Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Is there anyone building 36 Buicks as Customs or Taildraggers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Oct 18, 2012.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am asking this because I am getting ready to finish my brother in laws 1936 Buick 4 door sedan. He wanted a 4 door model due to the old 30's gangster look as he calls them and the fact that he has a family and my three nieces just love the car. So the thing we are doing is installing a Mustang II and newer rearend. We already have a simple driveline for him a SBC out of a 69 Chevelle. I know another SBC well he is not rich and doesn't know much about cars other than he wants it to look good ride good and be dependable.

So it is what it is in the drive line department. But I am looking for inspiration as to over all looks of the car. So far we will have it lowered with rear bubble skirts that he already has. He is wanting a visor but I am not sure what it will do to the looks of the car. The color he wants is a deep dark purple almost black but in a satin finish.

We really want to run the stock 15" Buick wheels they are an Artillery looking wheel with a 5x5 bolt pattern.

Please post pics if you guys/girls have any we really appreciate it and i will post pics of this thing for those who care to follow this thing . Thanks J.lockwood

2. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

This is similar to what he [​IMG]wants but maybe a bit lower

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

BTT anybody LOL.... or are these just not cool enough :)

4. I went to the carnut.com website = and these are the closest thing to the
    one you're working on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dang that's gonna look cool!!!

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks Chaddilac, I am just now getting ready to get back on this project. I been held up on it because my 13 yr old boy had gotten real sick with Rheumatic Fever and it eventually led to him having open heart surgery and the replacement of his Mitral and Aortic valves. He had this operation almost 2 months ago so I am just waiting for him to be able to go back to school full time before I can really get going on this but I will be getting at it and plan to keep this thread updated as much as possible. :)

8. chaddilac

chaddilac

The rear tire stuffed alone looks killer!! Keep posting when you can and focus on that boy!! :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

lockwoodkustoms likes this.
  9. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Nice coupe running at Bonneville in the XXO class, see landracing.com & search for it

10. Curt Six

Curt Six

Those taillights are bitchin.

11. quiettfxgt

quiettfxgt
    from london

I am just now getting ready to get back on this project.[​IMG]

12. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

[​IMG]

It has been a some time since I have been able to get back to really building cars due to my 14 yr old sons health issues. But he is doing much better and now I can get this car done for my brother in law. The new game plan is to turn it into an open car like a Phaeton body style. The style build we are trying to achieve is that of an early custom car would look like in the 40's. The car however is rolling on a stretched 1983 GM G body that I stretched 14 inches. The engine is a mild 307 c.I. SBC with a TH350 trans. My brother in law wanted a dependable good quality driver for the area he lives. Being he is not into fixing things himself is the reasons we decided to go with this set up. He lives about 3 hours away from me as well.

The game plan is to create an early style custom first by removing the roof completely and then recreating the body to look as though it was a true phaeton body. I plan to roll the top edge of the cowl and doors like that on the 35-36 Fords. I will be removing the entire window mechanisms in the doors and narrowing them as well like that of an open car. As for the dash I an cutting it loos being GM welded them in the bodies and re working it to fit under the cowl also like that of the open cars of this time. The cowl vent area will be filled and I am planning to make a Duvall inspired windshield to give it a more custom feel. as for the other body mods I am keeping it simple like lowering the headlights 4-5 inches, relocating the rear taillights and removing the door handles. We are planning to run the original trim on the body. As for the wheel and tire combo we are using steel wheels that will be wrapped in 6.70 x 15 Firestone Wide Whites and period correct Hub Caps.

We are planning on having the car ready for the 2015 Customs by the Sea show.

13. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

14. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Today I was playing around with windshield ideas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

16. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Rolled it out to see how things are looking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]