Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is this 54 merc worth it

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by timmy2times, Aug 10, 2016.

1. I seen this 54 merc on craigs list. It has no front end and needs it all replaced. Will a regular 54 ford front fit are the parts hard to find? What do you folks think 1470876190636.jpg 1470876195162.jpg 1470876202488.jpg 1470876206629.jpg 1470876212848.jpg 1470876225327.jpg 1470876232007.jpg

Sent from my LGMS330 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mgtstumpy likes this.
  2. It's worth something. What kind of job did they do with the Packard taillight thing?

3. After looking at the ad, he says taillights "need work". That could be scary. Also, no title makes it a pass at $1500 in my opinion.

4. Slopok

Slopok

Glass roof is rather rare.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I have front fenders for that.

6. Thats what i was thinking if i start at 1500 i have a couple small block cevys and a 454 layin in the garage and a 700r4 i dont think it would take me long to get her going mechanically but i was wondering if finding the front end set up would cost more than its all worth

7. Why would tail lights be scary shady wiring? Wavy body work?

8. Squablow

Squablow

The place they get rusty is the inner rockers and body mounts that connect to the inner rockers. If those are good, this thing is golden.

$1500 seems like a bargain, the glass top is worth that, and the Packard tail lights are a big bonus. Yes, you can bolt a '54 Ford front clip (sheetmetal) to this car although it has to be 54 due to the changeover in front suspension, and the Mercury hood won't fit the Ford fenders, but if you get the whole thing, it'll work.

If you've got the space for this, it would make a hell of a cool custom car. Maybe you find a rough '54 Ford or Mercury parts car donor, and the title and tag from it magically appear on this body, along with the front clip.

I have a 400 Chevy in my '52 Ford, a little boring but they fit in there nice and they're tried-and-true.

OahuEli and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. Torchie

Torchie

Agree with Squablow.
    If the lack of title doesn't bother you it seem to me to be worth it.
    The glass roof makes it unique. The body work around the tail lights looks fine in the pics but sometime that is hard to judge.
    When some one says it "Needs work" that could and usually means any number of different things. Go with the OG Merc front sheet metal. Looks like it still has a hood.. Shouldn't matter if the front fenders are from a 2 door or a 4 door.
    In my neck of the woods that car would 2 plus times that asking price. And most likely be a rot bucket.
    JMHO.....
    Torchie.

OahuEli likes this.
  10. Its really tempting im thinking about going to look at it. I do know where a 54 2 door is and a 4 door are but they are doing the sittin in a field thing ive filed for regestration before it isnt to bad i think the car has potential

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Only 1,787 '54 Mercury Sun Valleys were made, very rare.
    Current price guide values:
    1. $60,000
    2. $42,000
    3. $27,000
    4. $12,000
    5. $ 7,200
    6. $ 2,400

12. williebill

williebill

Great custom start. Go take a good look.

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I sent you a PM,actually an EZ swap is a 5.0 Ford and AOD you can drop it right in using stock over the counter parts and even Hedman 88400 headers go in with no mods it's whats in my Avatar.

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I would pull the trigger, those tail lamps are gold even if you put stock rear fenders back on. The front end treatment would need to something to compliment those tail lamps if they stayed!

15. I think my wifes going to be mad this week end. So will only 54 front ends will work cant modify a 53 or 55 to work. Im not good at metal work myself ut my adopted uncle is. Plus im on a shoe string budget with the oilfields being slow. So if i have to make something it isnt a bad thing i just wont be throwing lots of cash into it.

16. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

And it's a stick car too!!! Back here in PA. that would be a very desirable car.

17. afaulk

afaulk

Go figure.........I'd have bought it so fast the previous owner would know it was too cheap.

18. Squablow

Squablow

The sheetmetal from a 52-54 Ford or Mercury will mate up to the body perfectly, but the wheelbase is just slightly different on a '54 (probably not noticeable) and the mounting points for the sheetmetal are different as well (you could definitely make it work, but it won't bolt up). So '54 parts would make it the easiest but in a pinch, 52-53 pieces would work.

'55 Ford and Mercury were a complete redesign and would take massive amounts of work to fit up to the car, like major sheetmetal surgery.

19. Well, here's my suggestion: Use original 54' Merc front end pieces, get rid of those Packard tail lights (way overused )and replace them with the original 54' Merc tail lights. Nosed, decked, lowered a couple inches and a nice dark color. Maybe maroon. Keep it a Y block, they have such a sweet sound with a pair of glass packs. To me less is better.

20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

an sbf or an fe is a pretty easy swap...

21. Which made it a Sun Valley as a Mercury. Join the '52-59 Ford sub forum or The Ford Barn, these guys know what fits what best.

timmy2times likes this.
  22. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I wish I was in CA. That would have been in my driveway already.

OahuEli likes this.
  23. Keep us updated if you buy it!Bruce.

24. redo32

redo32

I've got a '53 Merc hardtop if you need a good parts car.

25. Im waiting for the weekend to go check it out i think if it isnt rusted in the areas stated above shes going to be mine. If its still there.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

I love the tail lights. Mercurys must have been low production, I rarely find one

27. Needs work? why would anyone even have the need to say that. If the work, or money is a factor in a project like this, you don't want to even think of getting it. But if your in love with it, {AS I AM} by all means grab it up before its gone! And if your worried of its value in $$$ don't buy it. Its real value is in the building and enjoying her. You will always have more money in it, than you can get back. But you cant put a price on true LOVE. Ron...

28. Word

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

If you just get it, and get a title, you can move that for more money without ever taking it off the trailer.
    That should make the wife happy. Might not get an apology though.
    I'd get it.

30. Having dealt with California DMV for close to 60 years, and having seen how things get worse every year, I have pretty much given up on buying cars with no title. Even in the best case scenario, it's going to be costly. More power to you if you have the patience and tenacity to deal with that issue. Good luck with the project.