Register now to get rid of these ads!

is Jahns still around? whats the scoop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Obsolete1, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

i cant find any info on wether or not they are in business or not, i know the nam echanged hands. anybody got the scoop?

2. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

I believe that Egge Machine puchased all of their assest some years ago.

3. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

thats unfortunate, they used to have pistons for everything!

4. rld14

rld14

You mean the old style ice cream places near NY City? There's ONE left in Jackson Heights, Queens. I remember going to the one on Route 4 in Fair Lawn, NJ when I was a kid.

5. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

haha, no but funny considering the name of the thread,

Jahns was a cast piston manufacturer, they had alot of high compression pistons for alot of different engines, they started in 1912 i believe.

at least we still have Silvolite!

6. Jeff is the last and he sold out some years ago he is playing with turbos has a pinto that runs mid 8s hell of a nice guy. lives in grants pass oregon a few miles down the road from me.

7. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

hey hey! my home town is central point! my grandparents live in grants pass! small world.haha.

yep too bad about jahns. i sure would love to have a company like them around.

8. The remnants of Jahns Engineering (the forged piston side of the business) had its name shortened many years ago to JE, you got it, that JE. I don't know what happened to the cast piston side, except my dad always told me they were THE WORST pieces of sand cast junk he has ever seen.

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That's pretty funny,I remember hearing that crap long ago also ,but I had no prob with them, I knew how not to run timing too high and or gas mix too lean.
    They were a hell of a good buy for the $,but forged is more foregiving.

10. Muttley

Muttley

Cant help you with any new info but their old decals sure are cool looking.

[​IMG]

11. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

ya, most likely, if im posting its going to be something odball and obsolete. hence the name.

for me, if its normal, its no fun!

12. Danny G

Danny G

Call 800-854-3540 Italked to them 2 years ago and were told they were owned by Grant piston rings and the Jahns is on a small scale.

13. Everyone to their own opinion...We were JAHNS distibutors for many years..sold hundreds of them,,main problems with them was customer mis-use..In those days 50-60s-70s Mr Brandine was head man there

14. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

thank you very much! ill call now and report my findings.

i always heard good things about Jahns pistons, they were some of the best pistons you could get. some people really have anamosity toward cast pistons,

15. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

just got off the phone with grant rings, they are the official holders of the name, but havent produced pistons for 3 years. the lady on the phone did not know if there are any plans to resurect the name.

16. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

17. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

they dont have a good track record. if you choose to buy from them, inspect their parts thoroughly.

i heard recently a guy put egge pistons in his engine and they all seized within minutes. apparently they cam ground the 45 deg. from the wrist pin instead of 90. freind of mine had bearings done by them and threw a rod during break in, their pistons tend to seperate from the skirt under load also.

they problably produce some fine products, but i dont support them because i take pride in my work, and my parts supplier should do the same.

im starting to get into patternmaking, and ive found a book on casting pistons written by a guy who casts pistons for his resto projects. this would be a nice option for many applications i can think of.

18. Obsolete1

Obsolete1

one good thing i can say about egge, is that in all the horor stories ive heard they always seem to take the parts back and try to make good on them, which is comendable.