Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Inside a carburetor venturi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Hines, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Is gas supposed to be dripping like this? I always imagined it misting a little finer than that?

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope if that is at idle, really nope.
    Start with float level and float seat.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods and Deuces like this.
  3. RmK57

RmK57

Only time it should be coming out of the booster is if your accelerating. Yes, start with float level, fuel pressure.

gimpyshotrods and Deuces like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

NO fuel should be coming out of the booster at idle..!
    That's what the transfer slot at the butterfly edge in the carburetor base is for...also, the controller of the amount of fuel is the mixture adjustment screws.

If the above video is at idle rpm -
    1. Too high an idle speed.
    2. Floats too high.
    3. Fuel pressure too high.
    4. Needle/seat leaking.
    5. Leaking float.

Mike

Doug Hines and gimpyshotrods like this.

5. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

It was filmed at idle. Probably not a slow an idle as it could run. When I set the float level on this '94 I turn it upside down and measure 1.3" from the base to the top of the float? Is that to high. I tried 3 different top assemblies and they all look that way. I set the float on all of them. gravity feeding fuel. I must be setting the float wrong.

6. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

7. jockeyshift41

jockeyshift41
    from Florida

Wondering if you have the correct type of power valve IMG_3432.JPG should look like the one on the right

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy likes this.
  8. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I know what you are talking about. The one on the left has a radius instead of a sharp corner. I bought my kit from vintage speed. His power valves have the sharp corner. I will look again today, but my novice eye did not see the gas coming out of the accelerator pump squirters. The angle that I shot the video makes it look that way. I will also make sure my idle is just fast enough to keep it going. I should add that the thing runs great. I just happened to look in the carb and saw that and it did not seem right.

9. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I lowered the float 1/10th of an inch to 1.4" and it did not change anything. I lowered the idle speed and one barrel stopped dribbling fuel out of the cluster. The other barrel is still doing it? The needle and seat has been replaced with the modern "fuel valve" roto disk thing. It shuts off like it should.

10. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

After looking at a diagram. The fuel is dribbling out of the main nozzle.

11. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I lowered raised the float, got rid of the roto disk fuel valve and went back to the traditional needle and seat and lowered the idle speed. The dripping has quit. Idle speed makes a big difference. Only remaining mystery is that as I slow the idle speed down, one side quits dripping quite a bit earlier than the other side. ? Moving on.