Register now to get rid of these ads!

install aspen/volare clip in a ford truck; website with tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Sep 23, 2003.

1. atch

atch

a while back someone asked about subframing or installing an aspen/volare clip in a ford truck.

here's a website showing the aspen/volare installation in a '53 f-100:

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/volareclip/volare.html

sorry that i couldn't find it back when the question was asked.

this is not a detailed "how-to', but gives a great description of what is being done. he lists various magazine articles at the end which contain more of the how-to details, though.

when we installed this same clip in clarence ('48 f-1) in 1992 i had a video tape from no limit engineering which showed lots of details and tips on installing this in a 53-56 f-100. the f-1 frame is about an inch narrower than the f-100, so we had to make a couple of very minor adjustements. i've seen ads in the back of magazines from these guys recently, so i imagine you could still get this video tape, too.

don't know why the same steps wouldn't work on any other brand of truck with a ladder frame as long as there is enough distance from the wheel centerline forward to the sheet metal. note: cars normally don't have enough room to install one of these.

2. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First off I am hardley an expert...but i think that is more work then nessesary....on my 55 effie a bought a crossmember kit from 2nd Chance Classic (which just bolted on and required one small cut to allow clearence for the steering box) and went to the junkyard and got the front suspension off a late 70's chrysler cordoba....all just bolted on.....not even the slightest chance for error....but once again i'm not an expert.....

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

I was going to put a Volare Clip in my '60 Ford truck Untill I saw a '60 done that way, It was not nearly low enough for my taste.
    So I went for a Camaro Clip instead. Im very happy with the results but if I would have known about El Polacko's Dakota Kit at the time, I would have done that.
    Using a Volare seems like a dated way of doing it to me (Like a M II in a Model A, but not as bad ) specially since you cant get all the parts to freshen one up.

Anybody want to buy a Volare Clip?????

4. I use volare all the time.I build dropped a-arms too.It gets em down really low.Volares are I think the cheapest way to go.With the camaros you hafta build your rad support/fender mounts/bumper mounts again cuz you just cut your truck in half.......Shiny

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

I know, I just did all that stuff.

So, you want to buy my Volare Clip?

6. Only if its cheap and you pay the shippin!LOL [​IMG]......Shiny

7. I know people who've done the volare swap on a ford truck. Most said they wouldn't do it again. The volare front suspension was very bad, and had a bad case of bumpsteer. Some engineers at chrysler quit when the design came out, because they didn't want to be associated with it. Dave

8. No way is the bumpsteer bad on a volare frontend......Shiny

9. metalshapes

metalshapes

Me pay the shipping?
    I was afraid you were gonna say that......

10. daddylama

daddylama

while i do agree with the bumpsteer, it is only at the extreme compression of the suspension that it is very noticable... when the A arms are parrellel to the ground, or somewhat close to it, the bumpsteer is non-existant in a stock configuration. Properly modified, the bumpsteer is non-existant througout the travel of the suspension.

Ive had volare clips in a few cars now, been extremly happy with them all...
    BUT i never really liked them in anything with a high center of gravity... like a truck.

11. brewsir

brewsir

anybody that has sen my truck can tell ya that its plenty low.....and I get no bumpsteer at all.....maybe because I boxed the frame to the uprights to prevent them from flexing in ...I don't know...hell maybe I got lucky, but I love the way my truck rides and handles....and for about $350 it was VERY economical!

12. atch

atch

bradberry - it's the $$$. you just can't get much cheaper than volare. i gave $100 for the clip, replaced a couple of the rubber bushings and one ball joint (the ball joint was a couple of years later). end of spending. and it works.

never heard of any bumpsteer problems. clarence has had a volare clip for over ten years and i've never had a hint of bumpsteer.

oil burner likes this.