Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it me, or is anyone else SICK of this "rat-rod" crap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironhunter, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironhunter

ironhunter

I'm talking about anything and everything being advertised or otherwise spoken about as a "rat-rod", "great to build a rat rod!", "would look good on a rat rod"! I vote the next time somebody calls our style of rod a "rat rod" we put a size 11 up their a**.
    My god, and to think this all started with some gold chainers being total asses and making fun of "real" hot rods. What really blows is when one of us (I've been guilty of it myself) refers to our hot rods as a "rat-rod".
    I vote, let us refrain from calling them that, or acknowledging any dumbass that disrespects our rods in that manner.

I showed some pictures to a fella tonight, a couple Hambers cars included (one was Nads car) and the first thing out of his mouth was, "oh, you're into those "rat rods". I'm telling you, I almost slapped him nekkid and hid his clothes. Right then, at that moment, I promised myself I'd never, ever, ever refer to our beloved rods with that derogatory and disrespectful terminology again. I told him, "No...that is a term used to disrespect real hot rodders by a few big-money car owners who don't know how to build a car and I guess driven by jealousy to try and elevate themselves in their own minds above us who do. Our cars are "hot rods" as they were when there was nothing else. Traditional hot rods is what they are and they are either "period correct" right down to the fabric on the seats and wires to the paint schemes and colors, or they are built in a manner to closely resemble a vehicle built in a specific era. They have nothing to do with rats!"

Anyway, the term hot rod was not given originally to a billet cookie-cutter car, or a glass car(no offense to the trad guys with glass), a Honda Civic, or a stomped flat, unstreetable, waste of good vintage tin. It was used to refer to stripped down early lakes or other racing machines with their suspension parts exposed. Duh! A f**kin TRADITIONAL hot rod.

So, who's with me? Is it just me that's absolutely had it with "rat-rods", or at least the term being used to describe "traditional hot rods"?

2. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

ME TOO, In the 70's building choppers, if it had flat black pipes it was a RAT BIKE and eveyone laughed at you until you chromed it, if you painted a car flat black you were pestered until you painted it.Idiots now want you to take a good rod and make it look worn too be cool. I have a truck I flat blacked in 88 ,not to be a rat ,but because I liked the color, now it's called a Rat. It,s not a rat it is a worn paint job. RAT ROD builders to me are in the same group as people as fans of ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPER .

3. ironhunter

ironhunter

good to see there is at least one that's on the same page in the hymnbook!

4. BinderRod

BinderRod

Gee Mr Obvious, I never thought of that.
    Do you need a bigger stick to beat that dead horse?

5. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Dave

6. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I agree that the term has been beat to death. ALOT of uneducated and or ignorant people refer to Billetproof as "the rat rod show" WTF. I can't even begin to tell on how this pisses me off to no end. I guess that their lives are so boring and dull that they have to come up with something to help further themselves in social status. For anyone who has half a brain would know how ignorant they really sound.

7. ironhunter

ironhunter

If it's a dead horse, why are there so many references to them on this forum? Did somebody just forget to bury it?

8. BinderRod

BinderRod

Because people like you keep digging the horse up:eek:

9. ironhunter

ironhunter

hehe. So now I'm the bad guy? WTF

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm there with ya Ray.... I hate the term...

11. ironhunter

ironhunter

Yeah...good point. Exactly what the forum should do; I'm pissed off and you make a good point that makes me step back and look at it from a different angle. Not just try to piss me off more(ahem). Reminds me of what I told my daughter once when she came home crying because a little smartass called her a name. I asked her if she was (what he called her), and she said no. I told her then that makes him a liar, and she's guilty of nothing.

Thanks skidmarks...you're alright
    U2 Z

12. GrantH

GrantH

you COULD afterall educate the person in all of 1 minute. or....you could come and make a topic on a forum and let the guy keep going about his way.

13. I'm an ol' graybeard and I'm sick of the term,,,but then again I hate cell phones and the term street rod more than I dislike the term rat rod.:rolleyes: HRP

14. Jimv

Jimv

I kinda liked it better when they where refered to as "Pieces of shit", too bad it didn't hold up like "ratrod" did.
    Ya think theres a Honda board on the net that has someone saying there tired of " Rice burner"!!lol
    I think "rat rod" is just the flavor of the month, it'll fade away as soon as Paris or brittney gets locked up again.
    JimV

15. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

lol

.....this is probably like the 50th or so time this has been discussed on the HAmb since ive been here....

anyways...rat rod is so outta style..i thought the current catchy label was GASSER,BOBBER,BARN FIND

16. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

[​IMG]

17. floored

floored

Yea my neighbor called mine a piece of crap before it was on the road now it's a ratrod. If he ever call's it a street rod I'll do his wife.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahh any one make popcorn? i got the beer..great this is gonna be fun

19. jcruz

jcruz
    from Austin, Tx

...posts about the term "ratrod" are BITCHIN!

20. I Drag

I Drag

Master of irony award.

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

You got the beer? Its 8 am man. Go check into Betty Ford.

22. KernCountyKid

KernCountyKid
    from Arkansas

It's a fad. You thought it was cool the first time you saw one and I don't think anyone deserves a boot in their ass for being late to the party. If it gets people interested building a car it's good for the hobby.

23. You'd think a guy signed on since '02 would've seen enough of these posts and been sick of THEM.

24. hatch

hatch
    from house

Gonna build me a rat rod.....I've already got a REAL rusty dodge aspen, and twenty bucks spending money. It's a four door, but it's gonna be killer. I'm gonna cut the floorboards out, chop the top off, and my mom is giving me my old baby blanket for a seat cover....OLD SKOOL BABY!!!!

25. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Not this again!!! When are threads on this topic gonna end?!

26. beauishere

beauishere

Can we rag on the Milner Coupe after this?

27. Rodshop

Rodshop

I would rather they call it a rat rod than ask me "what color are you going to paint it?" or say it will be "nice" when it done!
    Rodshop

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

heh heh its 5 o'clock somewhere..who is this betty ford? is she as good lookin as betty page:p ..or would i have to drink the entire case to get her to look that way...lol ..jk i know who the bitch is and the beer is in the cooler waiting for 5 pm

29. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

30. Louie S.

Louie S.

If people would stop building these peice of shit rides then the term wouldn't be there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.