Register now to get rid of these ads!

is this a bad idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcgyver, Oct 26, 2010.

1. I have been kicking an idea around for awhile now and want to see what you all think. i have contemplated swapping the frame on my brother's 1940 chevy pickup. He and his wife want a nice driver that is capable of being used a pickup, they have a good sized enclosed and i want it to have enough brakes and suspension to handle it nicely. OK, with that said , i am thinking of the benefits of a later model 1/2 ton chevy, lots of parts, drive nice, better brakes and suspension, but of course they are too wide.

Here's my idea: why can't I just cut the proper amount out of the middle of the frame and weld it back together? There are many other issues with a frame swap, but this is the one i am not sure about. One issue is the center link on the steering. right now this is the only part that i can think of that i woudl modify that may wear and need replaced in years to come.

jason

2. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

I'd rather have an S-10 frame than a narrowed fullsize... Would be alot easier also

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

me too !!

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Mcgyver shouldn't have to ask....

5. i have considered the s10, but they just don't have the same capacity as the 1/2 ton pickups, also if i recall, the steering box is on the inside of the frame on an s10, makes it harder to work around for the grille shell, on a full size, the box is on the outside. mainly my thoughts are that they are just stronger. but i wasn't trying to debate which frame to use, but if narrowing one was a viable option.

6. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Did you consider the possibility of going with a rack & pinion steering setup? You should be able to get one made to fit whatever width you'd need, and it would alleviate any potential problems with the steering box/frame rails sticking out too far up front that you see on a lot of trucks like that which use late model front clips.

7. bonebroke

bonebroke
    from WI.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

In my opinion, you'd be screwing up a perfectly good old truck.

9. big bad john

big bad john

.......I agree with Ryan........

10. joel torres

joel torres

i wouldn't do it if the truck is complete and not rotten away like my car was that's the main reason i did my swap figured if i had to do all those repairs i might as well have fun and go all out
    but if the truck is complete there must be some stuff you can bolt on to modernize it
    new brakes, wiring harness, better rearend, a chassis swap is not easy i should know
    but if you did go that route you have to figure every angle of the build before you start body mount positions, motor ,wheels, offset if one is screwed up it effect everything

11. Another one here for dont' fuck up a good thing. A disk brake swap on the stock axle with a rebuilt front end will do wonders. Change out the rear end for one with better gears. BAM, instant awesomeness.

12. Cruiser

Cruiser

The HAMBers have it right don't fuck it up, just up date the the parts. Good luck.

CRUISER :cool:

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Trucks are cheap, find one that needs a frame swap and go to town. I'd drop an old 2 ton on a newer one ton frame if I wanted to pull a big ass trailer. Get a rollover for $5k and save the hassle of trying to make a little (they are small) old truck do a big truck's job. .02
    mileage may vary.

14. I can't imagine that truck looking any kind of good with mirrors wide enough to see down the sides of a "good sized enclosed". These truck cabs are realy narrow and they only weigh 3000 lbs stock, you might be to light to tow that also.

15. chevyshack

chevyshack

If your so consurned about the S-10 frame being too weak what makes you think a frame thats been cut in half then re-welded going to be any better? If you go that route make it worth the hassle and find a 2000 or newer truck. Atleast then you have newer suspension, bigger brakes, and a beefier frame. You can find one thats been rolled over and totaled out by an insurance company. If you have the cash try an Art Morrison chassis. Its a direct swap with updated everything.

16. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I've driven a few straight axle vehicles and they don't seem to handle too bad.Ford and Dodge still use straight axles on their 3/4 and up 4x4 trucks and no one seems to be complaining about how those things handle. An anti-sway bar works wonders. I'd put one on the back axle and the front axle. Update the brakes. Maybe add some power steering as well. Could swap in a sbc for a little more juice. I think that combo would work pretty well but those old trucks just weren't built to haul a lot of weight very fast. Understand it's limitations and enjoy it for what it is. Narrowing the half ton frame will make the whole ball of wax less capable than a stock half ton Chevy. Width makes things more stable towing especially at speed.

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

You asked ,yes its a bad idea,even if you put the 40 body on a shortened half-ton frame all you have done is screwed 2 trucks up and you still can"t pull the trailer,Tell them to buy a truck to pull the trailer and restore the 40.This is one of the easiest questions asked in along time.