Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is There Such Thing as Generic Stainless Trim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, May 17, 2010.

  1. 4woody
    Joined: Sep 4, 2002
    Posts: 2,103


    I'm wanting to add some trim to my skirts. It would need to be about 3/4" wide x 30" long with a "Half-oval" cross section. Other similar stuff on my cars is stainless channel so you slide the fasteners into position on the back.

    Is there anyplace to just get lengths of the stainless channel?
  2. 4woody
    Joined: Sep 4, 2002
    Posts: 2,103


    I found a place that sells solid half-oval in brass or steel, but I'd still have to solder pins on the back and then get it chromed.

    Stainless channel??
  3. Phil1934
    Joined: Jun 24, 2001
    Posts: 2,717


    Last edited: May 17, 2010

  4. alchemy
    Joined: Sep 27, 2002
    Posts: 17,077


    Look at Bob Drake's repro stainless molding for a '39 Ford. Maybe you could use a hood side molding? It has almost a half round profile, maybe slightly peaked.
  5. atomickustom
    Joined: Aug 30, 2005
    Posts: 3,408


  6. revkev6
    Joined: Jun 13, 2006
    Posts: 3,351

    from ma

    yeah, except a 3' piece will cost you $50 :eek:

    $10 a ft and $10 per finished end....
  7. Look at the hood side trim on a 48-50 F-1.
  8. 4woody
    Joined: Sep 4, 2002
    Posts: 2,103


    Those are some good suggestions- Thanks.
  9. 40StudeDude
    Joined: Sep 19, 2002
    Posts: 9,462


    Cheap at half the price...By the time you find some that will work for you, have it polished ($12.00 per foot is the cheapest I've found) and get it trimmed to whatever length you need ($$$-welding stainless ain't cheap) and finding clips for it...buying it ready made is the way...!!! I have a small fortune wrapped up in my '55 Caddy...

  10. 50Fraud
    Joined: May 6, 2001
    Posts: 9,885


    I remember seeing an ad for lengths of stainless half-round for use as side trim. Might have been in the Goodguys Gazette, and it might have been Mr. Merritt as noted above. In any case, I can't seem to find the ad I saw. Anybody aware of any other source, particularly for material < 1/2" wide?
  11. Biff.bailey
    Joined: Aug 10, 2010
    Posts: 4


    volvo amazon (121) side trim is around 3/4" wide, slightly peaked and available in fairly long, straight lengths (3 to 4 feet)
  12. BulldawgMusclecars
    Joined: Jul 15, 2010
    Posts: 508


    I'd head to a good automotive swap meet...there are often guys with tons of vintage stainless trim, often of unknown origin, and you may be able to find an odd piece that is exactly what you are looking for.
  13. Fidget
    Joined: Sep 10, 2004
    Posts: 1,011


    EXACTLY!! Expensive as hell as I've found out, my NOS cruiser skirts didn't have any trim with them. They're 5' long, and finding any trim is either really really really expensive, or plastic stick on stuff. Finding it ready made would be a steal!
  14. OshkoshRob
    Joined: Jun 16, 2008
    Posts: 388

    from Oshkosh

    48 Ford sedan trim would be good. 1/2 round at least an inch wide. Easy to find and relatively cheap. I bought a rear quarter piece for $25 at BTT50's
  15. I have some NOS cruiser skirt trim:)
  16. I need some of this help too. I'm looking to recreate some factory style rear fender vertical accent trim pieces. The attached pic shows a bit of quarter panel, bit of left running board and front of the left rear fender of a white '34. My problem is this trim is only 3/8" wide. What I'm finding is suppliers that start at 1/2" wide or 3/4" wide and I definitely need 3/8". It is half round or slightly lower crown than half round. I'll figure out attachment if I can just find the 3/8" stainless or brass trim. Thanks!

    Attached Files:

  17. unkamort
    Joined: Sep 8, 2006
    Posts: 1,014


    Using this for my grill center strip till something better comes along... looks OK, didn't really take much of a polish.
  18. Joel W
    Joined: Jan 4, 2010
    Posts: 136

    Joel W

    Your local Mack Truck dealer may have some too, I know my dad and a friend have gotten stainless pieces from them. They were used on some models down the center of the hood. You can buy the ends and straight lengths. I think they were used on B Series trucks.
  19. sir
    Joined: Oct 8, 2005
    Posts: 467


    try 60/66 c-10 lwb bed trim.....

    Attached Files:

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.