Register now to get rid of these ads!

is this the correct bed on my '52 F1?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV8Paul, Jan 29, 2009.

1. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Last November I got this 52 F1. After looking at pictures of other '52's, I noticed my bed didn't look like the others. I noticed that the forward panel, between the cab and rear fender doesn't have a seam about 6 inches above the running board. Not a big deal, but I'd like to know what bed it is, if it's not a '52.

Attached Files:

2. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

i dont know , it looks like the correct bed
    it might have some aftermarket bed sides
    i know my 51 f-1 has the seam you are talking about

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. HotRod33

HotRod33

I don't believe your bed is for a 52 ford pickup...but I am not sure of the year.............

4. Paul,I really don't know but I like the truck!:) HRP

5. How about crawling under the bed and see if there is the flange where the bottom filler piece bolts to the upper bed side?
    The outer side could have been welded to smooth out the seam.

6. looks correct to me..nice truck btw

7. mow too much

mow too much

Thats what I'm thinking, Its been years since I built mine but I think it had the panel, I looked at what few pictures I have and can't tell.

8. hershambob

hershambob

mine looked like that and was a tipper

9. 8flat

8flat

I'd guess it was either filled, or the whole side panel replaced with a home-made panel of sheetmetal.

If you're real concerned, I can put you in touch with the guy that built my new bed, he is absolutely an expert on Ford boxes, it's pretty much all he does. He even went so far as to to tell me how the freakin' spot weld pattern is different from '50 to '51, or some crazy thing like that. (I didn't have the heart to tell him I was filling them anyway). Here's his site, talk to Todd, he's a great guy:
    http://www.northernclassictrucks.com/

10. 8flat

8flat

PS: nice wheels, where'd you get them?

11. Both my 51 and my 52 had the seam FWIW.

12. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

13. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Thanks 8flat, I'll check it out

The wheels were on my AV8. I got tired of the red wheel look and wanted to make it look more like 1940. So I got some 16" and painted them black. Lot's of miles between the two themes.

Attached Files:

14. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

OK. Mystery solved. I couldn't crawl under it, as there is four inches of ice in my driveway. But I did stick my hand thru the wheel well and felt what seems to be the lower panel bolts. Someone must have welded the seam up and skimed it with bondo. The right side shows some cracking where the seam should be.
    Thanks to all for your help.

15. That is the correct bed for a '51 or '52. The 48-50 bed has raised panels in the sides, similar to early pu's...My old '51 had a '48 or '49 bed on it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  16. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

It looks to me like your truck might be an F-2 or 3...... maybe the bed was shortened or something.....
    is the front 8-lug? it looked to me like the front fender wheel opening are larger that an F-1...

17. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

The front tires are 5:60-15's. They were on the front of my AV8. It's a F1 alright. Just an optical illusion. I put the roadster wheels on, because the wheels that were on there when it arrived, looked aweful. My wheels made it look a little better. Damn little.

18. 52lomofo

52lomofo

yes that the right bed:)same as my 52 mercury but not the same as my dads 50 mercury pickup:)

19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Ford changed the F-1 bed to flat side in mid 1950. Before that they had a raised panel. They didn't change the 8' box, or Express Box, on the F-2-F-3, they had raised sides through 1952.

20. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

The 1948 - 50 Ford truck had raised panels on the bedsides. The 51-52 had smooth bedsides. The bedsides on the 51-52 look simular to the 53-up. The difference is the bolt holes for the fenders. The 51-52 hole go close to the rear of the bed just in front of the rear pockets on the six foot bed. The 53 - up have some space between the rear pocket and the bolt holes.

Also the pocket on the 48-50 are curved and the 51-52 are straight.

The bed on your truck looks like 51-52

21. Paul, you did a great job on that faux patina paint job!.................

22. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Ford used basically the same PU box from about 1942 up until mid 1950 for the F-1, in mid 1950 they switched to the flat side box, the rear fenders also change to accommodate the flat side. The fenders on the previous box had a set in the flange to line up with the raised side. The '51-52 is different than the '53 up to the late '70s. The fenders did change location somewhere in that time but the box stayed the same. There may be some minor changes but nothing that drastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Thanks you for the lessons on F1-F3 pickup boxes. I surely learned a lot from this post. I'm happy to find out, I have the correct box for the year of my truck. Now I just need to get some nicer weather, so I can start taking it apart.
    Paul

24. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Tom, but I think mother nature did the real work. Hopefully, I'll have her back dressed in her original vermilion red. Maybe with some flattener added to accelerate the aging process.