Register now to get rid of these ads!

Introducing The Ford Barn... Officially...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 27, 2010.

1. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Had kinda forgot about the barn. I joined there years ago and met some great old guys when I was searching for parts. Seems like a good fit to me, thanks for keeping it alive!

2. Deadbird

Deadbird

Good work boss. The new layout looks great! Hope the old timers like it.

3. krooser

krooser

Ryan,

Thanks so much for rescuing Ford Barn... it's been a great source of Flattie info so long... hard to live without.

I hope the regulars over there realize that we, on the hot rod side of things, have nothing but love for those old Fords...

4. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

Ryan,

Thanks for saving a great site that was run by a great lady for many years. Love the new format.

5. He's the guy that was complaining because people were posting pictures - because now they can!! Heaven forbid some would illustrate what they were talking about by posting a picture!!!:)

Oops, I see he did it in that quote too!

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can see a lot of HAMB members ending up with restored cars and the same the other way with some of the restorers joining the dark side.

The views here re what is a trad rod are probably as equally strong if not stronger then the restorers views on cutting up cars. That these two sites are now linked, even if only via Ryan etc, will see a huge benefit for both sides of the fence.

When posting over there I guess we all need to just show a little respect as its all about restorers and telling them to pull out a sawall and buy a SBC is only going to alienate them from what is really their site. There is now so much easy to access information - I am stoked for everyone.

7. I think a lot of web communities would benefit from Ryan's magic. When are you going to acquire Yahoo? ;-) Their groups desperately need better formatting.

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Congrats buddy Signed up the other day.. some good stuff

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the new format, found some new friends over there, good bunch with lots of knowledge to share.

10. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Wow, what a transformation for the Ford Barn. Looks to be much easier to navigate now. Glad to hear that it's not only surviving, but thriving.

Apparently the old logins didn't transfer over, I had to re-register, am glad that nobody had taken my log-in name yet though. (30_Deuce)

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I have been here and on the Ford Barn for several years and like the new and easier to navigate improvement of the Ford Barn.I also moderate the 1952-56 Ford social group here and one of first posts I put up on the new Ford Barn "late model' section was an invitation to check out the social group here on the HAMB we picked up almost 20 new members in just two weeks and everybody is "playing nice".Our social group just celebrated our one year anniversary and now have a total of 320 members,Ryan you did a fine job! only one suggestion I wish we could post pictures on the social group the same way we do here on the main board.

12. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Fordbarn is a tremendous resource, thank you, Ryan, for taking on what must be a monumental amount of work to keep it alive. I can't wait to do a search and be able to access all of the archives from years of priceless V8 knowledge.

Kiwi Kev's post earlier is a great example of what I think of the HAMBer/Fordbarner 'relationship'. That pic of Kiwi Kev hammering that awesome coupe with a big saw: 'So you are saying they don't like this kind of stuff...'. It's obvious from this thread that many of us HAMBers can appreciate a nice stock V8 Ford, but still prefer a loud, fast, hammered hot rod. The older guys over there are not as accepting of the other side and some are pretty threatened by the HAMB invasion. One old guy dubbed the Fordbarn as the 'Hambarn' (clever, actually!).

Either way, I still like them, the site, and what they have to say about the cars we all love, even if they don't like me. It's just about respect (no salty language, no talk about cutting sheetmetal), I mean, I didn't even sign up with my HAMB user name because it has 'hell' in it! Kinda silly but it's an important subtlety when respecting someone elses turf. And make no mistake, it is THEIR turf. At the end of the day, THEY make the Fordbarn what it is, no matter the format.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very well said! How is the '36 project doing?

14. barfers

barfers
    from Florida

15. Ryan,
    Thank you so much for "stepping up to the plate" and saving a great site that was painstakingly nurtured by the Model A Lady. We almost lost it completely, and then you came along, saved it and pumped new life into it.
    As far as the complainers go; I have realized long ago that some people will complain even if you hung them with a brand new rope!
    Good luck, and thanks again for saving this valuable site.
    And thanks to the Model A Lady for starting it in the first place.

16. metalman

metalman

I find the Ford Barn much better also and seeing how the older I get the more I appreciate originals I've been enjoying it. Thanks, Ryan. Taking to heart what Ryan is saying, hot rods here, stockers there I decided I should switch the avatars I was using on both sites. Moved my 40's flatty pic here (thought it might be too "flashy" for FordBarners!), no problem. Went to move my "stock 32 pic there, can't find how to do it. Anyone know?

17. I like it and signed up... I especially how it's broken down into body styles and it's now way more user friendly... unlike the "old barn" i.m.o.

That being said... would it make more sense to really break down the body styles to "32", "33-34" or "32-34" etc. and so on? Not a knock... just an observation.

I'll mostly be in the "A" aisles :)

18. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The Ford Barn was built with steel, The Chevy Barn was built from wood, Chevy Barn didn't make it...

:D

I have a user name and lurk over there, but I have been too scared to actually post...

19. indianhead74

indianhead74

It's a good move! Indy

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I noticed you don’t propose breaking the T section up into ‘09-‘14; ‘15-‘16; ‘17-‘22; ‘23-‘25; and ‘26-‘27; nor the A section into ‘28-‘29 and ‘30-‘31.

I think the mechanical similarities amongst the cars is what keeps them together. The ‘32 to ‘48 cars are similar enough to work on that it makes sense for those guys to be grouped together, lest somebody with a ‘34 miss something relevant said by a ‘41 owner, etc.

That’s also why guys with a 350/350/9-inch get such a cool welcome over there, they’ve removed any similarity they had to an early Ford aside from the skin.

-Dave

21. budd

budd

i think its looks great, i just joined and posted my first question, i need help with T trans bands, please and thank you

i just had my first reply..woo hoo

22. Fourdy

Fourdy

Metalman,

This has been my Avatar on the Barn for sometime. Never had to hide the fact that it had some "after market" items on it. LOL

Fourdy

Attached Files:

23. I based my comment mainly regarding the body style... not the drivetrain. It really doesn't matter... like I said... I'll mostly be in aisle "A"

Man was it nice last night being able to use the search function... found these to stare at among many others. I seem to be noticing a lot of HAMB'ers over there. :)
    [​IMG]

24. Decker, wow, what a picture you posted there, my friend. Just stare in awe is right. Kinda says it all, doesn't it?

25. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The old site didn't have "logins" - I could log in as you. The current format is much more secure from some of the chicanery that did occur over there (people posing as others) - while infrequent, did start some unneeded crap.

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!:D

I've probably been on Fordbarn longer than the HAMB - I hated the format. Shelly tried to change it at least twice that I can remember, everyone bitched and she changed it back. But I know the database was becoming more and more unstable...probably why search was turned off. And searching - please - nearly impossible. So thankful it's in vBulleting now...but just about anything would've been an improvement.

26. Wow! Congrats! I like the new graphics on the website.

27. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

I should've said the Fordbarn Classifieds had a log in that I thought might transfer over.

28. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

There were two classified sites - the main one used the same software as the main forum and required no login. The one that required a login didn't see nearly the traffic the main one did.

The login in site was a vestige from one of the times Shelly tried to update the software, if memory serves correctly - everyone revolted, but she left it up in parallel.

29. Steve

Steve

looks good Ryan!

30. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Ryan,
    Congratulations and thanks for another great resource.
    Bill