Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it just me or...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gizzy, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Is it just me or does sitting in a parking lot on a hot Saturday afternoon at a " Cruise In " seem wrong? What happened to actually driving somewhere & really doing something when you get there,not sitting in a fold up lawn chair on a hot parking lot.Maybe I'm getting old but this just don't seem enjoyable.:eek:

2. No, you got it figured out!

3. grabrr

grabrr

Same with car shows, years ago I got bored with sitting in a field all day, dealing with all the experts.

4. banginona40

banginona40

Pretty much why I don't go to car shows any more. The fun is getting there and the ride home. For me I'd rather be home working on my car, or some other project.

5. dmac620

dmac620

I was heading to a cruise night yesterday and decided to just stay on the road and keep driving. I had a much better time behind the wheel compared to sitting in the parking lot.

6. I enjoy looking at a bunch of cool (different) cars in one location as much as the next guy. but when I rollling down the road I don't care about anything else. driving is the only valid reason to own any vehicle

7. I agree with all you.. Drive them, dont park them..

8. natez1

natez1
    from washington

While I like driving my car too I also enjoy talking to and finding out what other car guys do. Finding the 1 or 2 cool cars at a cruise-in and getting to talk to the guy who did it is cool and informative. Granted most car there are garage queens but I still find gems that guys work on and care about and LOVE to talk about to like minded gear-heads.

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

drive by with your friends ass hanging out of the window, and honk the horn a bunch. american graffiti style lol

10. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Now that sounds like BIG Fun:D

11. retiredblue

retiredblue
    from california

Well Gizzy got it right- nothing like driving around listening to music and checking stuff out-

12. BCR

BCR

I thought that was Hollywood Knights style.

13. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Thats why the Hamb drags and the Billetproof drags we have here in Lakeland Fla once a year, appeal to me. Wished we had more nostalgia drag races in Fla. Driving out to the Bonneville to the salt flats would be an awesome experience that I hope to partake in one year. Never been much for car shows you'll find me in the swap meet checking out the parts. No fun if you can't drive them or race them.

14. I Drag

I Drag

Yup, that's why we race.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Every once in a while I hear about a local show or cruise in and think "Maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember", so I go. After I am there for a little while I remember that Yes, it was as bad as I remember. :( I get bored real quick and going to these events lost their appeal for me years ago.

I have more fun just driving my car to go get a loaf of bread than paying $ 20 to sit around and watch people walk by and look at my car........I can get that at Walmart for free. Plus, at the local shows you see the same cars and people all the time.

The exception to this is the Billetproof shows and Turkey Run. At least there are different cars than you normally see and they are all pretty much cars that interest me, as opposed to new Corvettes, Mustangs, and other cars that I could see on any dealers lot.

Don

16. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I,m with you, went threw this last nite drove 50 miles around the citys dug it,drove to one of our so called cruz nites drove thu I like seeing old friends.............but BORING so I CRUZ MORE burned up a tank at about 75 to 80 around the cities felt great ,been recharged nothin like blastin down the highway too get the webs out!!!!

17. dmikulec

dmikulec

When I wanna see a bunch of cool cars I just come to the HAMB.

Saves gas too. :cool:

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with you, too. I went cold turkey, from 3-4 cruise nights a week to zero now. I spend a lot more time wrenching.

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

insert beating of dead horse here...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i like going to the shows wheather or not i have a car there. if i do have a car there its a good chance for me to show off what ive done and answer questions for others. i spend time sitting with the car. if i have no questions then i get my lazy butt out of the chair and walk around. tell the other guys if i like there car. ask THEM questions about the modifications. youll be surprized that ppl really enjoy explaining stuff about their cars.

just for example. i was at a car show yesterday with my wifes pickup. well while walking around for the 3rd time i finally realize a really cool modification on this guys truck that was so suddle that i didnt realize it the first 2 times i looked at it. i walked up to the owner and remarked "i didnt even realized this was a later model truck bed." he continued the conversation saying his modifications he did to the bed which alot of ppl dont even noticed. like removing the rear steps off the back half. i didnt even see that up close. i told him it was a very cool truck and walked away.

here is a picture of the truck....

