Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it me, or did I have a close encounter...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goober, Nov 12, 2005.

1. with a couple of Hot Rod magazine feature cars from 40+ years ago while visiting Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach last Saturday morning? Sittin' here in a hotel in Shanghai (really) and looking over some pics from last weekend. I don't have access to my stash of old Hot Rod mags, but can somebody please tell me if ...

1) this is the surf woody that was featured in an early 60's issue (with a couple of bikini-clad surfer chics)?
    [​IMG]

2) And to get even more freaky ... this barn-find, with Hawaiian plates, reminds me of a HRM feature showing a couple of deuces around 1959 with the owners loading them up for a road trip (got a few more pics of this one if interested)?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe it's the Tsingtao at close to midnight, but they sure look familiar.

2. epinut

epinut

Sorry, can't help you with the magazines. But I'd love to see more of that little roadster, really cool!

3. What's really cool is a rolled and pleated dash!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Eureka! Just picked up the Oct. '59 issue of Hot Rod and there was Haruo Morishige's Honolulu, HI, deuce. Looks like somebody had quite a find.

Attached Files:

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Hey Ryan...someone has hacked into Goobers handle. This thread is old.

6. alchemy

alchemy

The woody is a 1980's creation by Mike Ciavetta (sp?), the cartoonist who drew for a rod mag back then. I think it's a Dodge cowl/hood/grille on a Model A chassis and fenders.