Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is today's oil killing our engines??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordnutz, May 31, 2007.

1. Crap. I just put in 5 quarts of the Castrol 10-40 last night. Thing is, I almost bought the 20-50 but changed my mind.

2. yeah, this has been discussed a lot in the last year of so. Never break an engine in with just today's regular oil. That GM EOS stuff is what I hear everyone recommends for break in.

3. tjm73

tjm73

This again!?!?!?

4. As I don't read every post on here, I must have missed this discussion, so it is new to me and imagine I am not the only one. When you are putting out good money to build a flattie or hemi or nailhead, I would imagine breaking in the thing would be critical. Damage done by oil you thought was good still costs you money. Sorry to bring up the subject again. Moderators, delete it necessary. Pat.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Good post, i'm gunna switch oils then

6. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Hello..fordnutz..don't listen to the know it all. How else will you get the info if you don't ask..I'm getting ready to install my rebuilt hemi and I'm going to use Delo..for break in..then I'm switching over to synthetic..
    Duane.
    Asking is FREE...

7. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

I have been running Diesel oil for over a year now with no issue and I drive it bout every day.

8. Ive been using Castrol HD30 in my flathead six even since I got it.

9. Powerband

Powerband

Oh great, now I have to search E-Bay and the Swap meets for traditional oil... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I started using Rotella diesel grade for all my traditional engined cars. I've heard that's eventually going to lose the zinc also...

Powerband :cool:

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Better watch those synthetics as well, they're pulling some of the additives out of them as well..

Diesel has already started losing it's zinc...

11. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Look on the bottles. The stuff that's still zinc-ified is marked CI-4 or CI-4+

The new shit has CJ-4 instead.

I work at the local Wally World, and the only oil they carry that still has the CI-4+ rating is Rotella 15w-40 Synthetic. Previously "good" oils like Castrol GTX, Delo 400, and "regular" Rotella are now CJ rated.

12. cretin

cretin

I havent heard this before but I'm glad I found out before starting my rebuilt BSA motor

13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I just filled my fresh Packard with an Isky 505 hard face overlay with Rotella Heavy Duty. It is rated Cj-4 and CI-4plus. As well as a bunch of other ratings. maybe I should go back and stock up? Please advise if you really know. I'm leaning that way.

14. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

Checked out the Valvoline website and their racing oils still have all the zinc and more in them but they're "not for street use."

15. Jimv

Jimv

I think something as important as this should be mentioned every month or so!!
    I myself spun a bearing last week for no apparent reason!! maybe this is why! everything else looked completely normal.So maybe its not just "break in" when it fails.
    JimV

16. BigChief

BigChief

Yes, new diesel oils are loosing the good stuff too.

We can switch to race oils which have plenty of the good stuff in them to help protect flat tappet motors. Another option is to call your local oil suppliers. Most (if not all) still carry earlier grades of diesel oil as older big trucks and farm equipment that require the old grades with higher levels of zinc and sulfur.

...granted you may have to buy it by the case, pallet or barrel but the good stuff is out there yet for a while.

-Bigchief.

17. I agree that not everyone gets this info at the same time, so important stuff like this needs to be repeated. I just recently rebuilt a 4bolt SBC for a Corvette at our shop and the paperwork from Crane Cams specified an oil such as Rotella 15w-40. So glad I took the time to read all the fine print.
    Have been running Castrol 20w-50 in my daily driver Volvo 4cyl. for almost 80k miles and it doesn't burn a drop between 5k change intervals. Had a stcker in the window when I bought it so I think it's had Castrol since day 1. Used their 40w to break in the Olds 394 motor, but now I wish I would have known about the diesel oil.
    Florida heat is tuff on engines and a freind whom builds full-on Porsche race engines, suggested I use the 20w-50 in the v-8.
    Going to switch it out ASAP. :)
    JT

18. i use the same oil in my 239 cui flatty

19. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

fordnutz,

Thanks for posting. This is interesting!

Mike

20. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Posted on Mobil's web site 5/31/07.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is being reintroduced based on popular demand. Mobil 1 15W-50 provides higher viscosity, designed to provide extra protection for performance vehicles and vehicles that operate in severe service, such as towing, hauling and racing. Additionally, Mobil 1 15W-50 contains higher levels of anti-wear (ZDDP or Zinc DialkylDithioPhosphate) that may be required for certain racing applications and camshaft designs. This is a new Mobil 1 15W-50 formulation and is not the same as the product that was marketed a few years ago.

21. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Are you kidding? Todays oil ruining our engines as compared to what? If you go back to the '60's and prior, that oil was junk. Don't you remember overhauling a '50's or '60's engine and it would be so full of sludge you had to scrpe it off with a putty knife. I have been running John Deere plus 50 motor oil for years (15w 40) comparable to Rotella with excellent results. If you want more zinc in your oil I'll bet that is what Z-Max is, Carrol Shelby swears by it. However I don't use it.

22. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Oil's are changing constantly, so a topic with updated information about that every once in a while can't hurt anything.

392hemi,
    I searched a little and found the link you got that info from. Thanks for notifying.
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_FAQs.aspx#FAQs3

Here 's the full Product-description:
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_15W-50_.aspx

I'm about to start-up a fresly build stroker-motor with .582" solid lifter cam in it. I really would be very pissed if this stick would go flat.

23. Even Castrol and Kendall GT 40 don't have zinc any longer. We did the Rotella thing but Jerry Bickel, Pro Stock guy (It was him or Haas, can't remember) has a huge diesel shop and did back to back testing on Rotella vs. Delo and Delo diesel oil far surpassed Rotella in testing. Rotella breaks down under heat and the engine "mists" oil out of the breather in a fog. Delo doesn't. We had the same trouble with Rotella and don't with Delo. Any flat tappet cam needs zinc. Period. If it hasn't killed your cam using regular oil, it's from a well bedded deposit in the lobe or it just hasn't happened yet. You can get this stuff about anywhere and it'll save about 7 dollars plus shipping for Comp zinc supplement. I agree with the diesel oil losing zinc over the next few years due to converters and all being put on diesel trucks, but were good for now.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Actually no you're not ok, it's already being pulled. You better check the codes on any new oil...

25. gasser

gasser

I run valvoline 20w50 RACING oil in my 409, Valvoline are local to me,The rep there told me the not for street use is because the racing oils do not have as much detergent in them that the normal stuff has. If you aren't doing tens of thousands of miles a year then that is not a problem.

26. UPDATE: No more zinc in just about any oils. Even the Delo is "low emission" . Found out it's an EPA mandate too. We are working on a formula to have supplements in every major parts house on the shelf. Not saying who is doing this, but it's an old and trusted name brand like Marvel Mystery oil , if you get my drift.

27. George

George

The new CJ oil is on the shelves. How low is the zinc in CJ? Is it as low as the car oil, & how can it claim to conform to CI standards?:confused:

28. 62_Galaxie_500

62_Galaxie_500

Guess I'll have to use a roller cam now...