Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is a low budget hot rod even possible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

put Caddy up for a trade & place Wanted ads too, here, craigslist, etc. a few years ago I put a wanted ad in local newspaper for a running Hot Rod, $7500 or less - got one call and ended up with a street rodded Model A that had aftermarket frame, SBF, all steel, etc - needed paint, interior, etc but, was lots of fun - ya never know

2. aaggie

aaggie

I'm going to get yelled at but since I was married for 44 years and raised 5 girls it won't hurt my feelings. If you want a roadster and want a Hot Rod why not think of something like an older Miata with either a 302 Ford or LS Chevy conversion? They can be bought cheap and kits are available. I know it wouldn't be HAMB friendly but it would get you into the hobby while you collect parts for the eventual dream build.

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Learn to do this and your car is free. My girlfriend never built a car before or sold anything on the internet and she did it her first time out for $1 and was driving inside of 2 years.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-girl-builds-a-hot-rod-for-1.825604/

There was a running and driving, bone stock Model A chassis at a local swap meet last year that sold for $1600, and I had (at the time) a 26-27 T RPU body (a shortened up touring car, but all Ford steel) that I had bought for $400 With a handful of bolts I could have been driving it around the parking lot for $2K. Juice brake upgrades, dropped axle, V8 swaps and all that are all possible and you could do them as you go instead of all at once.

Money is an abstract concept, it's not a real thing. Value/wealth is different and there's shitloads of value out there that can be turned into money, it doesn't all have to come from a 9 to 5 job. Learn the hustle and you'll have everything you could ever want.

osage orange, BradinNC, Tman and 3 others like this.
  4. pitman

pitman

If the sq stl frame tubes extend forward equal to the stock Model A type, then just cut a curved wedge out
    of the the two tube's vertical sides. (Use a stock frame profile for a pattern) Hammer down the top-and weld a way!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  5. Gman0046

Gman0046

The term "low budget" is strictly defined by the thickness of your billfold. Whats "low budget" to some is "high budget" to others. A better way to ask the question would be to put a ceiling on dollars spent.

Gary

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpg It's kinda one of those things .. If you have to ask... Probably not... I built this car for about 6 k as you see it... To get it done for that required a 1,500 welder , $300 shrinker and stretcher , a guy with an english wheel , and brake and acess to a machine shop ....that I was employed at ... , their scrap bin,a lot of tools joe average doesn't have..

a $400 body a $50 CL motor $50 frame ,free trans, free rear ,$100 implement paint

New brakes, new radiator new tie rod ends, new tires... Full on new build basically with used motor trans and rear, took over a year to build , sold it for 17k ... Work a part time job for the other 10k , you'll be ahead of the game

pitman, Hot Rod Nut, trollst and 4 others like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

adam401 likes this.
  8. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

It's doable, I will have less than 8K in my 28 Tudor, with a complete new frame, and fresh 286 stroker flatty. But we also own a full machine shop so I'll have less than 2K in the engine. We also have a full restoration shop and I can do all the work myself. If these things are not available it may be difficult, now for that 8k the car is not painted as nd has no interior in it I'll easily have another 5-10 invested in these aspects, but will be able to drive the car and enjoy it while working on it. My suggestion is buy a project, there are some close to running setups all the time for 5-6k. Take the extra 2-3 and get it going.

Sent from my XT1585 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange and shawnsauto1 like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have another suggestion which is build a T bucket. You can get plans for free or very cheap off the net. Buy $200 worth of rectangular steel tube and have it welded together for a frame. Buy a RWD junker car or small pickup and scrounge engine, trans, rear axle, wiring, and everything else you can. Finish off with a fibreglass 23T body. Or, there are kits you can buy that make everything simple.

In the meantime be watching the ads and going to junk yards and swap meets and see what you can get for cheap wheels, parts and accessories.

It doesn't have to be a V8. A good 4 cylinder or V6 will make a little T bucket scoot. You can build a car that does not cost much, and have a lot of fun.

10. Fender1325

Fender1325

Thanks all for the input. Lots of food for thought.

