Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such a thing as a cool Desoto?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papajohn, Nov 14, 2011.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

BTW, that looks to my eye to be a '57 330-C FirePower there!

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Dean Martin was one of several celebrity owners of the early FVs.
    Pic thanks to WoodyBoater.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Ava Gardner and one of her THREE Facels, thanks to Tommi! Just
    a few of the other luminaries in entertainment who owned early Facels
    were Tony Curtis, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Danny Kaye, Joan
    Fontaine, Fred Astaire, Ringo Starr, artist Pablo Picasso and racer
    Stirling Moss.:cool:

These Franco-Yankee hybrids were also owned by wealthy folk in
    business, industry, government and, yes, a few Middle Eastern princes
    with spare petro-bucks!:D

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Talk about a shoe-horn job.:p Here's a '57 FV4 with a big FirePower Hemi snug in its tight bay!
    This was the year Facel switched from DeS to the even bigger Chrysler, SO this pic is only for
    the sake of illustrating the challenge of stuffing any MoPar Hemi into a Euro auto! :D LOL. Facel
    was said to have offered the letter-series 300 engines, and dual fours seem to support that.;)

[​IMG]

A real Anglo-French factory hotrod! :cool: Photo thanks to eBizAutos.

5. Yeah, but none of 'em that I've seen have been early fifties four doors.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Your comment is very FAIR, bro! As mentioned, the series from '49-'54 are my least favorite of the breed. These are the (IMO) dowdy librarians' cars dictated by then-leader KT Keller. He valued ENGINEERING above style, and DeSotos certainly were both reliable AND comfortable. He also put a lot of effort into making dough from government and industrial contracts (meaning NON-automotive, you know?)

But clean, good-running originals can be slammed, rebooted, repainted and become good Saturday-night cruisers.

That said, it took Keller retiring and a change of the guard to turn DeSotos into SNAZZY cars, which they were indeed from '55 through '59.

7. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Can't believe I just found this thread.
    Yes there are some cool Desotos
    Here are mine.
    [​IMG]
    My 1956 Desoto UTE imported from Australia. As it was stated before in the thread it has a 54 Plymouth sedan body platform with a convertible X frame for rigidity and the rear roof section and window are 46-48 Plymouth. All of the custom bed work was done by the factory. The grille is also export specific.
    [​IMG]
    And I own one of these 1958 Desoto Firemite cars with a Briggs 6B motor that were used in dealership promotions.

Attached Files:

8. That said, it took Keller retiring and a change of the guard to turn DeSotos into SNAZZY cars, which they were indeed from '55 through '59._____________________________________ I concur, and in the 60's and 70's some of most domineering on the drag strip!

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for the input, WillBe. Since we had THREE Hemi DeSotos in our family -- plowing up a couple of hundred thousand miles -- I felt it was just a bit SAD that they became an inside secret :confused: in other apps.

Guys pulled DeS Hemis from now-CHEAP, unwanted, CANCELLED cars and stuck 'em into local drag cars, boats, circle-track cars, etc. -- USUALLY MINUS those sparkplug covers.:mad: THAT way, nobody would know that you were running a lowly DeSoto engine!

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Welcome, RoadKill! The gauntlet has been thrown. :cool: WillBe rightly noted that -- despite
    the header -- the original poster was particularly asking to see COOL FOUR-DOORS.:D SO,
    though I'm going to continue posting cool models, years and bodies from the '20, through
    the '50s ('59 is my cutoff), I do believe we can show plenty of moredor DeSotos with great
    cruise and custom potential, eh?
    :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our own RoadKillontheWeb alerted everybody in '07 about the estate auction of probably
    THE most complete DeSoto collection ever :eek: with his thread, "Major Desoto collection for sale
    this summer in Iowa." The above '49 woody was one of the cream puffs auctioned! And
    what HAMBer doesn't drool for woody wagons??? :p

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

And a '50 DeS DeLuxe woody with original rack at the '08 Hershey Fall Meet, thanks
    to TipTopWebsite.

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    '57 Fireflite Explorer wagon, thanks to TipTopWebsite. Sumbitch is LOOOONNNGG!:eek:

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Here's one DIFFERENT DeSoto 4-door, the 1950 Carry-All.:) Introduced specifically
    to compete with Kaiser-Frazer's Traveler and Vagabond utility sedans. ;) Imagine
    taking the family to a car show in this rare beast! With less than 4,000 built, it
    would stand out.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's another detail shot thanks to Richard of the FlickR community.

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

'55 Fireflite special spring option package, the tri-tone:cool: 4DS
    Coronado was only offered in limited numbers '54 and '55
    and is highly prized today. Pic thanks to HowStuffWorks.

[​IMG]
    Rear quarter thanks to AllPar.

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Another clean Coronado:), photo thanks to Farm3 on FlickR.

16. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Cool? Maybe not. But certainly different. 56 wagon, was my dads a while back.

