Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is Shades of the Past going to be a bust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60 ford, Aug 15, 2010.

1. 60 ford

60 ford

We are tring to make plans for our end of summer trip. We usally go to Shades, but now that it they moved it do guys think it will be worth the trip,or will everyone stay home.

2. I'm still going and I know Deuce Roadster is going to be there also,,I have no idea what to expect,,except if it is going to be on the asphalt at Dollywood it's going to be hot!

Like the N.S.R.A. in Knoxville,Tenn. you don't know if you don't go,,So I will give it a shot,HRP

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

While in Pigeon Forge recently, I went out to the new SHOW location

[​IMG]

Getting in/out of the new place should be a LOT easier than the old hole down in the bottoms location. The main concern I have is all the pavement ... which might be HOT :)

I have heard a LOT of folks say they are staying home. :confused: :confused:

I believe it is worth taking a shot and trying it. The town is always full of cars ... ( sometimes too way too many Off Topic types ) but the town is always fun, plenty of good eats and the wife likes to go and shop at all the stores.

The main reason I like to go is to see old friends, hang out and of course ... the ALL DEUCE Gathering on Saturday. Usually about 125 or so Deuces ... all in one area.

4. 60 ford

60 ford

We have been going to Pigeon Forge a few times a year for the last 20 years, been going to Shades to see the cars for the last 6 years. I was afraid the cars wouldnt be their. I always liked the field on the farm,its not as hot as asphalt.

5. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Best time, best crowd, best place,new show place has to be an Improvement,might actually make it to it last few years wouldnt make the attempt to get back to the show because of the JAM.Absolutely the best place to be for a hot rodder.If you aint been you aint live in.But if you go BEWARE OF THE COPS they are Pricks.We ll be there

6. 66L-79

66L-79

What are the dates for the Shades Show

7. I have been going to the rod runs every year since the OutLlaw Rod Runs in Gatlingburg,Tenn,,when Pigeon Forge was a wide spot in the road,,

The only problems people have with the police is when they act stupid and do burnouts , park where they are ask not to,,or drinking in public.

I have never encountered any problems with the long arm of the law but I try not to act like a idiot. HRP

8. September 10-11,,2010,, HRP

9. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

sept has to be cooler than july. no shade at the old place i throught it sucked.

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The Shades has been held in September for a LONG, LONG time ... :D :D

At the old location ... you could put up a small shade canopy :)
    They SAY no tents at the new location.

I HOPE they mean no stakes in the ground ... like the BIG awnings that have been put up at the old location.

[​IMG]

I have a shade canopy I usually put up and so does my friends.

[​IMG]

I plan on puting it up ... but I may have to take it down. :eek:
    Just have to wait and SEE :eek:

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

12. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I remember the burn outs in the streets in Gatlinburg yes it was out of hand and got ugly,But I am here to tell you the Cops are pricks,There was a group of people watching a kid do tricks with a remote contolled car in the hotel parking lot stupid cop stopped his crusier in the middle of the street jumped out and ran over and snatched up the kids toy car and headed back to his car.Everyone started booing the cop till he gave it back to the kid.I seen em go down the street writing tickets on every parked car that had a for sale sign in the window.Saw em right ticketts for bumper height.I realize they have their hands full and need to maintain control but they are WAY OVERBOARD:mad:

13. The move comes down to a matter of an asphalt parking lot vs. a dusty field.

The traffic & heat will be everywhere.

I'm going & looking forward to it.

JH

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

As far as them writing tickets on parked cars with FOR SALE on them ...
    At a LOT of the motels and businesses ... the owners request it ... BECAUSE ... the vehicles are there ... but the owners are NOT patrons. Every jackleg old car owner ( want to be used car SALESMEN :eek: ) brings their junk out on Tuesday and Wedneday and leaves it there until Sunday afternoon trying to sell it. I have seen more than just one guy have 4 or 5 vehicles ... trying to unload a few . Most are not HAMB friendly vehicles ... most are just wore out old JUNK. Then there is NO parking for the real customer of that business.

I myself have no problem with a person trying to sell his car ... but these guys are there every year with 3, 4 or more vehicles.

I say write them up :D

15. jinxd

jinxd
    from ohio

There's also a gas pump show in Sevierville the same weekend. It's at Chip's Dixie gas. Found this on the show schedule. Just thought someone may be interested. It's the 9th thru the 11th.:)

16. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

That sums up my position as well just need to to finagle time off for it.

17. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

been to shades of the past many many times Never been to the actual "show location" anyway so it doesnt matter the real show is cruisin in town.Thats where all the fun is. Who wants to sit in the same spot all day?

18. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I have been going since it was in Gatlinburg also so I am in for this year too. Get to see some old friends and eat good too plus a few thousand cars show up.

19. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I agree with you on people bringing stuff dropping it off and not moving it till after the grand run the next week but its a free country I thought,since when is it against the law to have a for sale sign in the window.There was a guy a few years back lived there parked next to me had a modified pulling lawn tractor all chrome plated candy paint,stacks,this thing was killer had a for sale sign on it,cop did not tell him to move it came up to him and wrote him a ticket.Did not even give the guy a chance,he wasnt hurt in a thing he was proud of his machine everybody loved it I ll bet there was 1000 pic taken of it from the crowd

20. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

So Carlos how many tickets have you got there:rolleyes: just wondering most people don't bitch unless they got a ticket for something dumb :eek: as they would call it....If you don't like stay at home just my .02 :D I've alway had a blast there I set up my chair and enjoy the show.

21. BLACKIE HARVELLE

BLACKIE HARVELLE

iv been there alot have met and know carlos he needs a ticket or two ill be going up for shades and staying for the grand look for the red 51 merc see yall their,i cant wait,:D:D

22. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

so far no Tickets friend got locked up twice in his 55 gasser pulled the wheels up behind the red roof inn.His dad drove his blown 32 down and bailed him out.Blackie you know where I will be come on over and have a beer.Becareful how you cross the street some barny fife will get you for jaywalkin

23. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have been going to the Great Smokies for a rod run in the fall since 1969. Yes, first in Gatlinburg and later in Pigeon Forge. I have been to every one the Shades of the Past events ( and a good many of the Grand Runs ).

I have never seen anyone locked up or messed with who did not deserve it :(

Not that it has not happened and I did not see it ;)

I was in Gatlinburg the night they turned on the fire hoses. But even then ... the crowd was asked to break up ... a couple times before they turned the water on.

I would have locked a BUNCH of rodders over the years for some of the stupid stuff I have seen ... good thing I am not the PO-PO :)

24. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Its just a matter of preference. I never thought the dust was that bad at the old location and they did make efforts to water the road.

I can only imagine that the asphalt will be blistering at the new location.

I will give it a shot this year but I do have my reservations about baking on the asphalt without a shelter.

Yes I wish they would have explained in detail about the shelters, I read a previous post and he was thinking it may be that they don't want holes driven into the asphalt................Might also be the fact that they don't want shelters taking up parking spots. Then you theory is blown to heck.

Someone may have figured that if 3000 rods show up then there will need to be 5500 spots available. Not hard to do if you've ever been to a rod event in the heat and walked the grounds.

25. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

For a guy into cars ,good people,friendly family atmosphere,lots to do,buyin sellin and tradin cars,mountains,music and FOOD,motorcycles,gas station memoribellia and lots of people this is the place,Like I said watch the cops if you churp a tire they will have you they dont play

26. John B

John B

If you think the PF cops are pricks, try dealing with the city government. I was a State Director for KOA when they did events there in the early 2000s. I saw first hand the hoops the made people jump through and fees they charged and I'm sure I just saw a small portion of it.

Myself and another Director (he was from Indiana) were working the front gate at the show and watched a cop cut across three lanes and traffic, almost causing an accident, to yell at a guy for cracking his pipes as he backed into a parking spot at the hotel. All while keeping a hand on his gun. Then as he walked past us and heard us talking about it, he came back and threatened to "haul us in" . When we asked what for, we were told they would find something to charge us with.

If Pigeon Forge fell into a sinkhole tomorow, wouldn't bother me one bit.

27. I'll be there with all the usual Maryland suspects. Lighten up on the cops, they are doing a JOB - PROTECT AND SERVE!! Cops keep the idiot count down low, imagine if they didnt show up. Why stay home because of a change in venue? We go for the whole week. The mountians alone are worth the trip. Dont forget to take a ride out to Maggie Valley to the Wheels of Time Motorcycle Museum...I promise no disappointments there!! I would go if they stopped the show altogether because of everything this area has to offer...get out of the parking lot and drive your damn car!

28. the-rodster

the-rodster

You bringin' Snooki ??

Rich

29. ratster

ratster

i'll be there trying to sell my c-cab body

30. saucerhead

saucerhead

I,ll be there . For many years, Bobby Alloway and the rest of the members have supported all participants by giving them a great show to attend and have had many great giveaway cars. The awards they give are second to none. All you people wining about the hot blacktop probably wined about the mud at the old location. Just go and support a great show!