11. GearHead614

GearHead614

A buddy and I built this car for me about 8yrs ago and I had about $8500 into it. That's including everything! Mig gas, bolts, spray paint, steel, fluids EVERYTHING! And that includes a $200 350 sbc, Free TH350 trans, $100 body.....its the small stuff that Nickle and Dimes you. I would definitely built it a bit different nowadays(less RR ish) but it was a super simple,reliable car and I miss it some days

Attached Files:

12. GearHead614

GearHead614

But there was quite a few things that I could have done cheaper but I wanted the more traditional parts. I rebuilt 40 ford brakes instead of using disks, Hurst Cheater slicks and Firestone dirt track fronts instead of just regular radials. Spun Alum tank instead of a cheaper plastic one etc..... So I probably could have done it cheaper but it wouldn't have been as cool.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

14. A Boner

A Boner

Maybe not you, but many do. I always wonder, when I see someone at a bus stop, do they realize if they quit smoking they could afford a beater car and a little gas for if.

falcongeorge likes this.
  15. oldolds

oldolds

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, with enough talent you can, but the second you use the terms "order" and "E-bay". your chances go down exponentially.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

I started out wanting to do it for $10,000. I wanted a sedan or thought I might settle for the right pickup project. Had to be steel...at first.
    Once I started seeing what that would get me and still not realizing what the smalls would add up to, in hard dollars, I found a glass vicky project that was never started, just "accumulated parts."

I've spent $19,000 so far, plus 550+ hours...still need an interior.

But I couldn't bring myself to paint and install the engine without rebuilding it, same with the trans and rear end. A lot of the accumulated parts were junk....or maybe I'm just picky.

I thought about a "new steel" body, so id have more old skool friends, but the body alone is $22,500. About what a rusty Henry body would cost once it was to my liking. So my cars glass, if it costs me friends, so be it.

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Just because your Cadillac doesn't fit this bill doesn't mean that another full sized car couldn't. Obviously you like the idea of a hot rod, and I get that "roadster" vibe. But there are plenty of good, full-sized cars or trucks that would do everything you just described. When I was 17, I was daily driving a 57 Bel Air with a 283 to high school and then 250 miles each weekend down to Delaware and back to visit my girlfriend, who was in college at the time. That was a fun car, primered, a little worn inside, but stopped well, steered straight and went down the highway easy despite not having OD. I wouldn't think twice about throwing my amps and guitars in it to go play gigs. It was an honest daily driver. The same for my old C/10 truck. I'd use that to haul gravel.

The major cost amplifier that you have is that you want a "hot rod". Frankly, that's what makes it a worse choice for what you want to do, since it will be lousy in the rain and be essentially a nice day driver. If you want just a beater classic car that is a stick and you can cruise around comfortably and reliably, you don't need a hot rod to do that.

19. The Shopping for those funding type fix & flips never stops.
    It's not easy to find the right fix and flip so it's a constant search. Sticking to one type and style greatly increases your profitability and turn around time. Spreading out and diversifying quickly expands your knowledge base.

There's no way to build a hot rod for $6000 unless every hour is free or bartered and every part is, reused, recycled, rebuilt, repurposed. You'll be on the road quicker getting a second job and saving every nickel then buy something completed.

clem likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, I found my 1930 Roadster body in 1962 and it was free in exchange for cleaning out the garage it was in. Real slow build, with some luck my grandson will finish it. eBay is a great way to fund things, ANYTHING can be sold there you aren't limited to just car parts. Bob

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I would lean towards a modified build, on a Tbucket frame (2x4 with tube cross members and a Model rear crossmember), junk yard 350 with simple dress up and scrounging/pick'n'pull/swapmeet parts.

A roadster body will always cost more the most other body's, but a beat up touring and a non-fordson round-ish gastank will get you a long way.
    And if you keep running the parts nobody looks for there will always be easier and cheap to get on the road.

Like if you want a good gearbox, look for a tree speed out of a tri-five, on a street rodder forum. They think it's all junk and ready to throw it in the bin. So price is fair.
    Or a rear, don't go for a 9 inch or a 12 bolt or a locker rear end, because all the other guy are looking for the same thing.