Later,Bill
    [​IMG]

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yup, they ARE cool, and that one looks to be in decent shape for an eventual return to the asphalt, bro. I have pix. Lemme go find 'em!

18. Those early hemis, although not big in cu ins, powered many early dragsters, gassers and altereds to the marker first and still are neat as hell in street rod/hot rod!

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

All this and wires too? :cool: Super-rare '56 Firedome wagon with original rack and 230-hp Hemi;), thanks
    to GoodGuys. Myself, I have never seen a '55 or '56 DeS wagon near this condition.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Under the hood, there are pluses and minuses.:rolleyes: The motor is definitely a 330 two-barrel DeS Hemi.:cool:
    But, someone took liberties with color on the wire covers. And the firewall is way off.:p Maybe,
    someone put modern AC on this, replacing the original, complicated unit.:confused:

20. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, WillBe. Sure, the Whales were far out-stripped by the later Elephants. BUT, when the Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge Hemis came out;), they were the product of compromise and trade-offs IN ORDER to make the Hemi tame enough for passenger-car use. After all, that was the necessary market niche for MoPar to move units and make dough.

Chrysler Corp. engineers had done thousands of hours of research and trials during the war on various engine configs utilizing hemispherical combustion chambers. One experiment involved an INVERTED Hemi that churned, as I recall, some 2,000 ponies :eek: and was successfully implanted into an experimental P-47 Thunderbolt. Naturally, those wartime Hemis had radical aviation camming. SO, milder cams lobes, plus low compression to run on regular pump gas, were a couple of automatic trade-offs for auto app. It was up to hotrodders and racers to bring out the full performance potential of the early Whales.:cool:

That said, the '51 FirePower (preceding the DeS Firedome by a year) was 331-CID. Note! These cranked 10 percent more power than the identical displacement Caddy 331, which was a more conventional OHV mill.:rolleyes:

Moreover, it didn't take long for performance-minded guys to realize that the lightest Chrysler, Saratoga :) two-door with the Firepower was more than a match for the Olds Rocket 88. The Chrysler factory 'rod, though, was more dough than the Olds.:rolleyes:

The Hemi story is a fascinating one. I could read and listen to guys all day and night on the subject. God bless the HAMB!

21. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

:cool:Yah Thats Sweet!!! Of course DeSotos are Kool!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    :cool:

"MoPar Or No Kar"

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, FinMan! I think you and I are just a little bit, uh, PREJUDICED! LOL

23. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Man, that firewall cover held on with self tapping screws looks bad! Why would you cover the stock firewall in the firstplace? It looks like it still has the heater hooked up, so no massive hole from the blower motor to try and cover up... It just doesn't make sense to me. Even if they did it just for looks why not cover the whole firewall, and not just a few parts of it?

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yeah, on an otherwise well-done car, that is pretty lame. I'd keep the hood closed.:rolleyes:

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    Before people started robbing DeSotos of their teeth for Merc customs;), those grilles looked damned good in, well . . . DeSotos!:D

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

In a DeSoto kind o' way:rolleyes:, they were headed in a better direction
    as the '50 -- shown here with a Kaiser-like, bulbous nose -- began to
    transition toward the first of the "toothy" DeS grilles ('51 in next post).
    And the humpy hood also started to morph into a more pancake style:).
    Not a complete solution, but at least it was a step away from the con-
    servative Mr-C, librarian and pastor's styling toward something with
    a tad more flair.:eek:

As sales got sodden after the post-war boom ended, Chrysler had to
    borrow in order to turn things around, Old Man Keller got put to pasture,
    and Exner's "Forward Look" debuted for '55:cool:. I suppose, sometimes,
    the dominoes just have to fall in a usual and predictable order, eh?

[​IMG]

'50 DeS Custom 4-D-S, thanks to BarnsOwl at CarPictures.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

'51 DeS DeLuxe 4DS, thanks to FlickR. With that visor, wide-whites and that grille, I reckon
    this four-door DeS would grab attention at lots of venues, even though it's dead stock.;)

28. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Chris Binder was a car buddy of mine that owned that amazing collection =f Desoto's from Spenser IA. My favorite 4 door in the collection had to be the 58 ambulance. I found it in Kamrar IA but could not afford it so I told Chris about it.

It was a shame to break up the collection but it was also a shame to have them all locked up in the barns were very few people could see them. Chris was very secretive about his collection and only listed the 38 cabriolet in the Desoto club roster. Here are some of the more doors from his collection, but the collection had a lot of coupes and convertibles also.

Attached Files:

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

PBase member artist G. Walter Coles created this technically stunning rendering
    for AntiqueOldcars of the '55 DeSoto tri-tone 4-door Coronado special spring
    edition. Do yourself a favor and search Walter to see more of his fine work!
    Also, he's willing to make quality prints of any of his work (LOTS of auto makes,
    BTW) suitable to frame and display in your den, garage or man cave.

30. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Is there such a thing as a cool Desoto?
    Yes if you get one from Alaska.