[​IMG]

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Years back when I was building my 37 sedan, I'd go to shows in my Dakota as the tail end charlie in our group. After I had my fill of seeing the cars and the sun, I'd hit the bricks - to the amazement of my friends. Since I didn't have a car in the show, it was easy to slide away. Well, they must have got used to it, because I still do it, rod or not, and no one seems to care. I go to see the cars mostly, but do enjoy running with others a lot, too. The only thing worse than staying till the cows come home is leaving at O-dark-30 because your buds insist you "have" to arrive early to get a prime parking spot. I only did that stupid deal once. Gary

A proud member of the National Folding Lawn Chair Association

22. marxjunk

marxjunk
    from KCMO

i go to the crusie for fellowship...i watch all the dumbasses for a while then go home and work on my junk...we have a couple cruises that draw a lot of cars...and its weird but theres always something new...i enjoy just sitting and talking to buddies...watching retards discuss stuff they know nothing about...i guess i really like the people watching...and we make fun of everybody....kinda childish, but i like laffing at stupidity quite a bit...

23. Model T1

Model T1

I don't know Don personally, or really impersonally! But seem to agree with him a lot. Being old and lazy it saves me a lot of writing. Adding to the places Don goes, we love to make a few 140 mile trips down to Kissimmee, Fl for the Old Town cruises. Also we love the Sumpter county and Webster county shows and swap meets.
    Our local car club died because of inner fueding. Some of the regulars sort of revived it with a non-club club. They meet just for fun at Taco Bell on Friday nights. We haven't been for several years because it's the same 15-20 cars and the same people.
    For awhile, it was fun just to stop and visit. But, we can park our old car at Wally World or the grocery store and usually visit with a few of them most days we shop.
    As for car shows, I got cheap since retiring and donating more of my money to hospitals and doctors, so stopped donating $15-$20 to car shows so others can look at my car. Rarely did I get a trophy anyway and the garage is already full. Driving there was always 1/2 the fun. So we just keep riding around now and it's all fun. We were never the kind to sit on our butts in lawn chairs at a car show or at the beach. Whether lookin at cars or girls, I see more while moving around. ;)

24. Model T1

Model T1

I do miss this sort of adult intertainment. Maybe someday we'll come to a show near you and we can make fun of each other !:D Almost as much fun as watching people at Wal-Mart!

25. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I do agree with you, I guess I had to vent a little.

26. daddio211

daddio211

Street rods have lawn chairs in the trunk. Hot rods have tools. 'Nuff said.

27. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

driving is where its at with me as well. I go to cruise ins and car shows to meet up with like minded people. I drove to florida for the turkey run yrs ago and the trip down was awesome...and couldnt wait for the drive back,lol...the car show wasnt nearly as fun as the time behind the wheel. has anyone done the cruising the coast? that might be cool

28. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Googled the National Folding Lawn Chair Association and all that came up was Walmart... :D

But seriously, folks, I'm the same way - I like to park outside the ropes so I can leave when I want to. There is a lot of fun to be had cruising with friends, but I also like solo runs 'cuz then I only have to worry about my own schedule!

Not many organized "cruise nights" in my area. Lots of local-type car shows though, which can be a lot of fun if you approach them with the right attitude. You'd be amazed at what turns up at some of these. Last summer I saw an original '57 Chevy hardtop that was owned by an older couple - the husband bought it new just before they were married. They took their honeymoon in it, still owned it and loved showing it off. Very cool. But in order to hear stories like that you need to move around, mingle, and talk to people instead of parking behind your car on a lawnchair. I can sit in a chair at home.

The cars are cool, but it's the people and the stories that go with them that make it fun.

29. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

I live on the outskirts of Houston (southwest side) It is easy to get out into the country and drive the farm to market roads. Lots of fun, little traffic to worry about , just cruise along listening the the motor. One of the local clubs has a Pie run during the Thanksgiving holiday. They all get together with their cars and make a run to a smaller town to the West of Houston have lunch and some home made pie then cruise around in the country for a few hours and head for home. Never been able to attend but they always have a great time. I go to local parking lot/lawn chair cruises to look at the other cars but driving to and from is where the real fun is.

Mike

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Post 1950 cars have the hoods open. :rolleyes: