Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there any hope of getting out of this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Oct 1, 2013.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I'll agree it has gotten that way. After all, my initial post was merely asking what the car may be worth in it's current condition.

2. modeleh

modeleh

No, there is no hope. It is a burden you are going to have to learn to live with. It is a disease and there is no known cure. Now go out and buy another project car to make yourself feel better like the rest of us do.:) One day you might realize you have more cars than you can handle, but by then it will be too late.

3. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

I'm gonna give you good advice. You shouldn't sell a car that you your father worked on and clearly has a connection to without him knowing. You should be up front about it. You should be sharing this situation with your Dad.

Man up

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Diavolo

Diavolo

I agree with Butch. Man up.

Do you have an OT daily driver? How much did you pay for that? It's totally fine for someone to buy a new $40k car but more than $10k for a "new" car with apparently lots of sentimental value to "the family" not just you.

IMHO, man up and finish it or give it back to your dad. You already said you don't need the money.

Or just sell it behind your dads back because your selfish and suffer the consequences.

5. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Go on and sell it, Im sure your ol man has you figured for a wimp anyway...

6. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

How old are you OP??
    Post the pictures--
    You aren't going to get over this hurdle asking a bunch of strangers-made friends on the internet in a forum for which you are merely a member..
    Let dad get upset--fuck him.. If he wants it--then maybe he can buy it from you for $18k..
    BUT-get this--I've got over $25k of MY money into my '62 VW.. IT was my first project completed and I put a lot of time into it--no one elses.. I drive the piss out of it, have crashed it, broke down in it, sweated my ass off in it, experienced serious parts failure in remote areas and dead batteries in embarrassing situations.. I will NEVER sell the car unless some coked-out billionaire throws money at me.. And even then I'll probably just deny he ever handed any cash to me and keep the car.. If you have as you said put so much work into the car--then you must not value that. Give yourself some self respect which you likely deserve in large doses--and finish the car and put a fucking grin on your face when you mash the gas pedal.. You owe it to yourself and your mental well-being.. (and ours for reading this entire thread).

A "Driver" does not have any set or determined cap on it's cost to build--I would like an Audi R8 as a "daily driver"--but then again--I am looking forward to driving my '48 Ford Sedan with the flathead purring rather than dreaming about such ridiculous$ car ownership.. Gotta be real--and enjoy what you have--and quit making things up in your head..
    If you can't get out from under the rock that is giving you all the heartache--then talk to a friend--put the car away for awhile in a safe spot--and get "right"... You WILL be glad you did..

7. Larry T

Larry T

Maybe give it to your dad. Sounds like he's invested in it too.

8. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Sounds like a car your dad would like to have. Tell him you aren't interested anymore and take what he will offer you for it. Your dad will not be happy no matter which way you go, at least this way he will have some input. Better yet, just give it to him.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now wait a minute...that's not quite true.

"...some things have happened recently that have me thinking of selling it despite(or possibly because of?) it's sentimental attachment. I don't need the money or anything like that, but unless reality does a complete 180 and somehow places me back in my past I don't see any possible change in the things that have me so mentally messed up regarding this car..."

So you made it sound as though you're dealing with some heart-wrenching issues. And these fellas are trying to help, despite the fact that you haven't given us much to go on. We can't expect you to divulge all here...but it makes it difficult to give you the best advice.

How much you might be able to sell the car for is inconsequential until you do as was suggested, and talk with your dad. Tell him you wanna have a talk, tell him you'd appreciate his advice, and set some time aside to do that. Just you and him. I'm sure the two of you can figure it out. Good luck.

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

11. 55Belairretrorod

55Belairretrorod
    from Australia

I think I feel some of your pain here. I have a '55 Belair 2dr post LONG TERM unfinished project. Similar scenario to some degree, bought the car when I was in my early/mid twenties wanting to build the car like the one in the magazines. 25+ years down the track it is now painted, engine & trans fitted, all chassis and brakes done, front & rear glass in, wired. Most of this work was completed 10+ years ago and since then not much has been achieved. Since buying the car I've met my now wife, had 2 kids, moved house 3 times etc etc. Had the opportunity at one stage to swap it for a 67/68 Camaro running/driving licensed etc but to this day I have never once regretted not doing the deal. This is the car I wanted, much like yours is the car you wanted, and one day I'll get it finished. Some days I look at it and it shits me to tears because the project as a whole just seems overwhelming. I've learnt in time not to look at it as one big task, but to break it down into a number of smaller, more manageable tasks. Keep knocking off these small tasks and one day there'll be no more tasks left to tackle. The best thing that has happened in recent times is a good friend agreed to garage the car at his house for a while. Among other things he has a bigger shed than mine, but more importantly he drove me to work on the car. It was quite enjoyable to go around there one night a week and make some progress on the car, have a JD or two and shoot the breeze a bit. We ended up knocking off a couple of jobs that I was dreading starting (glass run channels etc for one). The car's back home now and I'm fired up to some degree to get into it over our upcoming warmer months and get all the dash together, side glass in, and exterior body moldings fitted up, at which point we're getting pretty near to finished.
    Take the advice that a lot of people have offered, park it for a while, maybe lower your standards to some degree and when it's time to get back into it you'll know. I know if I'd sold my project any of the times I'd considered it I'd be pissed until the end of time when I saw someone else enjoying driving it somewhere down the track!

