Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such a thing as a USA-made aluminum floor jack?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzbum, Dec 26, 2012.

1. jazzbum

jazzbum

I work on a lot of different stuff in a lot of different places, and I could sure use a lighter weight floor jack to tote around. I'd like to get a 2-3 ton aluminum jack, but I don't want something made in the third world that's a symbol of what's wrong with modern business ethics and that I'll have to replace in a year if it doesn't fail and kill me. I can't find anything that fits that description. Mac, Snap-on, Craftsman, NAPA, etc., everything's in China or Taiwan.

Are there any made in America aluminum jacks, or aluminum jacks made to first-world standards?

2. lawman

lawman

Now, That is a good question !!!!!

3. Crewline was made in the USA as of '05. I don't know about today but it is worth looking into. maybe the company has a web site. I got mine at Sam's Club.

4. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Nesco Tools 2203 Aluminum Low Profile Floor Jack</KW> - 3 Ton. This is touted as USA made. About $300.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

5. Ha my crewline was mismarked and we snagged it before anyone noticed, you don't want to know how little we gave for it. :D

Suffice to say that one of the fellas went down there the next day and they had added a zero to the number.

6. jazzbum

jazzbum

Thanks, Pork and Wingman, I'll check those out. Here's hoping.

Anybody else?

7. dad-bud

dad-bud

Yeah, quite a few, except they all come from China.
    Haha

8. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I wonder who makes the custom low profile one pump jacks that the NASCAR and roundy round guys use. I think it was a driver from the North East US that developed that style of jack. Willing to be they are US made. Anybody confirm?

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

10. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

These are a very nice USA made aluminum jack, Check out Brunnhoelzl racing jacks. Nice and light but not cheap.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. Rob68

Rob68

Found an interesting "history" on floor jacks. Lists some American made stuff. Didn't see anything regarding aluminum jacks but an interesting read. Maybe this will help some.

12. Rob68

Rob68

Forgot the link (sorry)

http://www.hyjacks.com/H2.HTM

13. jazzbum

jazzbum

Dick: damn, those are pretty, but unfortunately way out of my price range.

Offset, I would love to know the same thing, although I doubt I could afford those either.

14. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

I broke two $400 craftsman ones over the last two years, scary I now have a jack that is super awesome but was pricey its made in Denmark. I forgot the name but I bought it used at a dealer auction.

15. 55Thunderboy

55Thunderboy
    from NYC

16. jazzbum

jazzbum

17. jazzbum

jazzbum

thanks 31, i'd be all over those if they weren't quite so pricey. they're right in my neighborhood.

18. so you want a cheap price AND made in the USA?

19. LZ

LZ

Jazz:
    From a talk about this a bit ago I seem to remember that theses guys were the last American ones left.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.milwaukeejack.com/index.html
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]FWIW Back in my long ago days . A Bottle, scissors, bumper, jack, ramps were the norm. A floor jack was a luxury and not afforded into the family till about 1975 + or -. We bought a 2 ton Heiny and it was about 250 ish on special. Still have it today. It has been dragged through snow, mud, dropped off back of truck , etc. and has never leaked a drop or given any issues. Seriously just a squirt of grease now and then. Now I have had 3 different HF and wholesale club jacks to use as keep on trailer or site jacks the last dozen years. They all lasted a few years (maybe) and all leaked or stopped working. And are off to scrap.
    We live in this world now where you have to have everything. Back in the day stuff was costly. Everyone had something different and we shared stuff. Actually was fun and I saw my friends more.
    Our company just sent some real nice floor jacks back for disposition (govt owned) check the gov surplus bid sites. Craigslist. Garage-Shop auctions.
    Anyway sorry for rant. Good luck and let us know what you get.
    Happy new year
    Luke
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

20. On the hyjacks site there is MUCH info !!!!
    One little snippet from there - two competitors , former USA jack manufacturers who both started outsourcing and importing finally agreed that a china import jack would be good for 10 lift cycles before it sprung an internal leak.

Now guess what ? Up and down on stands is one cycle, up off the stands and down to the ground is one cycle. You'll use 4 cycles for one up&down of a whole car !! You can do that 2-1/2 times then buy a new jack. Nice huh ?????

Now you want aluminum, I guess you pick it up often ?
    Here's a cool one to search for .

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95879

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  21. lawman

lawman

Boy, Those are some "Deep Pocket" jack's !!!!! I do have a NORCO I bought
    about 40 years ago and just had to rebuild it last year.

22. jazzbum

jazzbum

Thanks boys. I guess I should have specified but ideally, yeah, I'd like a jack at or under, say, $400. I know you get what you pay for, and I'm certainly willing to pay more than they're charging for basically all the aluminum stuff I've found, but I'm not going to pay $750-$1200 for a jack that isn't any lighter than the one I've got--yes, I do hoist it quite a bit to load it into/take it out of a pickup, so that matters to me.

The hy-jacks page has a lot of good info but, unless I'm missing something, it basically just dismisses any aluminum jacks that cost less than $500. Again, you get what you pay for, I get that, but I just plain don't have that kind of money.

I guess maybe I'm asking too much at this point in history.

23. jazzbum

jazzbum

If hyjacks is to be believed, the Norco stuff, while made in China, is still manufactured to pretty exacting standards and a high level of quality. I think (I'm not sure, but I've read a couple of things that indicate) Norco owns the brand OTC, which makes aluminum jacks...anybody have any experience with OTC jacks? How about AFF-American Forge and Foundry?

24. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

I bought a OTC, I was looking for cheaper alternative to the high price pro racing
    Jack. It works great so far (2 years now). Quality cost from US or china, the iPhone is made in china and it costs and is high quality. OTC was the best of the
    Imports I could fine.

25. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Check and see what the NASCAR guys use

26. jazzbum

jazzbum

OTC's a frontrunner for sure.

I'm pretty sure the NASCAR type stuff is over my head price-wise, unfortunately. I think those guys use Brunnhoelzl, and that stuff starts at about $750.

Anybody else have an OTC? How about an AFF?

27. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

To be fair, if all jacks made in USA are over $750, most people will buy the Chinese ones under $300.
    Ill keep searching for ya Matt! Good times at big boy last night!

28. jazzbum

jazzbum

It's the truth. I guess I'm pretty much down to trying to find the least shitty Chinese-made one.

Good times indeed, buddy! Hopefully the weather dries out a little bit soon so I can get that plaque in some color...

29. George Brunnhoelzl still makes them and they're pricey. Not sure if he still has the shop in Lindenhurst, I'm out of racing for a while.

http://pitstopusa.com/b-4608-133455-brunnhoelzl-racing.html

Bob