And the list goes on and on, think out of the box and swap all the wrong parts.
    And if you buy a rear ended from a running and driving car, it's possible that you don't need to redo brakes/bearings.

Best of luck, keep posting pics when you start building.
    2 simple advices that keep price down:
    Ask twice, measure twice, cut ones and stick to the plan!
    And KISS!!!!

Fender1325 and steinauge like this.
  22. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

A lot of everything everyone has said is true, it's not easy the first time because you are learning. But if you're patient and persevere you will drive a hot rod!

So my suggestions:

1. Build the frame based on a Model A frame dimensions. All Model As bodies used the same frame and the earlier 26-27 roadster body looks great on it as well so even if you don't have a body now you can start putting together a low buck rolling frame. I do recommend going "spring behind" on the rear because it's cheaper and easier to get it low. (Search if you aren't familiar with these terms)

2. Keep it simple. If you start doing something odd or "reinventing the wheel" it's way more time and cost. See what everyone else seems to be doing and working and copy them.

Remember, teenagers in the 40's and 50's were doing this WITHOUT THE INTERNET. You have a giant advantage over them.

23. Squablow

Squablow

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Yes. My '29 in my avatar was on the road for right around $3,000. Paid $1000 for body and frame. No it's not a 100% traditional hot rod but I have thoroughly had a blast with it for the last 13 years and thousands of miles.. It's not finished and probably never will be. But it's done for now.

Sent from my A520L using H.A.M.B. mobile app

ring gap, wedjim and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Legendlives

Legendlives

I've built a few cars on a real budget - the current one is being done the same.
    I've waited for parts to come up at the right price and bought what comes up when it comes up, and I've been working on whatever is available at the time. I sell off all parts that I don't need (PAS pump and AC compressor from the engine to name but two, and all of the chassis/running gear from the original donor car) that allows more spending. Currently I'm waiting for steel sheet to come along so I can make sill panels. I've got a nice drop-tube axle with hubs for $100NZ, new front springs for $100NZ, Aluminium fuel cell for $100NZ. Wheels cost me $850NZ, rear axle was $50NZ. The largest expense was the engine at $1000NZ. With the parts I've sold the car currently stands me at less than $3000NZ total (I think that's about $2000US).
    And don't think that my cars end up as beaters. My last car was all over the UK car magazines and ran 9's at the drags on DOT tyres. My total spend over a 7 year period was $20000NZ which included four different engines, three transmissions, two sets of diff gears and shafts, two superchargers and a plethora of carbs and injections. I doubled my money when I sold it.
    Short answer is yes, you can build a great car on a small budget if you have patience and can do all of the work yourself.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Fender1325

Fender1325

Im all about DIY.....as much as possible.

On a side note, I get the coolest feeling while out in my 50 cad and somebody is out in their cool car they bought new (porsche, ferrari, mustang, challenger) and I roll up in the basket case Ive spent a lot of hours on and its just the most satisfying feeling to have an authentically cool car I put together from a different era and theirs was just bought. Dont get me wrong, those cars are great, but the old stuff is worlds apart cooler.

wedjim, volvobrynk and GearHead614 like this.
  27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I think your best bet would be to put a sign in your Cadillac offering to trade for a Model A and see what comes of it. Lots of people at car shows have projects at home that have stalled and they might just want something that they can drive immediately.

volvobrynk, trollst and Fender1325 like this.
  28. trollst

trollst

Yes, you can do it, but it requires very good talented friends who will trade for work done. Junkyard parts, selecting an engine-trans that will get you on the road to start, tons of sweat equity and most of all using your noggin for more than smashing a wall. 1946 caddy says it best, that's probably the cheapest route.

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Follow that act with a model A with a flatty and '39 trans, I think the key word would be disappointment.

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I think you are totally right, but this ain't bad, and doesn't look bad, a roll pan at the rear would help it a lot,

Wonder what frames is under it?

But that would be fun to push around town. Running and driving at 8grand with a title seems fair!
    Maybe he is up for a trade, and six shooter cheby ain't a bad mill, but can be made to be bad @ss mill

wedjim likes this.