Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Interesting Fuel Gauge Diagnosis...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ShortyLaVen, Sep 22, 2017.

1. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I'm trying to get the fuel gauge working in this '48 Buick I just wired... I have 6 volts going to the gauge, and when I ground the sender post to check for needle movement it doesn't move... The odd part is that when i have power to the gauge and touch the POWER post with my finger, while NOT grounded to the gauge in any way (not touching the gauge with my other hand and working on a wooden bench, etc), and with NO ground to the sender post, it pegs to full.... I already know the gauge is likely bad, but I'm very curious to know what is causing this phenomenon. Any thoughts on this??

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

the sender provides zero ohms resistance at "empty", and 30 ohms resistance at "full". So the gauge should read "empty" when you short the sender wire to ground, and "full" when you disconnect the sender wire.

Sounds to me like it's working perfectly

els likes this.