Register now to get rid of these ads!

is a Chrysler flat 6 the same as a Dodge?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J'st Wandering, Jul 11, 2007.

1. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

A neighbor has a 1948 Chrysler with the flathead 6 motor that has a cracked exhaust manifold. I have a Dodge of the same year and was wondering if the motors are the same. Will the manifolds interchange? (He would like to put the Dodge manifold on his Chrysler)

I am heading to the little swap and shop over at Iola so I will be gone for a couple days but I will check on the responses when I get back. Thanks again. Neal

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Chrysler is longer i bet. Got a tape measure? Check it out.

3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I looked at his last night but did not have a tape along and was kinda short of time. Then I came home and looked at mine. Now that you mentioned it, the dodge did seem to look alittle smaller. I could only get the one side of the hood open so I couldn't get a very good look at the manifold.

Neal

4. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Nope ........ Everything on the Chrysler is longer than a Dodge

Wont interchange :(

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Plymouth-Dodge-small Dodge truck use one spacing, DeSoto-Chrysler-medium size Dodge truck use the other. Split your new manifold for duals while it's being replaced !

6. mackster

mackster

7. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I'm pretty sure the difference in engine length is only 1 inch - people move the radiator to the front of the support brackets and get it to fit. I think manifolds will interchange, not 100% sure. The place for these cars / motors is the P15-D24 forum, http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/index.php
    Good folks there, tolerant of both restorers and rodders.

8. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

There are two block lengths, the short block (218/230) is about 23" and the long block (251/265) is about 25".

The manifolds are not interchangable between the long and short block engines.

Pete

9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thanks for the responses. So, he will need one from a Chyrsler or Desoto. I will pass on the information. Neal

10. I have an Ellis two-carb intake that I believe will fit that motor. I bought it after I got my Plymouth but it's bigger so I assume it's for the Chrysler/De Soto.