Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this engine hot rod material?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, Dec 26, 2014.

1. actually he could use the flywheel & pressureplate. The hole in the center of the clutch disk is larger diameter than a car. unless you use the big block large inpuit top loader 4 speed. and the truck flywheel will have a 11 inch clutch. you can install a truck flywheel in any car bell housing. and the 223 and 262 flywheels will interchange with the Y block.

2. 347" Y-block-4spd. The 312" block came out of the Barracuda boat I had.
    boat as found.jpg

watch the video

3. 55willys

55willys

I have had a couple in trucks they worked for me. A friend has a channeled A roadster that has a 312 in it and he autocrosses it regularly.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The oil passage between the block and head is a bottleneck in the oiling system. One solution, at rebuild time, is to take a small grinder and "port match" the passages to match the head gasket. They often don't line up perfectly.

Another is to be meticulous about oil and filter changes, or use a Frantz or Stilko filter for perfectly clean oil.

5. BradinNC and 32Tudor396 like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The Wiki Y block page says it's off by an inch! I guess that would do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Y-block_engine

7. This engine has a ton of nostalgia. In order to get all of the nostalgia in the engine is very heavy. It is also wide for the same reason. They were so busy putting nostalgia in that they didn't spend much time making it efficient. Since it is not a current high production engine parts are expensive. In summary, nostalgia yes, but heavy, wide, inefficient, and expensive.

Old wolf likes this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Tim McMaster has solved the oil to the heads and rockers issue.
    He has a modification that he does to the rockers to pressurize them and there is no longer a problem.
    It's one of the things he did when building my engine.

And here's how he does it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you want to hear how sweet a Y Block can sound, here is the run in video Tim McMaster did for the 309 Y Block he built for me.
    He describes some of the engine specs.
    Turn the sound up and enjoy :cool: :)
    Larry

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Well I am sure that it has already been identified as a y block, given that it is in the truck and it is a later truck I am going to fathom a guess that it is a 292.

As far as hot rod fodder yes they make good hot rod motors. They don't look bad and they pull plenty strong.

11. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

I was thinking about running a 292 in my 59 f100 but now I don't know.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Run it.

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

All that and about 14 mpg tops......

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Is this engine hot rod material?

If a Y block is not hot rod material, we here on the HAMB might as well talk about "tuning" Hondas.

15. Ok and what effect does that engineering marvel of an exhaust that has the crossover and exits out the front and then through the passenger side exhaust to exit in a single exhaust. I see from the Pictures the engine,s exhaust system has been modified and it now has a front exit in the drivers side?

16. They Roamed the streets for only one year 1954 in 19 55 the 265 chevy was present. and the 54 engine only had 239 cubes or 254 cubes. Ive got one of the 254 engines it came out of a truck. I also have a 272 bare block that has a fresh rebore to 292. a 56 292 that is bored .o40 it has a warped deck.a 61-292 truck engine with a steel crank and a burnt piston. another complete engine that I don't know anything about other than its a 2 bbl and had a stick flywheel & bellhousing. A pile of exhaust manifolds. lots of cyl heads, Several intakes two of them are the desirable large flange holley 4 bbl versions. one has the 3 bolt flange 2 bbl that looks like a flathead carb it likely came off a 239. Ive been selling parts And parting junking vehicles for 50 years and hardly ever sell any Y block parts. there isn't any demand for them in my part of the world. Ive had two different HAMB members drive all the way from California to buy engines from me one bought a V12 flathead and the Other a Flathead 6. I can sell every small block chevy or small block ford and the big block fords & chevys also.

17. It would be pretty easy to install twin turbo,s with that exhaust! It made me laugh because with the amount of blow by most Y blocks have being normally aspirated. Can you imagine how much compression gases would be forced into the crankcase if you turbo charged it. It would force oil out the rear main in a flood. It would make a Detroit diesel look like it didn't leak a drop in comparison. It would be dangerious a crankcase filled with pressurized blow by get a spark and it would explode like a bomb.

