Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical is there ford flathead starter mounting upgrade

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnny bondo, Mar 10, 2014.

1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

well as it turns out i had some time today to get to it.... got some fresh bolts in hand, and when i unbolted the starter to inspect i noticed that the 1935 ring gear just could not handle it. lucky for me the broken teeth ended up right at the starter hole otherwise i would have wasted more bolts on it! so i think what was happening was the teeth would spin fine for a second hit the bad part and jump on top of the broken teeth, pushing the starter hard to the side and ripping the threads off the bolts.

what sucks tho, is the fact that to get to the flywheel, i gotta basically dissassemble the entire friggin front half of the car....... on a car that i needed to sell like months ago..... kinda just wish i could light it on fire...... im thinking ill knock off another 1000 just not to have to do this job, i really dont have the time. i have the flywheel tho.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Called it!

Yes it's a bummer that Henry designed the whole flywheel to fit inside the pan. Not one of his better ideas.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, at least you found the source of the violence. You can light it up with the handcrank for now, until you get up the steam to tear it all out.

4. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

had some friends over today, got the flywheel replaced, starts fine! drove the car! yeahhhh!!!!

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

CONGRATULATIONS !!!! Glad you have a Happy Ending :)

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Cool beans!

7. 3340

Great! Glad You Found The Problem!