Register now to get rid of these ads!

interesting rare gmc pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Sep 8, 2013.

1. At a local car show today. A interesting GMC pickup was there. I heard there was only 11 in existance. Very cool truck. Interesting engine as well. Check out the cooling outlets going to the heads.
    Owned by a local parts and machine shop,Piston ring. Been around since 1953 and caters to old car guys.
    Thought i'd throw this in especially for the chevy pickup guys.

Attached Files:

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sign in front of the truck says about 1800 were made.

3. Yes but how many left. I didn't say 11 where built. That is what i heard and not claiming that.

4. It's a Pontiac engine. All the older GMC's (before Corporate engines) had either Olds or Pony engines in them. My dad had a small fleet of them and they all had Pny's or Olds engines.

5. LOVE the Pontiac power

6. While both the '58 and '59 GMC V8 engines were advertised as 336-cubic-inch (5.5 L), the '58 version was based on the Pontiac 370-cubic-inch (6.1 L), but with a smaller 3.875-inch bore giving 336.1 cubic inches (5,508 cc). The '59 version was based on Pontiac's 389-cubic-inch (6.4 L), but with a smaller 3.78-inch bore giving 336.9 cubic inches (5,521 cc).

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Search:
    oldchevytrucks.com/blog/index.php/2013/03/1955-1958-cameo-and-suburban-overview/
    I had a '56 GMC 1/2 ton with the Pontiac engine and 4 speed hydramatic. most of the Poncho motors were yanked and a Chevy put in

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very different truck...and also rare to me..
    So thanks for posting !!

9. stimpy

stimpy

the bed is what makes it rare , not the front . the bed is like today pickups . fibreglass panels over a steel inner , Like said before GMCs were Poncho Or Olds powered .
    and most people who owned them bought them because of the power plant , otherwise they bought the cheaper Chevy .

10. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

there were 3 on ebay recently, search completed items for GMC Cameo. Neat trucks.

11. swe64

swe64

my -58 had hydramatic and 336 pontiac engine.now 400 pontiac and th700
    ken
    swede

Attached Files:

12. GMC used Pontiac V8s from 1955 through about 1961 give or take, the 305 V6 replaced them, and not too long after that Chevy V8s were optional as well.

GMC had their own inline six as an option too.

Now when you get into big trucks and busses in this period you can run into Olds or even Buick engines in them. I'm not sure if anyone's done a book to explain what could be had in which trucks, it may even have come down to how it was ordered and what plant built it.

13. Leviman

Leviman

The cameos are certainly not 11 units left rare. I've seen a few of them, including hot-rodded up ones.

14. Tedley,

A lot going on there - thats' for sure .... ;)

Nice pics - thank you for posting

Jim

15. GMC's version of the Chevrolet Cameo.
    GMC called them Suburban Carrier's, much fewer produced then the Cameo.