Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this worth anything? 51 Ford Woody Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick_R_23, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

So I came across this car at my friends neighbors place. Ive known about it for a while but I never took the time to find out exactly what it was. Yesterday we went out and took some pictures and found out what it is - a 1951 Ford Woody Wagon, 239 V8 and auto trans. The wood is pretty much gone, no glass or hood, and the roof is in bad shape. However, the rest of the car looks solid. It would obviously need extensive restoration work but I hate to see cars sit that are savable, especially since Ive seen way worse come back to life. I have enough projects of my own right now, and Im more of a Chevy guy anyway, so if I did pick this one up I would clean it up the best I could and then try to sell it. I was told that these are worth a bit when restored, and I havent really seen or heard much about them, so I would assume its a pretty uncommon car?

These are the only pics I was able to grab, theres still a bunch of snow out so it really only shows the worst of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is what they look like completed:

[​IMG]

So, is this worth pulling out? Id rather see somebody get some use from it, rather then sitting or getting hauled off to a junkyard.

-Nick

2. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Yes these are worth something. Pull it out, don't let it rot away anymore than it has.

3. 57FORD

57FORD

and dont forget to give it to me ha ha

4. You will be nicely surprised what you can sell that for.

5. I'm taking a lichen to it.

6. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

The worst part will be getting it down...its sitting on an elevated piece of land that sits up about 6' from anything else. I have no clue how this thing got up there is the first place. Im thinking cut the bank down, try and pull it close to the edge with my truck, then slideback it off? I guess I will see when the snow melts some more.

-Nick

7. 63Compact

63Compact

If thats a little bit of snow I'd hate to see a lot, and drag that sucker out they bring a good dollar.

55hdyman likes this.
  8. skoh73

skoh73

Yup, that could be worth some jingle...

9. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Just think, a little over a month ago and you wouldnt have even been able too see the thing! :D

-Nick

10. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Dude, woody's are BANK, yeeash.
    (clean your truck up man)

Like, everyone who ever dreamed of moving to CA to become a surfer wants/ed one.
    THAT'S ALOT OF PEOPLE.

11. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

They are worth plenty, drag it out...

12. davis574ord

davis574ord

Save it brother! We cant let this stuff just rot away! We all have kids to teach about our sickness, at least thats what my wife said that we have a "sickness" she loves it asmuch as i do, thank god!

13. BEAR

BEAR

pull that thing out and let us know when you do and get allot of picks when you do ...

14. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Will do! Might start digging out more tomorrow and get a plan of attack on which way to go at it.

-Nick

15. nofin

nofin
    from australia

why not build a ramp from snow now and slide it to where you can get it?

16. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

I agree ramp it out....it will be easier than digging it out......those cars are very cool and not many around! Good luck, keep us posted!:eek:

17. the snow ramp sounds like a doable plan. But you probably should do it soon.

18. 41woodie

41woodie

Since the roof is already damaged, roll it over and make a sled out of it. A good, stout snow machine ought to be able to pull it like that. When you get to the road (if there is a road) roll it back over and load it up. With fairly deep snow I wouldn't think it would really do any damage at all to the roof.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Save it! It will make for a great road trip for someone, hope they post the story and photos here on the HAMB.

20. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

get on it. I know where a couple were in a yard in iowa about 7 years ago he wanted like $1500 then, and i thought it was a great price. the wood takes a ton work--and a special person to underake it, but there's definately a market for them.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wood n Car makes the wood kits I believe.

22. Don't forget to go back when the snows gone and grab ANY little piece on the ground. Lots of those little parts are woody only and hard to find!

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Its worth saving possibly, but if the roof is to far damaged it might not be worth much. There are a number of these cars out there but the roofs are unique and hard to fix. I had to pass on one yesterday because the roof was so tore up. The dashes are unique to woodies (not the same as the car dashes). might be worth pulling at the unique woodie parts and just selling them. No one makes Rockers that I am aware of and they are unique also.

24. Worth it weight in gold....almost. Wish i still had mine.

Attached Files:

25. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

If you like it save it. It could be a very cool car with a great story!

26. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

I could restore it....I already have some wood for it.....In my pants!!!!!:eek:

27. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

I'm gonna guess that the rockers are gonna be pretty eat'n up after sitting there in the elements in Alaska all these years. Pull and try to salvage what you can, Good luck!!

28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Tom Fritz at
    http://www.ccrod.com/home.htm
    Tom makes every piece of sheetmetal and hardware for that car including rocker panels.Look at his catalog and only 1/2 of what he makes is online.Contact Tom for a free catalog.763-241-1252

29. badshifter

badshifter

It ain't worth saving. What's your buddies number again?

30. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

Funny you should mention that, I just spent all day cleaning this thing off with a toothbrush and only got about 1/3 of the way done. 30+ years of trees shitting on it really builds up the grime, yet it comes off suprisingly easy. Looks like a whole different truck from the left side! :D

Thanks, that was a good read. Looks like the repair panels are actually pretty affordable.

Ill grab some more pics once I get some time off to dig it out more, this weekend didnt work out.

-Nick