Register now to get rid of these ads!

Introduction - Familial 23 Model T

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by NewToMeT, Dec 17, 2018.

1. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

Hello everyone,
    Been lurking for a few weeks, but couldn't post because of the surprise element. My father is an old time hot rodder. Built a few including a 32 ford pickup in the late 60s, and a 23 Model T in the late 70s. He was searching for a 31ish ford coupe for another project this year, so I helped him out with a few wide ranging searches. In that search though I caught another prize, the Model T he had built for sale a few hundred miles away, sold in the early 80s, and been through at least 5 owners that I can track. Well, I bought it, unbeknownst to him, and surprised him this past weekend that it was back in the family!

It needs some love, so I plan on doing the work, not as a show piece, but a really nice looking car that can be driven around town.

Details:
    23 ford T
    283 SBC
    TH350
    Effenhouser 4x2 with 4 Holley (look like 3 x 94s, 1x 2100)

The good: Starts right up. Frame is good, suspension, brakes, etc. Has about 85% of the original details (original paint, exterior design elements and lettering, motor, intake, interior, gauges)

The is what it is: rear was changed out, removed the custom rear leaf suspension and fitted with off shelf coil overs. Changes the rear subframe from built lattice to plain something... changed from straight pipes to current setup

The Bad: If you give it any throttle, the thing dies immediately.... (expect some requests for help posts shortly)

The plan (any advice is welcome)
    1- Change fuel filter (done) Confirm fuel pressure (done -3.5)
    2- Change plugs (done - very sooty, slightly weird pattern with half post covered soot, with other half kinda cleaner)
    3- Confirm timing and TDC, change if needed. Confirm advance is working as it should, vacuum, etc
    4- Rebuild Carbs (old gas all over outsides so gaskets obviously shot) check float levels, ultrasonic everything. Obtained Economizer valves better suited to a 4 carb setup.
    5- Fix leaking timing cover. Adjust valve lash and change oil at this time.

20181127_154816.jpg 20181215_160411.jpg img11242018_0001 (1).jpg img11242018_0011 (1).jpg img11242018_0012.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    flatheadpete, 34 GAZ and Black Fifty like this.
  2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. WOW, that is some family heirloom to find and get back in the family. Jimmie

Black Fifty likes this.
  3. Welcome to the HAMB. Sweet T! Great story about finding what your Dad had built and sold long ago. You'll get plenty of help here with getting things straightened out on the car. Good Luck!
    Mike

4. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

That is a super cool build. I love the vintage photos too.

5. Barry Scales

Barry Scales

My first guess with it dying when opening the throttle is the accelerator pumps aren't working properly. I'm not familiar with the Holley 2 bbl but there might be slack in the linkage or gummed up check balls. Can you see them squirt when the throttle is opened?

6. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

Thanks for the reply. The carbs are pretty gummed up overall. I did look down the barrels and pull the throttle and the squirt in each of the 4 carbs, along with between each of the 2 barrels was pretty variable. Have rebuild kits in hand and plan on tearing them apart, running through the cleaner, checking float, replacing everything that is replaceable.

Almost thinking timing stuff first given how quick it dies? (i.e. not really bogging or stumbling), so thinking to do all those checks first this weekend before I pull the carbs and put her to sleep for a while.

7. Welcome, cool story. Looks like the last five owners took good care of it.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Awesome story! Good luck on getting it road ready.

9. NewToMeT

NewToMeT

Ouch, guess you know you are getting old when someone refers to a pic of your childhood as vintage :)