Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Interesting trip to the Hardware store

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by strait8, May 19, 2018.

1. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

So I was doing some adjustments on the linkage of the 3 speed trans of my 51 Buick. Looking at some of the springs that connect to the linkage and clutch pedal they appeared to be in need of replacement. Since the weather was nice I took the Buick to the local hardware store to see if they had some of the springs I needed. When I got there I popped the hood that opens sideways and removed the springs that I needed to bring inside for comparison. As I was doing so a man stopped to ask about my car which is very much a jalopy. I recognized him as one of my neighbors from 4 or 5 blocks down and introduced myself as did he. We had a nice conversation and talked about some car shows that we enjoyed. It was nice to have finally have met him and get a name to the face that I see occasional in the hood. I then went inside to look for my springs and left the hood on the Buick open. When I came out there was another couple outside looking at the Buick. Then 2 more older gentlemen came over. They all asked me about the car and what I was doing and going to do with it. I explained the spring thing and that I did not plan to paint it and all those typical questions that get asked. Then one of the gentlemen (his name was Carter) says my dad use to design cars at GM in the 50's. He says he was in charge of Olds and Cadillac. I asked what his fathers name was and he says Art Ross. The name was familiar but did not help me. So I shared that I was currently reading a book about Harley Earl. He says "oh yeah, my dad worked with him and was friends with he and Bill Mitchel". Now those names I was familiar with. I asked him and the woman he was with if they lived in town and he said no I live in Chicago and she stated that she lived in town. He then goes to tell me that he once got to drive a concept car to a high school dance or prom but was unable to recall the name of the concept car. I threw out the names of a couple of the Buick's that I was familiar with like the 1951 Lesabre, and the XP-300. He said he thought it was back in about 1954. I tried one more time and said "the Wildcat-I or Wildcat-II" but he was not sure. I told him I was a big fan of the "Y" job and he said his dad had a part in it's design and that he had seen it back in the day on numerous occasions. He went on to say the car he had driven was blue and had a rocket something and had numbers on the side. He thought "88". By this time the lady with him wanted to get going. I told him I was going home to look at my book more closely for his dad. I fired the Buick up and he just smiled.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Serendipity! Great, isn't it? :)

Ray

loudbang likes this.
  3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Fantastic, I'm sure you needed to pinch yourself to be sure it was not just a day dream...
    Lucky you.

loudbang likes this.

4. F&J

F&J

Most people in this too busy time, really do want to talk to strangers or "people". If you drive a vintage car or have something even like a dog with you, that is enough to make some come up and talk.

I swear I meet 1000 per month, but I am super outgoing.. I will just blurt something out to get them to stop for a moment to chat.

See the older guy in the pic below, walking up the steps to the dairy bar? I had the 32 as usual, and he came over to me, saying he had a 32 3w bought back in 60-61 for $150. Then as he starts to walk away, he turns and said "you can't believe how many 37's (Ford coupes) we cut up" (stock car racing). I then opened my door to show him 37 Ford hood-side trim I cut down on my door panels!

There is a guy next to me with a red shirt...I had not see him in nearly 30 years, we both worked State DOT...he noticed the 32 which got his attention, then naturally looked to see who owned it! I used to drive a hotrod roadster to work back then..lol..
    DSCN0061.JPG

Ok, the a few days prior at a local store lot, a guy age 60, comes over, says he still has his 32 Ford cabriolet he got at 18 years old, he is one town away!

5. Google "Art Ross" Buick. He was the Chief Designer and there is alot of info about him. Interesting guy and artist.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Not only does driving our cars get us to meet some people we would never meet, but it can lead to other interesting things. I once had a '58 European VW. Some the differences between the European and US are the bumpers were single blade without the overrider tubes and semaphore directionals. On day I was leaving a parts store and an older gentleman asked me if I knew that my car was a European car. I told him I did and was surprised that he knew, many people don't. He asked me if I wanted any early VW parts and of course I said yes. I followed him to his house and he gave me an incredibly rare set of luggage for the '58 and an accessory "land mine" gas tank. He refused any money. I tried to tell him how much the stuff was worth but he insisted that I have it.

7. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for sharing, great stuff right there!

loudbang likes this.
  8. strait8

strait8
    from Skokie, IL

I checked out some of his artwork. Some of the pin up stuff is cool and looks like nose art from the war. Some of it iiiiis....let's just say is not exactly traditional. Here is a link to the website that hosts his art. http://www.theartofartross.com

According the book I am reading The Cars of Harley Earl by David W. Temple Ross became chief of Oldsmobile in 1947 right around the time Bill Mitchell replaced Earl as VP of design. Temple also gives credit to Ross for heading the styling efforts of the 1954 Regal Starfire. There was also another concept car the XP-20 also known as the F-88 that Ross responsible for in the design phase. Temples research seems to prove that possibly 4 were completed. Three were identified as F-88 1, 2, and 3 for 1954. The single seems to have been a 1953 having shop order number 1768. The 54's were specifically made for Harley Earl, Sherrod Skinner and the last was a Motorama show car. I am guessing the gentlemen I met drove one of these cars to his high school dance. Makes me wonder if there is one of these "missing".The 1959 Oldsmobiles having the rocket at the beltline were also credited to Ross. I will try to post pictures from the book showing these rides.

catdad49, F&J, Hnstray and 1 other person like this.