Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it better to push or to pull that is the question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Blurr, Jul 15, 2008.

1. The Blurr

The Blurr

I have a 1960 Thunderbird w/ a 390. It runs nice and cool going down the road. But when I slow down or stop at a light it starts to get hot. I just have the stock gauge in it so I do not know the exact temp but I know its getting hot. So my question is should I get a electric fan and if so is it better to push the air through or pull it through the radiator? Or none of the above?

2. Mike

Mike

It's better to pull ait through the radiator rather than push it. Also, a fan mounted on the front of a radiator to push air will block air flow at speed.

3. Do you have A/C? Stock motor? Clutch fan? The mech fan should do it, maybe the radiator needs to be flushed/rodded out.

4. The Blurr

The Blurr

No I do not have A/C and no it is not a clutch fan. You are probably right with getting it flushed out. O/T question what in hell is your avatar doing?

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Make sure your timing isn't goofy and everything is generally healthy, there's no reason the stock system shouldn't work fine.

But back to your question, a puller is more efficient than a pusher. And will net a few horsepower by removing fan drag. But opens another can of worms upgrading the alternator to something compatible with electric fan draw.

good luck

6. DrJ

DrJ

Cars with an inoperative Vacuum advance or one that's hooked up wrong for the type of engine/distributor/carburetor setup will run with retarded timing at idle and that alone will cause it to overheat.
    Even with a radiator that isn't clogged up. Check both/all of the above.

7. The Blurr

The Blurr

That makes alot of sense. That is somthing I did not even concider. Thanks

8. Don't forget the pulleys,,,always make sure the water pump pulley is smaller than the crank pulley. HRP

9. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

1ST THING.. pull your thermostat out and run it without it to see if its malfunctioning.. ive had this happen numerous times. they make shit like theve always made shit.. shit..

10. slammed

slammed

Highway speed, everything is fine? Hot only when slow speed/idle? Airflow! Blow some compressed air (gently) through the outside of the core, both direction's. Could be some dirt, dead bug's ect lodged in the cooling fin's. Properly spaced fan/shroud will play a role. A puller (or 2) work's well.

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You're getting a lot of good advice here...
    With a situation like this, you have to remember one thing: when these cars were brand news, they weren't overheating at stop lights. A lot of guys lose sight of that.
    Once you realize that, you realize there's a problem with one of the components--adding an electric fan is going to be a band aid, but won't solve the problem.

When you start modifying things, then you need to start looking at improving the cooling system. But if you're running stock, and having a problem, start looking for a defective piece, just like you would have in 1965 with the family car.

-Brad

12. The Blurr

The Blurr

Very good point and very true. It is not completely stock it has a 390 instead of the 352 that came in it but it shouldn't make a differance.:confused: Right??

13. I believe that's Linda Vaughn with a popsicle. Maybe you should put popsicles in the radiator to keep it cool.

14. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have been pretty lucky with pulling the air through the radiator.

15. The Blurr

The Blurr

Sir....You are a genuis! Popsicles fix everything.:D

16. To quote Wolfman in A.G "Sticky little mothers, ain't they?"