Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interesting mini engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boooooob, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boooooob

boooooob

Got this in an email, sorry if it was posted before....

YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THIS CLIP, IT’S AMAZING VIDEO OF TRUE CRAFTSMANSHIP.

AN OPERATIONAL V-12 DIESEL ENGINE THAT FITS IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND.

This is not CNC technology; this guy made everything at home on his lathe and drill press. Took 1220 hours (a year and a half?) to make the 261 pieces. Note the end-loaded crankshaft into the block (like an Offy), 12 individual cylinder heads, TINY rods and pistons, dual "underhead" cams with pushrods to rockers in the heads. And, he did break-in runs using an electric drill driving the crankshaft!
    Even if you're not an engineer, you'll love this!
    http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

boooooob:)

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Every time this gets one of its many reposts, I wonder how this qualifies as an engine.

There is no combustion.

Its moving because there is compressed air being pumped through it.

3. fryguy

fryguy

This is the first time I have seen this and its very amazing.

Not being a smartass, what constitutes it being a diesel engine? Other than the engine working off compression like a Diesel. Diesel fuel gets combusted off of compression but there is no combustion on that tiny one.

Fryguy

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Absolutely correct. It is nothing more than an interesting model that moves. In no way can it be considered an engine.

It is definitely not a diesel engine, or an engine of any other kind for that matter.
    It doesn't burn any kind of fuel or make power. It sits there spinning on supplied compressed air.
    If you spun it with some other form of power I doubt that it would even have any compression that would qualify it as being a small 12 cylinder air compressor.
    It really isn't all that amazing, I have seen other far more complex models.
    There are also lots of examples of very good small engines that actually do run.

5. boooooob

boooooob

Ok you are right, maybe I should have said interesting model, I just thought it was pretty cool if all these small parts were actually made by this guy. Was just an email.

sorry

boooooob:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.