18. I haven't seen many huffed Y blocks in my time, there was a blower option on '57 but I have only seen about two of those, one was in a cop car. I have yet to see a turbo charged Y block, and on the strip when I was young I may have seen half a dozen roots blown engines.

The only way to build one blown would be with gapless rings and a vac pump, even at low boost. They do have a stout lower end, the pan rails being below the crank center helps that a bunch.

Someone mentioned 14 MPG, I had a 272 in an OD car that made between 16 and 18 on the highway, when it was tuned properly. I wouldn't expect more then about 12-14 from a souped engine though and the 312 that I raced made about 8 before the car became a dedicated race car.

Y block Fords and Lincolns like the 383-430 MEL have gone the way of the dinosaur. I will always have a soft spot for them and if I was after having the most trad rod I could lay my hands on I would be after owning one, any or all of them would be considered trad for me.

19. I knew about the factory supercharged 312,s. Ive never seen one other than pictures. A Y block built like you suggested with the gapless rings and turbo charged or supercharged. Would make tremendious power. The forced induction would indeed negate many of the flow problems with the design flaws. Kinda OT The original 671 GMC Detroit diesels where supercharged two valve engines with roller cams & roller rockers. That was upgraded to four valves per cyl. And you drove them like you where trying to tear them up. flat on the floor up against the governor. You changed speed as much with the shift pole as the foot pedal. Then the factory added a turbo ahead of the supercharger and bigger fuel injectors and changed the cam timing. And they flew apart the rods went out the sides of the block. then they built the 6V 92,s & 8V92,s.

20. Old Wolf,
    I lived in a spur town in SE Kansas in the mid '70s, the town marshal (yep he was really called that) had a '57 Sedan with the super charged 312 under the hood. He chased down a B-Ville (421 SD) out on the highway with it one day. That old Ford would shit 'n' git.

The only other one I ever saw was a '57 Fairlane HDTP at a show in KS in the late '90s. Don't know how it ran, they trailered it in then just cruised it to its parking spot. The joke about it is that it was supposed to be a T Bird option and I have never ever seen one in a T bird.

When I was tracing my '55 Vic back in the late '60s/early '70s there was a '54 running a 4-61 blown 292 in BG class at the track I raced at. Very competitive as I recall.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will take delivery of all unwanted, running Y-Blocks.

22. Hey wait a minute, I got dibs on something, 312s or the Lincoln offerings?

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can have the Lincolns. We'll split the 312's.

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is relativ, not to be a nit picker.
    But there will always be an overlap. Some die hard 4banger raced fare in the SBC Era, but wasent the norm.

And so was it with the any other engine, and the engines first became avalible to most Rodders, when the car was junked/crashed/become cheap enough. And there will be no specific timeframe to track down.

And there is some people that still have'nt given up on there Y block!

And to the OP, how fare is that mill from the truck by now? And in how many parts? :D

25. OK then, in the timeless words of Hank Hill, "I'm down with that." :D

26. It musta been a 4-71. Each of the cyls where 71 cubes. they made a two three four and six cyl version of that engine the 671 was 426 cu in. Two cycle had exhaust valves and intake ports in the side of the sleeves. they also made a 2-53 and a 4-53.

27. Phttttt typo sorry, yes 4-71. I'll leave it as is so as not to cause much more confusion.

28. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lft eng.JPG
    No, no hot rod material at all!
    I´m not an all out Ford fan, but I really love the looks of a Y block in a hoodless car...clean little engine... most of the later Ford engines look a lot more clusterfucked, maybe they are better, but I like the clean looks. And you can´t beat the sound which ist unique to flatheads and y -blocks. Go for it!

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. That is one sweet lookin' Yblock.
    I ran 3 Strombergs on Weiand on my first 312, eventually I switched to 2 4s but the look of trips on an open motor is just sweet, and no one will ever make rocker covers that look better then the Thunder Hawk covers.

volvobrynk and Baumi like this.
  30. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I always loved the heavy sound of the Y block starter engaging. And for a description of engine running sound, I would say "potato, potato" kinda like 4 Harleys.