopped and resting on the rockers "back in the day"......they weren't by the way. Centurion9

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

This thread is retarded.

22. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

23. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i always thought one of your favorite cars was a chopped purple 55 chevy wagon. hahaha! :(

24. Anything would look cool with such an attractive young lady sitting in it. I'm 6' 5" and need all the headroom I can get, so none of mine will ever be chopped.

25. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

I am one to say both ways, but less unchopped these days.. 37 p/u no chop// no channel

26. Squablow

Squablow

Apparently, if you read enough HAMB, chopped tops become boring and played out.

When you need a refreshed perspective, go find a crowded parking lot anywhere and look around at the vast expanse of beige.

27. blackout

blackout

zman I didnt say everything has to be overchopped to be cool. I like mild chops, like 2, 2.5" on a 3 window deuce coupe, and most tudors. Most early bodies benefit from some amount of chop. Overchopped loses the porportions IMO, but beauty is in the eye.

28. Koolman

Koolman

That is what I think too!
    Building a highboy unchopped 5w.

29. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Always been a fan of the early, east coast, deeply channeled, unchopped look. But any modification that improves the overall proportions of a car works for me. With chops I kind of think less is more, but that is even dependant on what the build represents and it's intended use, for instance the two (heavily chopped) Bonneville inspired coupes coming together on the board right now.

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah, but the generic "Everything has to be chopped to be cool" quote is the problem. Sorry but everything doesn't look better with a chop. There are tons of cars beside the 40 Ford that look perfect, especially if you're gonna go East Coast on it and channel the hell out of it.