Register now to get rid of these ads!

is 4" too much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Aug 11, 2010.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im going to order up a dropped axle for my relatively stock 33 coupe, will 4" be too much as running fenders etc.

2. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Order the 46" wide axle, it will look killer with the 4" drop.......

3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks mate. Just wanted to make sure I wouldnt have clearance issues with the fenders.

4. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Yep. 46" and 4" drop is what you want. Check out Superbell for axles. SoCal Speed has them and are Allience Vendors.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010

5. wpouldn't drop it more then 3 inches myself.

6. You might want to do a little research regarding the axle itself before you order (if you haven't already). Lots of talk around here regarding cast or forged etc. I have no opinion either way as I am not running a solid axle, but there certainly are people out there with opinions on what is safe and what isn't.

Cheers

7. I have the same question about my fendered '34...

So, anyone have pics of the 46" 4 " drop installed???

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check the scrub line...................

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

exactly where i was headed.

tire and wheel combo..and whats hangin down? ...Pan? steering equipment? etc..

10. Weasel

Weasel

What are you doing with the rear? Stock height or lowered? Are you splitting the front wishbone? Reversed eye front spring? You need to get the visual balance right. Personally I would drop the rear 2" if I were contemplating a 4" drop and a reversed eye spring. If I were leaving the rear spring stock I would not drop the front more than 2". My worthless 0.02c....

11. Fogger

Fogger

When it comes to axles I only consider two choices, original Ford or Chassis Engineering forgings. I base this on my own and friends experiences.

12. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will be an original that is dropped 2 1/4 which apprently like a SoCal 4" drop. Do not want to split the bones, would I have to? Will be reversed eye and maybe lose a leaf or two, same at the back. Thanks.

Ah yes Scrub line will certainly drive this. As Im living in China and car is going to Australia and I want to buy all my parts in the US, just trying to come up with a recipe before shopping. Thanks guys - appreciate it when people look out for my safety.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, I hope 4" is fine or she's gonna dump my arse!

Doc.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dropping the original would be a very nice way to do it, but you would have the advantage of a bit more fender clearance with the aftermarket 46" axle. either way you will probably end up dropping the steering arms a bit to make things fit. You'll need to do Hydraulic brakes on this car too, I'm not aware of a way of using mechanicals on a dropped axle. As long as you keep your wheels at either 16" or 15", scrub line shouldn't be a problem. And yes, an original '33 axle that is dropped about 2 - 2 1/4" will be pretty damn close to an aftermarket 4".

15. If you buy a 4" axle & DON'T want to split the bones, make sure the spring perch bosses measure the same as the stock '34 axle.

If I remember correctly, when I dropped my '38, a Magnum Axle was the ONLY axle that maintained the same measurement between the spring perch bosses.

JH

JH

16. A 4" dropped axle is really going to give a 2'' dump to the front over a stocker.

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Correct^^^^
    The new axle people would love you to think 4” or 5” lowers your car that much….its BS.
    46 “ is to narrow for a traditional style fendered car . It will look tucked in like a pro stocker.
    They are for cars w disc brakes - 6 or 7 inch wide rims and short fat tires.