Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is this your kitchen?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Heaps, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

716300F6-9EEA-4756-8A9F-327410F23198.jpeg 43777B62-85E7-4043-A999-0AE599A78B5D.jpeg With the colder weather and no heat in my carport/garage, I find that I am dragging more parts into my kitchen. I’m quickly approaching an entire front clip from my ‘52 Buick! It may be a good thing I’m not married! :eek: Anyone else have this problem? Let’s see!

2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nah, the kitchen here doesn't look like that but before I married my wife 53 years ago, I lived in a two room apartment in the back of a guy's garage. My kitchen was wall to wall Harley Davidson, the bedroom was wall to wall bed and the bathroom shower was full of Harley parts. Made it easier to Gunk the greasy stuff in the shower. The relationship with the girl who later became my wife almost came to an end the first time she came to my place. It was dark and I told her to stand still in the doorway until I could get a light on. She moved and knocked my panhead over into another bike I was building. She's still with me but I'm damned if I know why. ;)

fauj, greener200, Rusty Heaps and 6 others like this.
  3. 5window

5window

Pretty much guessing you're not married. If you think you are, you might want to check again! :)

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say there's no guessing about it.

I used to have engines and motorcycles in my house, and had a Bucket T project disassembled in the basement, plus the wings, engine and empennage of a Piper Tri-pacer stored downstairs. All that shit got relocated when I got married.

I wouldn't trade my wife for anything, and she did suggest building a large shop behind the house to put most of it in. Her "suggestion" was the fruit of the seeds of many hints.......

fauj, Stogy, mad mikey and 4 others like this.

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH, Yeah!!! I can attest to the fact that I'm legally married. If she just hadn't looked so damned good in
    that miniskirt;) Do you think it 's possible that a "Why Did I Ever Get Married to Her?" thread would be out of place here?

trollst, High test 63 and Sandgroper like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice thing about working in the kitchen is that the oven is handy if you need to cure painted parts or heat a ring gear to slide over the flywheel you just took out of the freezer. Which just happens to be close at hand as well. The advantages of being single.:cool:

7. adam401

adam401

Somebodys ordering takeout for dinner.

8. williebill

williebill

You've got a lot of appliances in your way there, you'd have a lot more room if you got rid of them. All that stuff on top of your counters? What's that for ?
    I just took up my kitchen floor and replaced it. It was identical to yours. Exactly. Why did I replace it?
    Cause she wanted a new one. And we're not even married.

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm impressed by Alan Millyard who builds mind blowing motorcycles. He is married and pops his parts into the barbecue.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54 ford coupe and alanp561 like this.
  10. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty

I once literally built a ‘57 Panhead HD in my den.....I got married and that was the last “in house” build.

Sandgroper, mad mikey and williebill like this.
  11. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Ha! That brings back memories of building motorcycles during the winter when I was young. That ended after getting married but I did once convert the shower stall into an impromptu spray booth while the better half was at work and painted frames, tanks and anything else that fit. I still use the oven for press fitting parts on occasion and have re-built many a carb or sub-assembly at the kitchen table. I've been warned and put on notice hundreds of times. LOL

greener200, mad mikey and alanp561 like this.
  12. 2935ford

2935ford

As Hank sang if I did that....."I'm in the doghouse now....."

13. Uh....no, but that looks like a candidate for 'Better Homes And Gardens, Car Guy Edition' to me.

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hank sang about being " in the jailhouse now ". I guess doghouse is close;)

15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess so but I had a different kind of potted plant in mine

16. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

When I was single I had my roll around tool box in the kitchen, my welder and a bunch of parts in the laundry room, more stuff stored in the spare bedroom and living room. When I moved in with my better half she let me build a 24 by 30 garage in the back of her yard as she knew I needed a place to put my stuff. Of course she has the 2nd floor jammed with her stuff as well, and makes me store her Miata in there during the winter.

17. My first two ex-wives didn't appreciate my car/motorcycle parts in the kitchen. My next two couldn't find a kitchen with a map and a compass, let alone what went on there, even if they did find it...

67drake, Baumi, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many years ago built a bike in a spare bedroom-No problem. Still put freshly painted body parts (hoods, fenders,etc) in the living room, dining room, spare bedroom as needed-wife has no issue with that.

pigIRON63, i.rant and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. I believe the not being married was aimed at rusty heap, I honestly don't think I could get away with that many parts in the kitchen, although I did park my old panhead in the kitchen when I didn't have a garage. but that was many years ago.

I also built the bike in the spare bedroom,:) HRP

alanp561 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. 34Larry

34Larry

Got back into cars in around '86 after divorce, she let me keep the house. I built a rare ' 66 Rivi, factory duel 4bbl full show. Rebuilt the 425 cu. inch in the kitchen. Still in the same house, new bride, complete remodel and new detached shop/garage.

Sandgroper and alanp561 like this.
  21. Back in '71 when I was "married" to Uncle Sam, I got into some trouble when I was keeping some 427 ford engine parts (actually the whole thing) in my barracks. I mean.....shouldn't they tell you a few days in advance before having an inspection?? Really, that was rude :(

Sandgroper, clem, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have stored a few new parts under the bed in the past when I lived in a house that didn't have a secure storage shed.
    I did rebuild a carb on the kitchen table about 30 years ago when it was so freaking cold outside that it was impossible to work on small things outside. Tore it down an carried the parts to a buddy's shop where he put it in his carb cleaner and rinsed it off for 5.00 and then took it home and put it together on the table and then rigged a tarp over the hood of the car so it worked like a tent that I had a 500 watt halogen light set up in for light and a bit of heat.

mad mikey and alanp561 like this.
  24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Too tidy to be my kitchen. What problem?

302GMC and hotrodjack33 like this.
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife is pretty good about having "finished" parts in the house (might get overspray on them out in the garage). Currently a '36 grill and newly plated bumpers in the living room:D.

mad mikey likes this.
  26. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, and you'd have room for a whole lot more if you'd just put a third story and an elevator in.

Sandgroper, Baumi, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  27. Wasn't that Jimmy Rogers?

56don likes this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I assembled my grille for my car in our front room a few years ago. It was 104 outside. Married with children.

hotrodjack33 and Budget36 like this.
  29. 1pickup

1pickup

Even when I was single, my kitchen didn't look like that because I wanted to get laid.

30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same time frame when I was in the Army in NorCal. I kept the battery for my 4x4 in the barracks near the radiator to keep it warm when we were having -20 cold spells. No complaints from the NCO's since I was the one jump starting everyone who's cars had dead batteries from the cold. Of course for some reason I was never able to get the CO's car jumped. Told him his battery was too drained for me to jump it and to pay the guy at the Post Texaco station to get it started. :cool:

fauj and williebill like this.