12. Ok, if all you want is a price, put the parts in a box and haul her up to easten, mn and I'll give you $3500 sight unseen,,,,,,,,there, problem solved

13. stimpy

stimpy

I don't believe the car is your problem sounds like your having personal issues , I been thru this before ( to the point I had to give up this hobby for several years ) , and it needed professional help to kind of cure it , when you start to over analyse things thats the tip off , your putting money and time and nit picking things over enjoyment . basically your turning a hobby into a job

14. brad chevy

brad chevy

Quit being scared of the old man,ask him if he wants to finish the thing. Scared of daddy to post pictures of the car . The way you describe the car,you have a car just needing put together. You said you have $18,000 in it but are harping on the $10,000 dollar max in a driver. Get your but out in the shop and fix the car or post pictures of all the parts and car and sell it for best offer.

15. cavman

cavman

Give the damn thing back to your Dad......and feel good about doing it. Another car will come along, another Dad won't....

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Btw...it's difficult (if not impossible) to build a nice car for under $10,000...even if you do ALL the work yourself. And apparently, you paid someone else to do a quality paint job. I suspect that ate up some cash.

17. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Dude, none of us can help you but since you asked.

Many here are of the opinion that your issue is the sentimental thing but I think it is the money thing. You started this project expecting a certain level of completion for a specific amount of money (10K) and you were wrong. No big deal unless you are obsessed with money and it is the thing by which you value everything. :eek: I hope not cause if that is the case, you are f*cked. If it is the case, sell it and never buy another old car again.

Playing with old cars is expensive and a Falcon is not a Tri-Five. Now finish it, park it for awhile or sell it at a loss.

Whatever you do, get over it quickly (get a new puppy and some big boy pants) or you are gonna go nuts. Remember, this old car thing is supposed to be fun...

Sorry to be so blunt but I calls um as I see um.

18. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

I'll do $3,600 :D

19. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

ditto :confused:

20. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

thats some funny shit right there :D

(why did i read this entire thread? or care? )

21. tobyflh

tobyflh
    from Peru il

It sounds to me that you want an award winning car for under $10000 and it's not turning out to well and you think someone else should give you all your money back.

22. classic gary

classic gary

I'll give ya $11,000.00 and come and get. And when I get there I'll tell you stories of cars I've gotten rid of just because of some, silly to me now, reasons. Then we can cry on each others shoulders.......

here's a "starter list":
    yellow '57 3100
    blue/white '56 210
    blue/white '59 biscayne
    ralley green '69 Z28, (a rather infamous car).
    blue '67 El Camino
    and yes there are more.
    ALL had some emotion in them.
    Remember it fondly or otherwise and move on.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  23. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Haha. Wow, just Wow.

24. fsae0607

fsae0607

Hell yeah!!! :D :D :D

To the OP:

This hobby is supposed to be fun. Sure there's headaches, but when you solve the problem you get a rush of endorphins and you get the warm & fuzzys. Since you haven't really been specific about why you feel this way, I'm going to assume that you're burned out. Give it a break and work in it when the bug bites.

If you really want to sell it then be up front with your old man. At least give him first dibs on it.

If it's depression as others have mentioned, see a doc.

Good luck!

25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

There's a certain resolve "car guys" have in dealing with long term projects, and actually how we view the hobby. I know few that actually expect a "ROI" on a build as it's value is intangible (and monetarily meaningless to a point). It's the enjoyment of achieving something, or learning something new, or being part of the lifestyle. I find it hard to be a "car guy" and anything else. It pretty much consumes my time and money, and is a major focus of my life. Maybe that addiction is what builds the resolve. Don't know, but it doesn't matter... it is what it is. I guess it comes down to this..... this "hobby" sounds more like a diversion for you than a lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to have the same results with your interest being passive. If you fancy yourself a "car guy", it's a vastly different kind than most here.

26. Man up and admit to your dad that your heart ain't in it and does he want the car,,give him the opportunity to buy it from you. HRP

27. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Because of it's sentimental value this car was going to be "the one"... that is, the closest to perfect that I would ever own. Now that this is proving to not be the case, I can't deal with it. I have no problems with drivers, mind you. But if it is to be a driver, I expect to not have more than 10k in a vehicle by the time it is completely finished.

ANYTIME you, me, or ANYONE else expects perfection, or pretty damn close to it, you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment. NOTHING is perfect, and if you expect it to be, you will always be disappointed.

Clearly, you're angry at yourself for spending so much money on a car that will not be what you want, and this car reminds you of that mistake. So...

Either realized you fucked up, accept it, and carry on with what sounds like will be a very nice ride when done

OR

Realize you fucked up, sell it, loose a boatload of money, and start over.

I'm for the first option, but think that you should just give it a rest. Walk away from it for a while. Forget it's there. All wounds heal over time.

Chris

28. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I did not expect a show car for 10k. I already have 18k in this one and until recently was fine with that. If I am building I "driver", however, I find one that I can have built for under 10k. I have not ever had, nor do I expect to ever have enough money to feel comfortable putting more than that in any car that is only going to be a "driver". Even though the car has sentimental value it is still not worth having 20+ in any freakin "driver" to me. In addition, the sentimental value is a big part of the reason that I was so adamant about having it near perfect. If it had no sentimental value, I could have just slapped it together and sold it after a couple years and who cares.

I do consider myself a "car guy". It's pretty much all I've ever known or cared about. It's just that this one car, because of the sentimental attachment, has a completely different set of rules/expectations than any other vehicle on the face of the earth.

29. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I never looked at it quite this way before, but there is a lot of truth to this.

30. Try some simple math,
    18000 minus what you'll loose selling now- use 40% for argument's sake.
    That's 7,200.

So build your "driver" for 10gs and add the 7200 loss-
    Now anyway you look at this you'll have 17,200 into your 10g driver.
    Might as well finish what you have and be done by spring.

Chew on that for a while and...
    Then pm a mod and have them close this.